Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
jetter

August hike and dogs on the NLP Trail

Hello All,

New to the forum not new to hiking. I have a week of at the end of August and was going to do a portion of the NLP Trail. I hope to do either one 5 day hike or 2 3-day hikes. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks

Part 2. I have over 20 years in K9 SAR with German Shepherds which I always brought with me backpacking. Now I have a small (47#) border collie mix and would like to bring her. She is fine off lead and on lead and is much more agile than my shepherds ever were. Any thoughts on the dog and the trail? I will carry her food as she is not trained with a pack and she does not require what a 110# German Shepherd would require.

Thank you all for the advice and I hope to run into some of you on the trail.

Jack E.
jetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Welcome, Jack.
The West Canada Lakes & Cold River regions of the NPT are good sections to spend a few days. And yes, by all means, bring your dog! Many of us enjoy hiking and swimming with our four legged friends. Just be sure to keep her near you at all times when unleashed to help avoid any unwanted incidents with wildlife or other people, and always have a leash ready incase you come upon others. Sometimes people can be funny about an unleashed dog. Good luck. What's her name? Any photos?
-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
dundee

Please leash your dog. That way everyone is comfortable.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
.... Sometimes people can be funny about an unleashed dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Please leash your dog. That way everyone is comfortable.
Case in point.

It should be noted that currently there are no existing regulations for leashes along the NPT, however it is considered common courtesy to use a leash when encountering others along the trail. The only negative experiences that I've had have been with other unleashed dogs attacking my leashed dog.
Also, if your dog is prone to running astray or chasing after wildlife, then it probably should be leashed at all times. Just my 4 cents.
-Justin

Last edited by Justin; 08-14-2015 at 07:43 AM..
Old 08-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
JoeCedar

August hike and dogs on the NLP Trail

Porcupine encounters are a risk for dogs off-leash, and the results can be very bad when a long distance from a trailhead. Just keep that in mind.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
jetter

Leash

Here is what I do. My dog is very well trained and when off lead she will return to my side without instruction if she sees anyone on the trail. Once back I leash her even when people yell ahead "It's ok we like dogs". I always have her on lead until we are alone again. 25+ years training dogs I still get nervous when I see a loose dogs.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I was attacked a few years ago in the backcountry by an unleashed dog without provocation or warning. I personally love dogs and generally am not bothered when I see them off leash, but my experience has lead me to be a little bit more cautious around them, and make sure that I know where the dog is at all times. It only takes one circumstance like that to make you wary around all unleashed dogs, regardless of how friendly they may seem.

The point is that you don't know the history of every single hiker you encounter on the trail, and there are some people who get pretty uncomfortable at the sight of an unleashed dog, regardless of that dogs temperament.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Please - Keep your dog leashed!

I've never been attacked myself but I can't count the number of times an unleashed dog attacked one of my LEASHED dogs.

Even though my dogs were sometimes friendly off a leash, a dog on a leash vs. a strange dog off a leash is asking for trouble. Usually the leashed dog feels vulnerable and may attack even if it's not a normally aggressive dog.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Bark Eater Too

West Canada is great country to explore with your pup. Nice lakes for a refreshing swim!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter View Post
Here is what I do. My dog is very well trained and when off lead she will return to my side without instruction if she sees anyone on the trail. Once back I leash her even when people yell ahead "It's ok we like dogs". I always have her on lead until we are alone again. 25+ years training dogs I still get nervous when I see a loose dogs.

Maybe your dog is well trained, but you're the only person who knows that. You write that you get nervous when you see a loose dog(s). What do other people think when they see your dog loose?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Same here, although my dog is trained to walk behind me when commanded, with leash in my pocket. It can be a little tricky when hiking with a group, especially if there are other (unleashed) dogs within the group, when I usually need to be the leader in order for my dog, Jenny, to cooperate.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
jetter

Dundee I agree

I agree about off lead as I said she will scent and see you long before you see her and will come back to me. When in doubt she is leashed.

Going to scout a bit this weekend and plan my hikes, I have 9 days off 22nd to 29th, I hope the weather cooperates... 1-3 day hikes.....

Thanks for all the encouragement and comments.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
jetter

Weird do, she trees porcupines..... only a matter of time before this turns bad lol.... I keep a good eye on her.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
West Canada is great country to explore with your pup.
Nice lakes for a refreshing swim!
Agreed!

...And just to share a few photos from the NPT (not NLP) in the West Canadas region with my lab...

South Lake footbridge:

West Lake:

West Lake lean-to #1:

West Lake lean-to #2:

Cedar Lakes:

Cedar Lakes lean-to #3:

Footbridge across Beaver Pond/Cedar Lakes channel:

Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #15
dundee

Quote:
Weird do, she trees porcupines..... only a matter of time before this turns bad lol.... I keep a good eye on her.
Holy Crap! How about you keep a LEASH on her?!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Dundee, you seem a little adamant about keeping a dog on a leash... Care to share your experiences with unleashed dogs with us?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #17
TCD

Jenny looks fabulous - what a great dog. Her color reminds me a little of my dog. Nice pix.

I have no problem with dogs. I've been bitten a couple times, but that's just routine - I still make friends with the dogs I meet. In some areas, I keep my dog (Jack is a 35 lb. mutt) on a leash because of cars or porkys, or the rules, but he's pretty good and always friendly.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah the dog pics are cute and all, but what do you do when your dog gets in a scrap with another dog (a dog who may instigate while leashed)?

It's kind of a precarious situation for the person who does have their dog leashed and can try to separate at least their own dog, but if the other dog chooses to keep going, you can bet I'm not putting my hand in front of someone else's dog.

I usually just drop my leash and let them fight. I'm going to at least let my dog have a fair chance. The idiot who didn't have their dog leashed can break it up...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #19
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I know there are many dog owners whose dogs are well trained and I appreciate them and the effort they have made. I have been bitten in the leg while bicycling three times that were deep enough to draw blood, and a few other times that weren't. I have never been bitten while hiking yet and I hope to keep it that way. I have had a few incidents that made me very nervous when a dog comes up the trail with the owners either not in sight or very far back and the dog growls and puts its head down and acts in what feels to me like a threatening manner. The owners in these cases either feebly yell at the dog (which ignores them) or sometimes when they approach they say "Oh, he wouldn't hurt a flea". Meanwhile I am thinking "OH ......." and "Is there a large stick within reach that I could put between us?"(which there usually hasn't been at the moments when I needed one). Even on a leash a dog that barks, growls, lunges or snaps at me can make me nervous if there is not enough room for me to get far enough off the trail to be out of its reach while it passes by. So far aggressive dogs have been the only things in the woods that cause me to feel fear or alarm. If an unaccompanied dog comes up the trail and just goes about it's business without confronting me I don't mind, though it makes me a little nervous sometimes. That is my problem and no fault of the dog. I hope this post does not come across as anti-dog or anti-dog-owner. I am just trying to present a balanced picture of the experiences of a person who is afraid of some dogs.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 AM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Jenny looks fabulous - what a great dog. Her color reminds me a little of my dog. Nice pix..
Thanks Tom.