Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
dpc34

NPT-4 days

Check out the Post Star for Sunday and read about a Queenbury student who just completed the trail in 4 days....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Dick
somewhere out there...

The article is here:

http://poststar.com/news/regions/gre...cc4c03286.html

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
8thday
**BANNED**

That is very impressive! I would think he has the fastest time, but I would want to smell the roses along the way more. Take it all in & enjoy the scenery.
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Neil
Kayak-46

The fastest time for a supported "hike" that I know of is 30 hours start to finish.

Unsupported, I believe it is in the 48 hour range.

Hillman and I had a 72 hour hike planned but then his wife had a baby so we postponed it.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thday View Post
That is very impressive! I would think he has the fastest time, but I would want to smell the roses along the way more. Take it all in & enjoy the scenery.
Yes, bravo to him. To each his own, of course. But two lines in the article jumped out at me:

"Now home and well-rested, Newell said he has read that most people take 11 days to do the entire trail, and only experienced hikers could do it in eight days."

That's another pet peeve of mine - equating "experienced" with fast.

"Two of them were doing the trail in 20 days, which is total overkill..."

Personally I think that sounds delightful, and we had designs on doing something similar, but our schedules wouldn't permit it. Maybe next year...

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Yes, bravo to him. To each his own, of course. But two lines in the article jumped out at me:

"Now home and well-rested, Newell said he has read that most people take 11 days to do the entire trail, and only experienced hikers could do it in eight days."

That's another pet peeve of mine - equating "experienced" with fast.

"Two of them were doing the trail in 20 days, which is total overkill..."

Personally I think that sounds delightful, and we had designs on doing something similar, but our schedules wouldn't permit it. Maybe next year...

Dick
Yep it's fluff over substance:

if someone is out there for speed, thay it's obvious they don't understand the reason most of us do it.

As for the newspapers reporters, they are so interested in creating a story, they fail to recognize the REAL story.

I've been hiking and backpacking since I was four years old (64 years total). I would estimate that I have backpacked well over 20,000 miles in my lifetime. I have hiked an about 35 states and 5 different countries. I have hiked every major trail in the US except the AT (Too "crowded"). I have bushwhacked about 60% of my backpacks. I have learned and instructed outdoor survival skills and I have beena guide for a small amout of time.

I have Thru-hiked the NPT approximately 15 times in the 11 years I have lived in the area. I have section hiked the areas from Benson to Wakely and LL through Cold River quite a few times in addition to the through hikes.

My "fastest" time on a through hike of the NPT is about 12 days. My time on my marathon hioke of 2700 miles was about 7 months.

SO, I guess by that reporters, college students standard I am "Inexperienced".

Now I ask you, You are doing a through hike in some rough country, who do you want for a partner? The "experienced" 17 year old or
the "inexperienced" 68 year old?

(Assuming we both kept our mouths shut of course! )

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
8thday
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The fastest time for a supported "hike" that I know of is 30 hours start to finish.

Unsupported, I believe it is in the 48 hour range.

Hillman and I had a 72 hour hike planned but then his wife had a baby so we postponed it.
Oh, O.K. Wow that sounds like a marathon race or iron-man triathalon thing. Is the 30 & 48 hour times non-stop, no sleep, & only eating granola bars & berries on the move?
30 hours non-stop.... 4.066667 m.p.h.
48 hours non-stop.... 2.541667 m.p.h.
11 days @8 hours a day hiking.... 1.386364 m.p.h.
20 days @8 hours a day hiking.... .7625 m.p.h.
If I ever try it I'll shoot for somewhere between 11 & 20 days!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thday View Post
30 hours non-stop.... 4.066667 m.p.h.
48 hours non-stop.... 2.541667 m.p.h.
11 days @8 hours a day hiking.... 1.386364 m.p.h.
20 days @8 hours a day hiking.... .7625 m.p.h.
What would the speed be for someone who did it in 60 minutes and zero seconds? One inquiring mind would like to know.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Rusty and the Maniac

that'd have be about 133mph, which works out to about 214kmph for the northeners... It could be done with one of those things from Return of the Jedi.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
8thday
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What would the speed be for someone who did it in 60 minutes and zero seconds? One inquiring mind would like to know.
Wait a minute, I'll answer your puzzle after you answer my question about 30 & 48 hour hikes being non-stop or not. I go first, then it's your turn. Of course you don't have to answer the question if you choose not to.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
jah

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...play&thread=26
jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
hillman1
skiing demi-god

The reason I would have for trying to do it in 4 days would be because of my current life schedule(kids/work). I've only thruhiked the npt twice, 11 days and 9 days respectively, and I doubt highly I will have that amount of time free again for a long time. I also like the idea of pushing my limits and seeing what I can do. I dayhiked the Cranberry Lake 50 last year while getting ready for that npt adventure. Skipped the high falls section though and cut straight out to wanakena due to a late start(10 am) and black flies. Did the ski trail section in the dark, and had a bicycle spotted to do the road section back to my car. I remember my hands freezing and I lost a bunch of toenails. Hopefully I can get my boy out on some mountain trails next summer as opposed to just the local stuff. I'm really keen on doing some canoe trips as well. But now we have a daughter coming in November, so hiking time will probably be even less
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
TCD

Post above covers fastest known supported time.

Fastest known unsupported time:

http://adktrailrun.com/?p=1610

Surprised that the young man, being a runner and working in the industry, didn't know about this.

Post Star articles was mostly fluff, as has been posted.

I applaud the times. I also like the idea of taking maybe a month to do the trail; that's my plan for next time.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Neil
Kayak-46

I certainly mean no offense to the Adirondacks, the NPT and their fans but my readings and the segments I have hiked has led me to suspect that the NPT is primarily a buggy, valley hike usually (but not always, especially in the drier, cooler fall) through plenty of mud (I still plan on doing it) with limited variety of terrain whereas the Long Trail in VT is a ridge trail and therefore much drier and with greater variety of geography.

Has anyone here done both?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
TCD

Accurate.

Many of us have been on short stretches of the LT. It's just like the AT; it was intended to be a ridge trail (in fact the AT shares the southern portion of the LT).

The ADKs (and Catskills), unlike the Appalachians, aren't geologically the result of a single long ridge, so the "through trail" is not typically going to be a long ridge trail. For a short ADK ridge trail, the Great Range stands pretty well, and would compare favorably to the LT for dryness and variety.

The NP was intended to be a valley through trail, so by design it's flatter. Bugs, we can't control. Mud, well it's too bad that the NP is so unmaintained. It could be a lot less muddy. It doesn't have to be "swimming up mudslides" as a recent post described it...
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
Corin
28/46

As the mother of a 15 year old who has hiked 3 of the 46 high peaks and vows to never hike another one...what struck me first and foremost is that a 17 year old would utilize his 4 days in a row off from his summer employment to get out on the trails. Whether he did it in record time or considers other hikers experienced or inexperienced seems irrelevant. The Post Star needs more "fluff" articles as some of you say...if they are going to highlight a teenager doing something besides playing video games or getting into trouble. Enjoyable article as we all know it is quite an accomplishment and says much about his character.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
TCD

You're misinterpreting people's input. Most of us agree that it's great the the Post Star has articles about hiking! What's fluff is the sloppy reporting. For example, the other hikers who "started in Northville." Really? Almost no one starts in Northville; most people start in Upper Benson. Either one is fine, but it makes a difference of several miles. Normally, that's not important. But in an article about fast times and speed records, it's very important. In fact, the article fails to even mention where Aaron started...you can figure it out from the mileage. And shouldn't the paper have looked up the record times, considering that Aaron was asking about that?

So that's some of the fluff. Articles about hiking are not fluff, they're great.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
mikesill
adktroutchaser

Four days? Ouch... At that pace you can't ever look up, have to be watching the never ending obstacle course of roots + rocks.

Now lets see if someone can come up with the slowest ever to do the NPT thru-hike...french louie style
mikesill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
Neil
Kayak-46

A few interesting records might include:

Greatest number of birds ID'd by song alone.
Greatest number of plants identified.
Most poisonous mushrooms eaten.
Constellations noted.
Nematodes trodden upon.
Fish caught.
Greatest shift in Azimuth of sunrise/sunset.
That sort of thing.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
EagleCrag

Fluff or not, I enjoyed the article. While speed hiking is not my thing and never was, to each his own. If that's how he enjoys the outdoors, more power to him. I suspect he is combining two things he enjoys, running and the outdoors and I have no beef with it. Its certainly more of an accomplishment than most kids his age can attest to.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote