Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
NorthBay

Black Fly Challenge...

Man, the timing couldn't have been better to open a cycling forum here. Is anybody else thinking of doing the Black Fly Challenge in June. I've been trying to get a guy or two to make the drive up for this, but I'm not having much luck. So I guess what I'm really getting at is...Does anybody else need a riding partner to get the race started off?

Steve
NorthBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

What is the Black Fly Challenge??

I am not into racing, I just tour around on my hybrid, but I am curious about this Black Fly Challenge.
-Maya Angelou
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Buckshot

http://www.blackflychallenge.com/
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
NorthBay

Buckshots thread pretty much covered that...I'm not interested in vying for first place in the race. I'm doing it more for the challenge of doing it. 40 Miles through the Moose River Plains should make for an interesting ride.

It would be nice to have some sort of moral support on the ride. My wife won't ride, but I think I can coax her into being the pick up at the end of the ride in Indian Lake.

By the way, from what I understand there are plenty of hybrids that take on the challenge...as well as something about a unicycle - I can't imagine that going 40 through the plains.

Steve
Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Kyler
Admin

I haven't spent enough time on a bike recently to make an attempt at this, but I should do it sooner or later.

6 or 7 years ago I did a ride through the Moose River Plains with three others. We parked in Old Forge, rode to Inlet, and then through the plains to Indian Lake. We stayed in Indian Lake that night and then rode Rt 28 back to Old Forge the next day. The road ride on mountain bike tires made for a long second day.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
NorthBay

I just had my bike out for the first time myself...I suppose its time to start commuting to work. I'm not expecting to come in first or anywhere near it. I just want to complete the challenge and enjoy the ride.

Steve
Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Alpine1

It's a great race

I have done the race 3 times. The first time I finished 1/2 hr behind the leaders and was very happy with that result. The second time I upgraded bikes and finished 20 minutes slower and the last time had a flat at the finish line ( a very common on the course so be prepared to fix flats).
It can be very challenging depending on your mind set. Don't train just your legs for this race, the downhills can be very fast and are typically bumpy (washboard and boulders disguised as pebbles) which puts a lot of strain on your arm muscles.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay View Post
Man, the timing couldn't have been better to open a cycling forum here. Is anybody else thinking of doing the Black Fly Challenge in June. I've been trying to get a guy or two to make the drive up for this, but I'm not having much luck. So I guess what I'm really getting at is...Does anybody else need a riding partner to get the race started off?

Steve
Hi, I have done the race twice, it is not easy. You would think rolling flat ground would be easy but it wasn't. You do need to be in great shape just to finish this race. My legs completly gave out about a 3/4 of the way, the hills were destroying me at a unusaul rate. I used to think I was a very good cyclist until I tried this race. I was happy to finish under 5hours. Very sad I know.
Top riders were finishing just over two hours time which I think is incredible, that is an average 20mph through the whole course. If you haven't driven from Inlet to Indian lake via the Moose river plains do so, and do so slow! You will get the idea how hard it is on a bicycle. Just enough sand and hard stone on the course to let you know how much of a athlete you may or not be. Bring a lot of instant energy snacks and yes, spare tubes and a spare tire. Sidewalls can blow out too!

I wouldn't mind a ride from Boonville and a ride back from the race if any one is offering?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I rode my touring bike through there last August from Indian Lake to Inlet with camping gear and such, it was a rough ride for a road bike but well worth it. I made a couple of side trips, one to Mitchell Ponds which was not quite as nice as I had hoped and one to Rock Dam which was really beautiful. Rock Dam Rd was closed to vehicles but I was still able to bike most of the way along it to the trailhead. The potholes in the Moose River Road are incredibly deep in places, I had to stop several times to straighten my load or pick up things that vibrated loose or flew out. I learned to watch the road very closely, which resulted in missing some of the scenery but I thought that was better than having a come-uppance.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
NorthBay

2 hours...that's fast for that terrain. I have only been through up to about 2 mile east of the Lost Ponds from the west side and have come through up to the Wakely Mountain Trailhead from the east. I haven't seen the small section that lies in between. I'm planning to ride my Gary Fisher that I bought two years ago. It handles the singletrack around here fine, a full blown road (with more speed) should be interesting.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay View Post
2 hours...that's fast for that terrain. I have only been through up to about 2 mile east of the Lost Ponds from the west side and have come through up to the Wakely Mountain Trailhead from the east. I haven't seen the small section that lies in between. I'm planning to ride my Gary Fisher that I bought two years ago. It handles the singletrack around here fine, a full blown road (with more speed) should be interesting.
Really fast wouldn't you say?

I believe in 2010 the top time was 2:08 or 2:15:30 by Robert Douglas in the cyclecross, don't quote me for certain but I believe that was one of the times.

My first year was 3:33:19, not bad for a '29er
Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
JJW

I Wish I had more pictures of the year I raced.
I think it was 2008?

Great time, well organized, a lot of FUN!
We went from Inlet to Indian Lake that year.
Some super memories.
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
SteveSam

Off to the race tomorrow. Weather might be OK. Should be interesting.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
SteveSam

Conditions were great. They had a record setting crowd - over 500 entered and the course record was broken by nearly six minutes. The race was very well run. I finished about an hour behind the first riders. I'll be back next year.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
JimB

I did this race also, it was my 3rd time. My brother and I did it the first year it was run, from Indian Lake to Inlet. There were 60 riders, quite a change from the 500 plus this year. About 5 or 6 years ago I did it from Inlet to Indian Lake and bonked terribly. This year on a 29er my time was 3:01. which was OK for me. The guys finishing in 1:47 was crazy.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
Alpine1

Hats off to Ted and crew for what must have been another great race

Upon further review it would appear that a lot of riders broke the previous record. Conditions must have been great or the riders are getting stronger!

men: Cory Burns, time: 1:47:38
women: Ruth Sherman, time: 2:01:58

https://blackflychallenge.files.word...ag-results.pdf

Last edited by Alpine1; 06-12-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Riosacandaga
soggy

Good times...
http://www.skinet.com/skiing/photo-g...things-do-june
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Too early for a bump to see who might be doing this next June? I believe it's on the 8th. I'm looking forward to doing it
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Riosacandaga
soggy

Ready to bump? Registered for this year.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
BACKWOODSY

Tips for a first time racer

Girlfriend signed me up for this years race (challenge). I never have done any bike races of any kind before. Does anyone have any tips for first time participants. I did see the tip about flat tires.
Hardtail or full suspension? Everyone going for the 29er's right? I can't believe folks average 20mph for the winners. Is there a cutoff time? Are there any aid stations? Thanks for the replies.
BACKWOODSY is offline   Reply With Quote