Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Riosacandaga
soggy

Moving on

I built my Pugsley during the winter of 2007. At that time there were not a lot of choices. Frame, rims and tires were sourced from Surly. The rest was pieced together from conventional parts bins. I watched the sport grow and really had to resist the urge to buy the next great bike. With that, and thinking that the designs had leveled out for now with 190/150mm hubs and 5" rubber I decided to sell the Pugs, (not an easy decision) and buy a new bike.

The Salsa Blackborow DS was my final choice keeping with the versatility of the Pugsley. But bigger and a full 12 pounds lighter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBdsCyHav1.jpg (66.2 KB, 152 views)
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
JimB

Nice bike, I've been reading about them on the forums. Great upgrade from the Pugs. The color and graphics make for a nice looking ride.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

sweet!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
skillzman1

Nice Pic...I have been looking into getting one of these bikes. Would likely be selling my dirt bike to finance the new toy. So much information to choose from. I think I would like suspension on the bike since my bones are getting old. But man that adds some serious coin to the tag. Which has me considering buying a used mountain bike with better suspension and skipping the fat bike idea. However I like the versatility of a fat bike, so my thought would be to buy a more entry level fat bike and upgrade to a Bluto fork down the road.
What advice could you give?
Bikesdirect has a few choices that look worthwhile, but I have heard mixed reviews.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
bmike-vt

wow. lovely.
you got the dinglespeed version? probably what i would get... if i went that route.
although, i have a rohloff on my krampus (the most fun bike i've owned, ever) - and i want one on all my bikes now.

hoping to make a trip across the lake with the pugsley and some folks riding ice cream trucks and carbon beargreases this year. need to show them some of the riding in the ADKs.

i rode into MRP a couple of years ago. probably not the best place - way too much sled traffic by afternoon. but lots of terrain to explore over your way.

congrats on the new ride.
12 pounds.
wow.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Riosacandaga
soggy

All of the discount bikes, and some name brand, come with Vee rubber. If you're going to ride snow covered trails Vee rubber is NOT the tire. Prepare to shell out a couple hundred more to get a decent set of tires. Bikes Direct has some attractive prices and some of their bikes appear to have decent components. But the hubs and wheels are questions- bottom bracket I'm not sure of... but what I am pretty confident of, is that no one is going to sell a $2499 bike for $799.95. I have a couple friends who went BD early on and have swapped out tires and other parts. I looked at Framed bikes also and while they're a step above BD there is the same tire and component (hub and BB) questions.

In my opinion, right now Salsa has the most versatile line of bikes and offers the best bang for the buck. Four different Fat Bike lines and each has different models. The alternator swing plates make the bike even more versatile.

My advice if you live in Saratoga is to check out the Salsa bikes at Spa City Bikes. The guy there is very up on the fat bikes. Plus I recommend supporting your local bike shop. If the owner is turning a wrench in between answering questions and selling bikes, it's a pretty safe bet they'd appreciate your business and it never hurts to ask what deal is available. As a disclaimer I don't live in Saratoga, I don't work at SCB, (but I know the owner from riding bikes) and while I do usually buy my bikes from my LBS, I bought my Blackborow down on L.I. because that's the only place that had one after Salsa had sold out of stock in about two weeks.
Plus if suspension price is a concern, go rigid now and by next year the competition will heat up and there will be used Blutos for sale reasonable as a lot of people will have to have the next best thing.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Riosacandaga
soggy

Thanks Mike, those old double walled Large Marge rims were not light! Rohloff on a krampus! That is really nice. That hub is almost the cost of the complete bike!

I'll shoot you an email with some routes with much less traffic.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
Thanks Mike, those old double walled Large Marge rims were not light! Rohloff on a krampus! That is really nice. That hub is almost the cost of the complete bike!

I'll shoot you an email with some routes with much less traffic.
i keep saying if i ever wear anything out on the pugsley i'll replace it with something lighter... but it keeps trucking!
just moved it to 1x10, but left the 22t on so i can shift by hand into a granny if needed. running a 30t wolf tooth up front with a 12x36 in the back. like it so far.

if i ever blow a wheel or need new hubs... i'll be going to 80mm rims, and something with a cutout.

yeah, rohloff was a total splurge, but its my expedition / drag through the woods / overland / over mountains replacement for my fargo. just got sick of rear derailers. actually cost more than the bike itself - and i got the rohloff wholesale from a friend. i got the krampus on a blowout price from a local shop.

email received. much thanks. MRP was OK early, but got a little nerve wracking with all the sled traffic around noon. no one was going the speed limit or under.

and i froze my front shifting pod, so i was stuck in the middle ring, and my bladder was leaking down my back. was an off day.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
skillzman1

Excellent information, I have been away from mountain biking for 15 yrs..I have an old rigid Giant that's almost 25yrs old. I definitely appreciate the time taken to explain some of these basics. I will be looking into the LBS, my son has a friend who works at one, so maybe I will start there. The motocross bike has to go, as I broke my ribs the last time out so its been setting all summer. That ought to help finance something decent and hopefully better for my health!
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
mulveyr

FWIW, I rode my Pugsley with a Nate on the back and a Larry on the front last winter, and it worked well for groomed trails. However, I also want to use the bike on our occasionally icy roads and Erie Canal towpath, so I installed studs on the Nate and bought a studded Dillinger for the front. ( Even with 200+ studs, the Dillinger is noticibly lighter than the Larry. )
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
Riosacandaga
soggy

This is why I like Salsa's Alternator Dropouts. Stability of a through axle and vertical dropout with the versatility of sliding (horizontal) dropouts (Pugsley). For the cost of an alternator swing arm plate with derailleur hangar ($30) and parts from the spare parts bin: 8 speed cassette, derailleur, 8 speed chain. And a new/used trigger shifter. The dingle speed becomes a "D8"....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D81.jpg (58.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
This is why I like Salsa's Alternator Dropouts. Stability of a through axle and vertical dropout with the versatility of sliding (horizontal) dropouts (Pugsley). For the cost of an alternator swing arm plate with derailleur hangar ($30) and parts from the spare parts bin: 8 speed cassette, derailleur, 8 speed chain. And a new/used trigger shifter. The dingle speed becomes a "D8"....
That will be a sweet setup! Loving my 1x10 pugs with manual front shift to bail out ring.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Riosacandaga
soggy

that's why I believe the Pugsley is still very relevant. Sliding dropouts , 135 mm spacing. Ability to run 3.8/4.8, 29er, 29+, SS, IGH, 1X, 2X, 3X.... all on one bike. No other bike on the market can do all that as simply as on the Pugs.