Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Riosacandaga
soggy

MRP MTB Trails

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/99809.html

I know it's not possible, but a corridor connecting to the Old Military Road at Pillsbury Mtn Trailhead would open up a 99% dirt route from Northville to Limekiln Road.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
JimB

Thanks for the info, the map showed some interesting trail ideas.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
bmike-vt

I certainly welcome this sort of development. ADK can work towards being the kingdom trails of NY.

I don't mind having a place to ride loop after stacked loop - it can be fun and challenging and certainly most people who 'mountain bike' do so in this manner.

What I really wish to happen is strategically placed thru trails are improved or developed for longer distance travel through the park. The otter Brook trail is a great start - that will be a nice loop to have available as an option. Being able to circumnavigate the ADKs and 'get lost' on dirt and singletrack would be fantastic.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Riosacandaga
soggy

Mike,
Totally agree, as above. Adventure riding, long multi-day trips are very limited in the park. Stacked loops and mainstream MTB is booming all over with Wilmington area on the verge of becoming the KT of the Adk.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
Mike,
Totally agree, as above. Adventure riding, long multi-day trips are very limited in the park. Stacked loops and mainstream MTB is booming all over with Wilmington area on the verge of becoming the KT of the Adk.
We need eyes opened to the idea that some folks can and do want to traverse the park on a bike. And not be on pavement.

Theoretically it wouldn't take much. Just some strategic positiong of trails legal to MTB or trail corridors. Or even reclassification of bikes in wilderness. Except t that is like moving mountains it seems.

But I guess this kind of riding is similar to backcountry skiing. The resorts bring in the cash for people to ride loop after loop. The bc guys and gals are all typically self sufficient - so shopping for a piece of jewelry après ski is not as important as finding a place to crash for the night so they can skin back in again in the morning.

I might try one of my 'carries' next year. Just have to get the fitness back.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote