Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

Strange Brook Trout

Has anyone ever seen a brook trout like this before? If so, any idea on strain identification? I've caught hundreds of brookies throughout my last 16 years of trout devotion and never have I seen anything like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strange Brook Trout.jpg (120.8 KB, 540 views)
MarqueKugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Gman

That is a strange looking Brookie. Stream or pond, lake? Is it a body of water that is stocked?

Not definitive but looks like the pectoral fin is worn or deformed and the dorsal fin not fully formed.

I've seen Splake that were BT x LT and back crossed with BT that looked a bit like that. It would have to happen in a hatchery because I am certain such back crosses are sterile. Who knows what happens in a hatchery by accident. Could it be a Tiger? Body shape does favor a Brown.

Or could just be a strange looking brookie.

Possible
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
gmorin71

stocked stream
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
St.Regis

That's a very cool looking trout!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

It was caught in a stream that is stocked annually. However, the stream is said to contain native brook trout, and the state claims to not stock brook trout in it.

I have been catching other brookies in there which are clearly stocked fish though (the color on them is washed out real bad). This one was bright and vibrant with tons of yellow spots and very few "halos" of purplish hue. My initial thought when I brought it in was that it was a wild tiger trout, but since I have only caught washed out stocked tigers before I've never seen the real deal (???).

Definitely one of the coolest fish I've ever caught. I'll remember it as long as I live. I don't recall it having any fin deformities but in the photos I can see how they may exist.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
gmorin71

kugs, sad thing is is that thing has probably already been ripped out of there and consumed at this point.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

Oh most definitely. Rainy day with a dilly... Done.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
sandcreek

Tiger trout ? Brookie and brown cross
sandcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
Gman

I think tiger because of the body shape. A pure brookie is deep in the body. That fish is skinny thru the middle and end like so many wild stream browns, it has the thickness just behind the head as many wild stream browns have. Here is a wild stream trout from an Ontario stream that has not been stocked in 80 years. Notice the similarities in body shape.

Last edited by Gman; 07-03-2014 at 12:13 AM..
Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #10
Gman

More tigers;

http://www.garyengbergoutdoors.com/b...out-9-18-2013/

I am still leaning toward splake. My province of Ontario stock million of these things in the hundreds (thousands?) of lakes that can no longer support lake trout but have two story fisheries where brookies can't compete and stocked rainbows just disappear (loons, osprey...too much time at the surface??) but the splake can. They will decimate the perch where they have taken over, they eat bass too. Anyway I have caught hundreds of them and like any lab produced entity there are some freaks....some real frankensteins.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
fontinalis

Gman is right on this one, definitely some BTxLT cross (splake). Occasionally county hatcheries that stock splake will throw the "extras" into streams. I have landed several before in streams where it would be impossible for a splake to exist. Either way the phenotypic variation of a splake or most hybridized trout is pretty huge but there's now way to actually know unless you did genetics on that fish. Nice catch and an awesome looking fish for sure!
fontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
gmorin71

i thought splake as well but the tail is definitely square. are there splake that are the result of multiple cross breedings where overtime their definitive features are less apparent?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

I think I figured it out! I found a list of NYSDEC private and commercial hatcheries. The closest hatcheries to this stream are in Region 4. Then I came across this...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/52348.html

White Oak Farm
65 Whippoorwill Road
Hillsdale, N.Y. 12529

Laing, Fred (518) 325-3384

Brook, Brown and Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout/Char Hybrids, Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, and Triploid Grass Carp

Anything stand out to you?!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
gmorin71

yes, i say we all get off of our high trout horse and turn this forum into a beloved triploid grass carp resource
Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
yes, i say we all get off of our high trout horse and turn this forum into a beloved triploid grass carp resource
I agree It's already turned into a bass forum
Old 05-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
Glen
Check please

I know my Splake and that ain't one.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #17
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
He certainly does know his Splake, each one by name in evey NY water body. This one jumped into his float tube to say hello.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Splake.jpg (100.0 KB, 330 views)
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #18
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

Sadly, the plot thickens.

I spoke with Fred who owns the hatchery (I thought it may have came from) and he said it definitely isn't his. He said he too has never seen anything like it; that it doesn't have the body for a brook trout nor the head for a char, the forked tail for a splake or the worm side pattern for a tiger. With the operculum of a rainbow trout, the yellow spots of a butterscotch brown and the pelvic fins of a brook trout I can only imagine what they are "cooking up" at the Cobleskill Hatchery (whom he suggested I contact).

What a wonderful journey! It doesn't really matter all that much but the intrigue of knowing fuels my pursuit.

Tight lines everyone...
Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
geogymn

What do you mean sadly! This drama has created a diversion away from the everyday struggle of economical existence! I applaud you effort to solve this mystery. Don't leave us hanging! Siddhartha reveals that the river holds the answer if we are patient enough to hear the lesson. The mystery was in your hands and you recognized the blessing! How fun!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #20
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
It may not be but few other possibilities and too many variables with splake. Most look like a mix of BT and LT but many are a splitting image of either. Some have forked tails, some square, some blue halo's and spots and some none.

I have caught splake that have looked a bit like that. They are normally always stocked in lakes but I have caught many that moved into running water and some have wandered a great distance from where they were originally stocked.

Last edited by Gman; 05-31-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Tags
brook trout, native, strain, trout