Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
jan

The Lake George RV park is a nice place with easy access to a paved bike trail that runs from Glens Falls to Lake George. It is also served by a trolley bus that provides easy transport to Lake George Village. If your wife likes to shop, the outlet malls called the "Million Dollar Half Mile" are within a half mile of the RV park. Great Escape amusement park is just a couple miles away. The trolley may go there too. There are many, many trail and paddle options within an hours drive. I know all this because I've lived here my whole life. Lake George can be a lot of fun for a vacation. It all depends on your family's interests.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
KDOG

Wow so much info! I really appreciate it. Ultimately I have to just decide and go. I know a lot of state park campgrounds can be quite nice as well. As I stated in my op, we recently went to the Delaware Water Gap and stayed at Worthington State Park and it was gorgeous. It was only a 3 day tent camping trip and it got too cold for the other two who opted to stay at a Holiday Inn Express the second night while I stayed out there. (Wimps, I'll never let them hear the end of that lol)
If I come up there by myself then it will be a whole other story - then it's bring on the great outdoors! But I would like to take the family the first time since I don't know where I'm going or what I'm doing anyway.

Stripperguy, yes basically that's true for a first trip.
KDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #23
andrew S durkee

KDOG

Lake George is a beautiful area although like previously mentioned it is often packed with tourists for most of the spring and summer months. You may want to check out some areas on northern Lake George, passed Bolton Landing. Roger's Rock is located on the northern tip of the lake near the town of Ticonderoga, it has a state park with amenities available for your wife while still offering areas of hiking for all levels.

I personally like the NET GEO trails illustrated maps, they are very straightforward and give you all the information needed for planning a trip in the ADK.(theirs one for the Lake George region)

hope this helps
andrew S durkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #24
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

I would recommend either Old Forge or Indian Lake. Both towns are a lot less commercial than Lake George and both have great hikes/paddles/fishing within minutes. It's remote yet you have all the amenities of home. The Adirondacks are purely beautiful. A place you should definitely visit and explore.
MarqueKugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #25
HappyHiker

You have to remember some of these guys are real ADK'ers and they don't want anyone within a mile of them! They are a great resource for that.

If you have kids they want some action. My kids loved lake george. Staying in a cabin and swiming in the lake. Going to forts and the movies on rainy days. Fire works on Thursday nights and arcades. Rent a pontoon boat at bolton landing. etc etc. It is crowded but hey you are from New Jersey and can handle it.

There is a small campgound in lake lazerne near lake george we stayed at once.

My kids were adicted to forts so going to the campground at Rodgers rock was great. Fort Ticonderoga was 10 minutes away and Crown point was close. Ice cream at he windchill factory is a must.

My kids loved camping at the DEC campground at Nicks lake and going to water safari! Swiming in the lake and fires every night and fishing too. You can rent canoes and hike around the lake! There is ice cream in town at night. Kids love this stuff!
HappyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #26
mossarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Mr KDOG,
You didn't mention when you might visit...I would highly recommend that you avoid the black fly season, especially if you want you wife and stepson to ever return.
Black flies are generally out in force between Mothers Day and Fathers Day. If you can avoid them, you should.
Well Stripperguy, if you lived in Lake George, like I do, you’d know that black flies (who are obviously very classy and refined) don’t like it here too much. I never have black flies in my back yard…..So I think KDOG and his family will likely be just fine in Lake George at the RV park for an initial ADK outing any time during the resort season.
Yes, Lake George Village is a jerk- magnet, filled with obnoxious tee shirt and souvenir shops as well as loud and irritating activity. But it is an incredibly beautiful vantage point of the lake, not to be missed. Spending a day or two amid the activity of the Village isn’t gonna kill ya. Not only can KDOG’s wife shop her heart out at the outlets, near the RV park, but likely the kid will find some of the silliness and sappiness of the Village quite entertaining. While in the Village, KDOG’s wife will also enjoy the world class landscaping all through the parks and along the lakefront. If they are lucky enough to be in LG on a Wednesday night during July and August, the concerts in the Shepard Park are also world class. Also, the Adirondack Mountain Club headquarters is in Lake George at exit 21, where KDOG will find all the maps he needs for the rest of the Park.
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #27
sullyr

thanks KDOG, Mossarden, et al...
We, too, are overwhelmed ( ADK is , after all,the biggest park in the lower 48).Where to begin. We're looking for an area.
we are "moderate" hikers, sometimes up to tackling 'strenuous',but not often. We're thinking of August , so cooler would be better. Lakes for swimming would be great, but not too many people. a decent lodge to sally forth from for day hikes (we'll have a car) not overnights, and i guess the not-too-many people is the most important. , (we mostly do the Harriman Park which is more downstate,and like it when we see other hikers about every fifteen minutes or so, not less). Option to kayak would be icing. Shade's very good. Scrambling up rocks on all fours not favored.
Anyway, this is probably all too much to ask, if someone could point out an area to start with: not too crowded, i could begin our research from there. thanks all
sullyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #28
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyr View Post
thanks KDOG, Mossarden, et al...
We, too, are overwhelmed ( ADK is , after all,the biggest park in the lower 48).Where to begin. We're looking for an area.
we are "moderate" hikers, sometimes up to tackling 'strenuous',but not often. We're thinking of August , so cooler would be better. Lakes for swimming would be great, but not too many people. a decent lodge to sally forth from for day hikes (we'll have a car) not overnights, and i guess the not-too-many people is the most important. , (we mostly do the Harriman Park which is more downstate,and like it when we see other hikers about every fifteen minutes or so, not less). Option to kayak would be icing. Shade's very good. Scrambling up rocks on all fours not favored.
Anyway, this is probably all too much to ask, if someone could point out an area to start with: not too crowded, i could begin our research from there. thanks all
Are you thinking of renting a cabin/camp or staying at a hotel... Its hard to tell from your description. From the sounds of things you'll want to be in the central region... Blue Mountain Lake, Long Lake, or Raquette Lake come to mind. Tons of non-strenuous day hiking... Gorgeous swimming lakes... And not very many people. The trade off is there aren't a ton of restaurants and the like...

I think theres a resort or two on Blue Mountain Lake that will even provide meals. I read somewhere it's the cleanest lake in the US.

The picture in my avatar is my son and I at the top of Castle Rock overlooking Blue Mountain Lake and with Blue Mountain in the background.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #29
sullyr

Hey OntarioSkiBum
THANKS!
You've given me a place to start, which is exactly what i wanted. Spent quite of bit of time today looking at Central Region, and, until i saw your note, i didn't think of a cabin, BUT, there seem to be lots of them, and several right on lakes. (I am a New York City person. I know nothing). I found adkbyowner.com which lists cabins. I don't know if it is the best, or reliable, but it certainly is an efficient webpage. you tick the boxes that apply and the dates and in a millisecond you have an answer - if it is available and how much. right there in black and white. i'm going to spend a few days...
and no good turn goes unpunished, i'll bet back to you (y'all)
cheers
etthanks again
sullyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #30
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyr View Post
Hey OntarioSkiBum
THANKS!
You've given me a place to start, which is exactly what i wanted. Spent quite of bit of time today looking at Central Region, and, until i saw your note, i didn't think of a cabin, BUT, there seem to be lots of them, and several right on lakes. (I am a New York City person. I know nothing). I found adkbyowner.com which lists cabins. I don't know if it is the best, or reliable, but it certainly is an efficient webpage. you tick the boxes that apply and the dates and in a millisecond you have an answer - if it is available and how much. right there in black and white. i'm going to spend a few days...
and no good turn goes unpunished, i'll bet back to you (y'all)
cheers
etthanks again
No prob. I've used adkbyowner.com to rent a ski cabin near Lake Placid. It worked out great.

In the Central Region, I prefer Blue Mountain Lake and Long Lake to Indian Lake, but they're all close. Castle Rock is an awesome hike. Blue Mountain is good... its a little on the tough side, but my son did it when he was 5. Both of these, you won't be alone (you may see 10 or so other groups). Definitely take a hike from North Point Road down to Lower Sargent Pond to check out a Adirondack Lean To... While there also be sure to check out Buttermilk Falls which is just a few steps back from the road.

You might want to take a float plane tour in Long Lake. It's pretty reasonable price wise and you'll get some pretty incredible views. While in Long Lake, check out Hoss's- a true Adirondack General Store.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote