Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
46R796

NP Leanto destroyed

Talked with a group of NP hikers today while at the Cedar river leanto.The Group told me that the leanto at MUD Lake was destroyed by a fallen tree.Fortunately no one was in it.Just wanted to pass this along.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the DEC will replace it? Very few people stayed there anyways- the lean-tos at South and West Lakes (less than a mile away) are much more popular. Those lean-tos had much better views than the Mud Lake/West Canada Creek lean-to.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
mikesill
adktroutchaser

This crushed leanto is the one at Mud lake near Whitehouse. My buddy went through there day after the storm and said there was quite a few trees down. I recall tenting there a couple of years ago and noticed quite a few questionable trees including the widow maker 10 yards from my tent.
mikesill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
dundee

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it was Mud Lake proper. No big loss IMO. It wasn't scenic and kind of a ratty LT. This is a LT that doesn't need to be replaced.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesill View Post
This crushed leanto is the one at Mud lake near Whitehouse. My buddy went through there day after the storm and said there was quite a few trees down. I recall tenting there a couple of years ago and noticed quite a few questionable trees including the widow maker 10 yards from my tent.
Ah- different mud lake. That one also doesn't get much use- at least not as much as Silver Lake and Hamilton Lake Stream. Will be interesting to see if the DEC rebuilds/repairs it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
ADKian

The first lean-to I ever stayed in wasn't the nicest or best but had sentimental value to me. Also the last lean-to I have actually "slept" in since discovering hammocking. I agree it probably doesn't get much use and don't really see a need to replace it.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

A photo of the Mud Lake lean-to taken last fall...I wonder if it was that tree casting the shadow on the lean-to on the left...???:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (111.9 KB, 556 views)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I stayed there once- in January of 2006. It was a PSC Outing Club trip, 8 of us snowshoed from Benson to Piseco on a 4 day trip. Haven't been back since (in fact, haven't been back to there or Silver Lake since). I should revisit this area of the Adirondacks...
Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
46R796

The group I had met said they past the Mud lake leanto on the 16th and the last entry in the logbook was Jul 2 so it doesnt sound too popular.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
LongLaker

Passed through Mud Lake on 8/4 on my way to Piseco. Arrived just in time to escape a cracker of a thunder storm. Took a few pictures after the storm passed. This is what's left of Mud Lake leanto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mud lake leanto.jpg (144.0 KB, 458 views)
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Wow! Thanks for posting... Looks like the roof is a total loss. Perhaps the walls are salvageable though?

Sure am glad no one was in it...
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46R796 View Post
The group I had met said they past the Mud lake leanto on the 16th and the last entry in the logbook was Jul 2 so it doesnt sound too popular.
It doesn't get a lot use by thru - hikers. Most do Silver Lake or Canary Pond (Campsite, my favorite)the first night and then go through to the Hamilton Lake Stream lean to or camping area, or tent it at Whitehouse. I think it gets more use by fishermen or hunters then by hikers.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKian View Post
The first lean-to I ever stayed in wasn't the nicest or best but had sentimental value to me. Also the last lean-to I have actually "slept" in since discovering hammocking. I agree it probably doesn't get much use and don't really see a need to replace it.
Ya I thought it was a spot to stop myself...Ill not forget that trip..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
MrKawfey

I was planning on staying at Mud Lake over labor day weekend. Can anyone tell me if there are other tent camp sites around Mud Lake? Also, how is Mud Lake as far as swimming spots?

Thanks
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
MrKawfey

Also as another option, are there any good tent sites along the West Branch of the Sacandaga? I know there are a couple of good ones by the Hamilton stream crossing, but these are a mile or so off the NPT and I was hoping to not get so far off trail and have to backtrack. I should mention we are going from Piseco to Benson (north to south).
Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
forgedin78

I've never tried to swim at mud lake, but it LOOKS aptly named, shallow shoreline and muddy.

The Hamilton lake stream lean to and tent sites are right on the NPT trail, well 75 yards off it But if you turn right at the sign in box after crossing the double bridge over the west branch, there are quite a few sites around the whitehouse parking area, just a few hundred yards from the sign in box.

Just be aware that it can be a bit of a party spot, so you probably wont have solitude there, but there are plenty of tent spots scattered around in those trails behind the parking lot.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
I was planning on staying at Mud Lake over labor day weekend. Can anyone tell me if there are other tent camp sites around Mud Lake? Also, how is Mud Lake as far as swimming spots?
No other campsites that I'm aware of, but there is plenty of room for a few tents at the lean-to location. Swimming there is definitely not ideal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Also as another option, are there any good tent sites along the West Branch of the Sacandaga?
Yes...look upstream from the suspension bridge on the south bank of the West Branch...perhaps a bit more quiet than the sites near Whitehouse, and a much better place to wash up than Mud Pond.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
MrKawfey

Thanks Justin, great tip. I think I am going to go over to Whitehouse on Sunday and hike the section to mud lake and back to get an idea of conditions as well as checking out site locations. I am going to be leading a group of six on Labor Day weekend and thier fitness level and experiance range all over the map. The more I know before hand the better I will be able to manage the energy levels.

If anyone is interested I found this info on DEC's site
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/22595.html
which details all of the primative campsite locations as well as things like outhouses and stone foundations.

Chris
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Bill I.

It's a bit of a shame to see that lean-to go. Mud Lake was the site of my first and second backpacking trips. I've made it a point to stop by a few times since, although I don't think I've camped there since 1999. No, it wasn't the most scenic campsite in the world but all wilderness locales have some intrinsic value.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

As Justin said, there are some sites just to the left of the suspension bridge. Also about 1/8 of a mile North of the trail register from Whitehouse you can follow the trail that heads over the the Big Eddy and the West Branch Gorge. There is room for several tents near Hamilton lake stream, or you can cross the stream and follow the trail to the banks of the West Branch where there are a couple of campsites.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote