Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
gearhead

Whiteface and Ester

Hello All, I am going up to climb these two peaks and will be finishing my 46 on Whiteface. I was wondering how much water I need to carry and What trail you guys would recommend. Heading up next weekend.
Thanks
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Hello All, I am going up to climb these two peaks and will be finishing my 46 on Whiteface. I was wondering how much water I need to carry and What trail you guys would recommend. Heading up next weekend.
Thanks
I usually go from the ASRC it is less elevation to gain than the trail that starts from Wilmington Reservoir.

I'd like to say that there is a snack bar at the Castle at the finish of the Whiteface Memorial Highway. But I've not been there in years. If it is still open you probably can buy a bottle of water there in an emergency.

Otherwise I would suggest you bring what you normally take on a long hike without water. The is no water you can rely on right now. My standard is 2 Liters.
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
rickhart

The Wilmington trail, though longer, is beautiful. Also, in the lower reaches it goes through really nice, mature deciduous woods which might have color by now. I think it's worth it, unless minimizing your distance & elevation is a high priority.
[edit: just realized you've probably done it already]
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

There's an interesting story about Mt. Esther.
Can't remember the whole thing, but the lady thought she was climbing Whiteface.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Trail Boss

The "interesting story" about Esther is apocryphal. There's no historical evidence of an Esther McComb living in the area at the time of the alleged climb/rescue incident in 1839. See page 557 of "Heaven Up-h'istedness!"

Esther and Whiteface = Blunder and Tourist Top
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

Sorry to quote wikipedia and several other references, But Esther intended to climb Whiteface but ended up on the peak named for her.
jim
Old 10-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Sorry to quote wikipedia and several other references ...
Wikipedia? Who is "wwoods"? That's the author of the Wikipedia entry (in 2007) who failed to provide any sources.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spec...sther_Mountain

The source I listed above is based on the work of Adirondack historians who sought to discover evidence for the "first ascent" and found none. Best they could find is that it was told many decades after the alleged event by an individual who was a child in 1839.

Life is full of wonderful stories that, under close scrutiny, fail to be rooted in reality.

http://adk46er.org/heaven-up-h_isted-ness.html
Old 10-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Hard Scrabble

I'm sorry for quoting wikipedia.
But i knew that I had read this somewhere.
My source is "Peaks and People of the Adirondacks" by Russell, M.L. Carson.
Page 96 details Esther McComb, who was 15 years old at the time and had the desire to climb Whiteface.
Her parents discouraged that, but she went anyway, she got lost and ended up on the peak that was named for her.
Jim
Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
Trail Boss

Yup. I also have Carson's book. Have another look at the second page. It's not definitively stated she reached the summit only that she blundered onto the mountain by accident and was found there by the rescue party. Afterwards, her mother facetiously referred to the peak as "Esther".

I'd buy that story. She headed for Whiteface, got lost, and was found somewhere on the nearby unnamed peak. Even if she actually did reach the summit, historians pull the rug out from under the entire story by the fact they can't find any record of an Esther Macomb living in the area. There's a family with a similar name but they didn't have a daughter named Esther (or of the appropriate age in 1839). So all you have is a nice "oral tradition" with no supporting evidence.

Most of the other ascents during that time period were by survey parties and they left written accounts of their trips (some were also recorded in newspapers of the day).
Old 10-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

I guess that it's a coin flip.
At any rate, it's an interesting story.
And the peak is named Esther.
I'll settle for that.
Jim