Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
gearhead

NPT beginning and end

Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me where the official beginning and end of the trail is for recognition for a through hike to get the NPT patch. I am a little confused because the website still instructs people to start in upper Benson and end at the Chubb river bridge in lake placid. Is this correct even with the new section in Northville?
Thanks
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Hard Scrabble

GH,
It's been my assumption that the new trailhead begins in upper Benson.
The old trailhead began on Rte 30 near N'ville.
jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Hi Gearhead.
I'm not sure about the current qualifications for the patch, or where the exact terminus in Lake Placid is, but the official begining in is Waterfront Park in downtown Northville, and the new section of trail from Collins Gifford Valley Road to Benson Road is officially open, as well as the new section from Woods Lake to the North Branch West Stony Creek. Note that there's still no bridge across the West Stony Creek, but it is easily forded in low water.
If you have a facebook account, you may want to join the "Northville Placid Trail" group, and ask your question there. Lots of great info, photos, and trip reports being shared over there, much more so than here in regards to the NPT.
Good luck.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/110755895608272/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The Schenectady Chapter of the ADK is the org which issues the patch. They would be the ones to clarify. http://www.adk-schenectady.org

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
gearhead

I emailed them and they said it starts at Upper Benson and ends in on Averyville road so I guess they are still not requiring the new section in Northville. I really want to limit food drops and was thinking of just doing one resupply. I might just send a package to Piseco and then do one more in Long Lake. The Piseco PO is kinda crappy cause its so close to the beginning so maybe its not worth it and I can just do one in Long Lake. Any Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
dundee

You may move at a completely different speed than I do, but I like to take 12 days to do this trip. Having only one drop would be too heavy for me, I'd make drops at Piseco, Blue Mt. Lake and Long Lake. I do about 10 miles/day and I do this to enjoy it.

I don't know when you're doing this trip, but be aware that the NYS campground at Lake Durant *WILL NOT* hold food drops for hikers. Lake Durant was never in my plans as a drop, but I asked while passing thru.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
gearhead

Dundee, How did you do your food drops? I also would like to take 12 days. Could you let me know what your daily itinerary was because it sounds like we could have similar ideas.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
TCD

FYI many previous threads on this to search.

Our example:

We took 8 days (so a bit faster pace), S-N. We had food drops at the Irondequoit Inn in Piseco and Hoss's Country Store in LL. (We were local, living in Glens Falls, so we did not have to mail anything; I just drove up the weekend before and left the food drops.)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #9
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

8 days seems about the lower limit without being excessively hardcore. I was thinking about caching food using a bear can halfway through. Does this sound viable? I might be able to slog 8 days of food in 1 shot, but that sounds like work.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
gearhead

I think the bear can is a reasonable option and if your going to do it in eight days one drop should be enough.