Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
cayte03

NPT questions

HI -
I am planning a thru-hike for the end of August and I have some questions (and will probably have more later).

Are there a lot of mosquitoes?

Am I expecting bridge-less stream crossings?

Is it swampy? (I read something about beaver dams)

Is is possible to camp at sites not designated on the map? (I read the general camping rules, but I am wondering more about there being flat cleared areas.)

Are there bear boxes at the lean-to's and / or campsites?

Also, does anyone know how crowded the trail is? I know it obviously depends on the time of year and the weather and the section of the trail... those of you who have thru-hiked, how many people did you mean daily on average?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance
cayte03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
12trysomething

NPT questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayte03 View Post
HI -
I am planning a thru-hike for the end of August and I have some questions (and will probably have more later).

Are there a lot of mosquitoes? Depends on the area you are in, but be prepared for them.

Am I expecting bridge-less stream crossings? Yes.

Is it swampy? (I read something about beaver dams) depends on time of year and rainfall amounts but plan in wet areas.

Is is possible to camp at sites not designated on the map? (I read the general camping rules, but I am wondering more about there being flat cleared areas.) the lean-to areas are probably your best bet.

Are there bear boxes at the lean-to's and / or campsites? No

Also, does anyone know how crowded the trail is? I know it obviously depends on the time of year and the weather and the section of the trail... those of you who have thru-hiked, how many people did you mean daily on average? Very few.

Thanks in advance

In addition to my responses above you can also check the videos I have done of the NPT. GOOD LUCK!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...70rf2iPY9yftqZ

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
dundee

Quote:
HI -

Are there a lot of mosquitoes?

Am I expecting bridge-less stream crossings?

Is it swampy? (I read something about beaver dams)

Is is possible to camp at sites not designated on the map? (I read the general camping rules, but I am wondering more about there being flat cleared areas.)

Are there bear boxes at the lean-to's and / or campsites?

Also, does anyone know how crowded the trail is? I know it obviously depends on the time of year and the weather and the section of the trail... those of you who have thru-hiked, how many people did you mean daily on average?

Thanks in advance

There can be mosquitoes, but at this time of year they are on their way out.

There are some bridgless crossings, but they are minor crossings. You can change into flip-flops for the crossings. All major brooks have a bridge.

You will find your share of swamps & beaver dams, but no major problems. If the trail is flloded, it's only for a short distance; just walk thru or around.

You can camp anywhere you want provided it it 150' from water, trail or road. Generally, you won't find cleared flat places off the trail; the forest is too thick. There are usually enough lean-tos to go round.

No bear boxes are provided.

Crowded? Don't know, but you are going at one of the busiest times. You will meet people, share a lean-to, but it's not the AT or Long Trail.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
TCD

Quote:
HI -

Read this thread, especially if you are female:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?51199
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
12trysomething

NPT questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Read this thread, especially if you are female:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?51199

I haven't heard of anyone seeing Hobo this year. Have you?

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
dundee

Take a campstove, firewood is scarce.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
hookman33

Northville to Benson

Is the new trail from Northville to Benson open? I'd like to start at the new trailhead in the village but would prefer to avoid the road walk. I know work was done on Trail Days but I haven't heard an update.
hookman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookman33 View Post
Is the new trail from Northville to Benson open? I'd like to start at the new trailhead in the village but would prefer to avoid the road walk. I know work was done on Trail Days but I haven't heard an update.
Not all of it. The portion from Benson Rd (near woods lake) to the N. Branch W Stony creek is done, but from Gifford Rd to Benson Rd not yet.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Those on facebook, be sure to like the Wild River Press page.
Bill was just through there and posted a report with photos.
Quote:
Though not marked, this freshly cut trail can be easily followed from Gifford Valley to the Hamilton County line, where it abruptly ends [as of 8/10/14].
If you're not on facebook, I'd recommend getting with the program.
Lots of outdoor organizations and individuals sharing great Adirondack info and photos!

Last edited by Justin; 08-13-2014 at 08:17 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
TCD

Nice report and photo on Bill's page.

And it's nice that Bill is "with the program," in that those who don't prefer to JOIN facebook can see his content. Too many organizations (like the ADK NPT Chapter) make the mistake of hiding their content behind the "you must join" firewall, thus excluding a lot of people they might actually want to reach.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:

And it's nice that Bill is "with the program," in that those who don't prefer to JOIN facebook can see his content. Too many organizations (like the ADK NPT Chapter) make the mistake of hiding their content behind the "you must join" firewall, thus excluding a lot of people they might actually want to reach.
To be fair, the NPT Chapter is not the Admin of the Facebook Group.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
To be fair, the NPT Chapter is not the Admin of the Facebook Group.
Yep. Want nothing to do with Facebook. The privacy thing for one and do I trust that they would honor my requests? (NO!!).

Makes no difference that no one else is admin. Any one with any sense has to know that it is a requirement to be a member to read material there and that if that is the only place the information is located, many people will not see it.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
DuctTape
Out of Shape

My point was that the FB page is NOT created by, nor administered by the NPT Chapter. The claim the Chapter "make the mistake" is erroneous, as the mistake was not theirs to make. The FB group was created by a private individual and AFAIK has no relationship with the NPT Chapter.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
The portion from Benson Rd (near woods lake) to the N. Branch W Stony creek is done, but from Gifford Rd to Benson Rd not yet.
I hiked the new section from Woods Lake to the North Branch today.
Trail is in great shape, despite all the rain.
Some blowdown, but not much.
Trail is pretty easy to follow, but it could've used another marker or two in a couple spots imho.
I haven't seen a map of this portion posted on this forum yet, but my GPS tracks look a little something like this:
Map Deleted

Last edited by Justin; 03-02-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Old 08-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
Tick Magnet

Do you know if the Upper Benson section/parking is still open?

I want to take my youngest spawn to the North Branch as part of Hamilton County waterfall challenge and the new trail is a little lengthy for her.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post

I want to take my youngest spawn to the North Branch as part of Hamilton County waterfall challenge and the new trail is a little lengthy for her.

Thanks!
Yes it is.
At least it was a couple months ago.
I haven't heard anything that it would be closing. After all, that parking area is on State land, and the public easment along the road beyond the barrier to state land may ensure that access point for some time. I could be wrong.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yes it is.
At least it was a couple months ago.
I haven't heard anything that it would be closing. After all, that parking area is on State land, and the public easment along the road beyond the barrier to state land may ensure that access point for some time. I could be wrong.
Cool

I'll let you know Friday if it was a success.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
TCD

Great info and map, Justin. Thanks!

Quote:
The FB group was created by a private individual and AFAIK has no relationship with the NPT Chapter.
The "closed" FB page is linked to directly from the NPT Chapter website ("NPT Resources" tab, "NPT Facebook" link). It's kind of hard to support the statement that it "...has no relationship with the NPT Chapter."

Now, I will agree that the NPT Chapter website has a note that it is still "under construction," so this could be one of the features that's still broken. I sent them a note on their contact page suggesting that they fix this, or at least explain it to people.

And, to their credit, they have started to update their website. A few months ago, the web site was basically abandoned - the only recent activity was a note saying "we don't update this anymore, all the updates are now on this facebook link." With the link being "closed", they were presenting quite the stone wall to interested "customers."
Old 08-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post

Thanks!
IMO, there's an even better parking area near the "old one". If you go up the dirt road from Upper Benson that is actually part of the "old" trail, you will come to the last house on the road. In front is a sign that says, "Benson Light & Power. These nice folks have been allowing hikers to park in their front year for a donation of $1.00/day. This is especially good if you are doing an overnight or extended trip on the NP as you almost have secure parking.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
kwc
loser

Quote:
The "closed" FB page is linked to directly from the NPT Chapter website ("NPT Resources" tab, "NPT Facebook" link). It's kind of hard to support the statement that it "...has no relationship with the NPT Chapter."
You'll also note that there's a link to this forum and specifically this sub-forum on that same tab. I think the only relationship between the NPT chapter and this forum & the FB page is a "resource". I suppose like a supporting footnote for further exploration of the subject?

AFAIK, the NPT FB group to which I belong is an open group, not a closed group. But then I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, nor the last. I certainly had no trouble "joining".

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote