Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Doug, can we do the NPT in 3 days?

Last edited by Neil; 01-29-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
bfinan0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Doug, can we do the NPT in 3 days?
How about 4 1/2?

Last edited by Neil; 01-29-2009 at 10:24 AM..
bfinan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinan0 View Post
How about 4 1/2?
Is that figure based on some study of the distances? Lean-to placements?

Pack weight would have to be very low. Just before bug-out would be a good time. (Ie. saves precious weight on both a head-net and DEET, not to mention the sleep system.)

How many miles long is it? 20? 25?

(JK. I know it's >100.)
Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
bfinan0

Quote:
Is that figure based on some study of the distances? Lean-to placements?

Pack weight would have to be very low. Just before bug-out would be a good time. (Ie. saves precious weight on both a head-net and DEET, not to mention the sleep system.)

How many miles long is it? 20? 25?

(JK. I know it's >100.)
The NPT (excluding the road segment at the Northville end) is 4.6 marathons long.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Neil--if you want to try for a 3 day end to end, I'm in. Really, 40 mile days are not impossible to keep up for just a bit. Pack superlight, and food wouldn't really be an issue for weight calculations. I have a new pepsi can stove...Figure 2-3 mph, 15 or 16 hour days. I know I've started and hiked super hard for 7 hours with a 40 pound pack. Lighten it up to about 15 pounds or less, no problems. I would wear runners, and bring extra socks. My blisters never start until after day four, so this way I would just avoid that, right?
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman1 View Post
Neil--if you want to try for a 3 day end to end, I'm in. Really, 40 mile days are not impossible to keep up for just a bit. Pack superlight, and food wouldn't really be an issue for weight calculations. I have a new pepsi can stove...Figure 2-3 mph, 15 or 16 hour days. I know I've started and hiked super hard for 7 hours with a 40 pound pack. Lighten it up to about 15 pounds or less, no problems. I would wear runners, and bring extra socks. My blisters never start until after day four, so this way I would just avoid that, right?
Only three days on the trail? Wimps.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
bfinan0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Only three days on the trail? Wimps.
If I try it in 4 1/2 days, it would be after a warm-up of climbing the 46(7) high peaks immediately before; but three days? that's impossible!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I'll never understand this "rush" to get any hike done in such a short time...

Smell the roses guys, enjoy the woods and waters!

Otherwise why not just do laps around a track?

Or 'run" on a treadmill with a walkman, tv on a nature channel, and some teenager to throw cold water on ya!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Neil
Kayak-46

The record is 30 hours isn't it? That's 1¼ days.

Maybe this would be better in late August. Post-bug and more likely post-mud. No snow spine guaranteed.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post

Or 'run" on a treadmill with a walkman, tv on a nature channel, and some teenager to throw cold water on ya!
It's about time someone like you chimed in.

However, I do have an answer: I like the way it makes me feel.

And after spending 30-40 days a year in the woods traveling at around 1 mph this would be fun.

Anyway, you seen one maple tree you seen 'em all.

Doug, I assume for a 3 day trip you have a good idea what LT's to aim for.

I'm going to get a new fanny pack.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
bfinan0

Quote:
chairrock

It's called adventure; I guess in a manner of speaking it is sport, competing against Nature itself, if you want to look at it that way. Or it's just an adventure, trying to do something in a way it hasn't been done [many times] before.

Quote:
Neil
Maybe this would be better in late August. Post-bug and more likely post-mud. No snow spine guaranteed.
Do it in May, the worse the weather and trail conditions (bugs, mud, snow, some combination of the three) the better it will feel)
Old 01-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:

See below.

Quote:
It's about time someone like you chimed in.

However, I do have an answer: I like the way it makes me feel.

And after spending 30-40 days a year in the woods traveling at around 1 mph this would be fun.

Anyway, you seen one maple tree you seen 'em all.

Doug, I assume for a 3 day trip you have a good idea what LT's to aim for.

I'm going to get a new fanny pack.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
RC
Woods Runner

If your doing it in 3 days in august count me in.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
TCD

I might be in for that, if I can get free. Trail in 8 days was great; I want to do both faster and much slower. But slower has to wait until I retire. Real jobs interfere with smelling the roses.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:

When I am running laps on a track or treadmill, even while watching the nature channel and having someone throw cold water on me, it is very difficult to imagine myself being where I want to be. Or... I am NOT where I want to be.

When I am running a narrow footpath in the mountains, or through unbroken forest, I am where I want to be.

But there is more than that. If only I could put this to words. If only my words could do justice to the experience, but I'll at least make the attempt...

When I run on a track, or a road, I am fitting the important job of exercising my body into my otherwise busy day. Still my mind is consumed with all those thoughts that are with me at any other moment on any other day... when will I find the time for this responsibility, for that chore. How should I approach my boss or coworker about this or that problem, how can I possibly afford to send my child to that college, etc, etc.

When I run in the woods, especially absent a trail, through unbroken forest, my senses focus on, and become attuned to, my surroundings. The faster I run, the more difficult the terrain, or the longer the run, the more I must focus and the less I can allow the trappings of human existence to crowd my mind lest I suffer that one lethal lapse of concentration. A point is reached where I am, in a sense, no longer a human visiting the forest but a creature of the forest. I have emptied my mind of humanity. It is a powerful, and visceral, experience.

When I visit the forest to enjoy the views, to breathe the fresh air, to feel the sunshine warm my skin on a cool day, to listen to the wind whispering through the treetops - to smell the roses - my humanity is heightened. At these times, as when I run in the forest, the trappings of human existence are for the time set aside and I revel in the experience. It is a powerful, and entirely human, experience.

In both instances I seek the surroundings of the forest to cleanse my mind of the stresses and trappings of human existence, of day to day life. I seek the forest because it is a place I love, it is where I find comfort. It is where I want to be. In one instance I do so by emptying my mind of humanity, in the other I do so by filling my mind with humanity.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

If I had to put my money on anyone in the current bunch actually doing the trail in three days, It's RC.

Me, I'd be more of a three week guy because there is no place I have to be, no time I have to be there and I want to enjoy every step with the solitude and the time to take in every bit of what surrounds me.

Last time I did any running in any kind of wilderness I was either chasing people or they were chasing me. So the slower pace is a much better alternative.

I'm neither the strongest, nor the fastest, nor the smartest, but I always finish in my own time, and at my own pace.

Life and humanity today IS a blur, I go slow because I seek clarity and because I still wish to satisfy that same curiosity that I had as a child. As the great naturalist Thoreau once warned "we are in danger of forgetting the language which all things and events speak without metaphor, which alone is copious and standard" I go to the woods to learn and master that language, and I cannot do it unless I'm paying attention. I don't want to challenge nature, I want to be a part of it.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Last time I did any running in any kind of wilderness I was either chasing people or they were chasing me. So the slower pace is a much better alternative.
I can see how that might put a damper on the experience.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
If I had to put my money on anyone in the current bunch actually doing the trail in three days, It's RC.

Hawk
Sounds like a nice way of saying you don't think Doug and Neil could do it.

RS, great post. I feel the same way. I think artists, musicians, athletes,... often refer to this as "being in the zone" or "flow". I think it is an experience everyone should strive for on occasion. The beautiful part about it is that it can be achieved through many different avenues.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:

Life and humanity today IS a blur, I go slow because I seek clarity and because I still wish to satisfy that same curiosity that I had as a child. As the great naturalist Thoreau once warned "we are in danger of forgetting the language which all things and events speak without metaphor, which alone is copious and standard" I go to the woods to learn and master that language, and I cannot do it unless I'm paying attention. I don't want to challenge nature, I want to be a part of it.

Hawk
Maybe nowadays people in general prefer to see life as a blur because it's so ugly when it's in focus.

If I were to attempt the trail in 3, 4 or whatever number of days that would constituted a personally challenging goal for me alone. It would not be to "challenge nature" or wouldn't really be an adventure. It would be a challenge to one specific component part of myself: the physical fitness component, which serves as a base of support and a safety factor for what I find adventurous. Because I am an endurance plodder who moves through difficult terrain all day at 1mph this would put me into a completely different context.

But most of all, I know I would find it fun.

Lightning quick starts, breakfast while on the move, super light packs, getting into the zone, short rest breaks and always...move, move move.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Sounds like a nice way of saying you don't think Doug and Neil could do it.
What it says is exactly what it says.

here's the facts, of the people who are talking about doing it, there is one who runs it on a regular basis, in three time frame mentioned.

That would be RC.

Not too long ago he was one of the 3 fastest 40 year olds for long distance running.

So I know He can do it.

Can Neil or Doug? I don't know, but I wouldn't bet on it, not with some training and conditioning for that type of exercise.

So, when i need someone to clarify what i said, I'll ask, in the meantime, don't put words in my mouth or try to stir up a problem.

My post was a compliment to RC, not any kind of negativity directed towards Neil or Hillman.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote