Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
spidennis

now that's something I've never seen or heard of, or even thought about! ..... and that works? not just staged for the camera shot? I wonder what kind of milage he's done like this?

spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
Piperflyer

The guys I saw were part of an orienteering event that was being put on for the weekend. They were riding in the woods as well as the groomed trails. Must be good flotation on those tires
Piperflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
JimB

The snowshoes are Northern Lites Elites, I have the same ones. They are noted for trail running though I have done many High Peaks also with mine. Now I need to get the same bike
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperflyer View Post
The guys I saw were part of an orienteering event that was being put on for the weekend. They were riding in the woods as well as the groomed trails. Must be good flotation on those tires
Where was the event happening?
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #25
Piperflyer

Happy Valley, just off Rt. 104 by Altmar, NY
Piperflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Edb 46 er

Any new pics guys?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #27
bmike-vt

Not from te ADKs, but from across the pond in VT. Have been to the ADKs on my bike this year. Maybe this winter. Or on skis.

I'd love to do this kind of trip in the ADKs.

Group of 4 struck out on Pugsleys to explore the Green Mountains from Pittsfield to Silver Lake and back. We had a first gen Pugsley with Surly racks and panniers, an IGH Nerco with Porcelain Rocket Kit, a single speed with bikepacking kit, and a geared machine with bikepacking kit.

Good times. Lots of pushing. Incredible, if difficult terrain. 56+ miles over 2 days. Day 2 was mostly pave after we got out of camp on the Leicester Hollow trail. We cut out some trail and a longer route option due to freezing rain / snow coming over Brandon Gap.

Day 1 weather was great - cold, but clear. Blue skies. Moving higher into the mountains we had snow on the ground. Lower we had mud and slop and fun. As we setup camp at Silver Lake under headlamps we had snow flakes falling. That came down all night as snow / freezing rain. At 2am everything was white. By the time I got up at 6 to try and build a fire it was all wet and gone.

fatbikes by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2132 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2148 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

chittenden reservoir by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2164 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

QBP glamour shot by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2198 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2220 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

leicester hollow trail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

campsite by mbeganyi, on Flickr

pugsley and contrail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

my contrail and wil's moment by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2280 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

freezing rain, wind, brandon gap by mbeganyi, on Flickr

IMG_2316 by mbeganyi, on Flickr
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
Edb 46 er

Great shots bMike, thanks for posting your trip and the photos. Vermont is looking pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of a mini Tour Divide.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
JimB

Great trip report and pictures. I've been seriously looking for a fat bike to add to my collection. Looks like you had a great time.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Great shots bMike, thanks for posting your trip and the photos. Vermont is looking pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of a mini Tour Divide.
there is work being done on an end to end dirt / mountain bike route.
we were on a bit of it.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #31
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
there is work being done on an end to end dirt / mountain bike route.
we were on a bit of it.
Feel free to keep us informed.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
RichieC

These beasts look great! Another expensive sport. Argggg.

However- a word to the wise for what it is worth. I once took my motorcycle out on an unusually warm very late winter day, motorcycles have a sunny day insurance provision- which gave me the idea. Lots & lots of snow on the ground, was a fun trip is just for the novelty of doing it. Was a beautiful day and good to get back out. I then simply parked the bike till "real" spring.

I wish I hadn't... the sand in the road in late winter & early spring has lots if salt in it I figured out. The tires pick it up and fling it everywhere even dry. Salt had gotten behind the clear coating on the aluminum and corroded it in ugly blossoms everywhere there was a ding. I would have hosed it off if I had known or a series of buckets- but in the tiny places I don't think this would have worked completely. Too cold to have a hose out for a few month's anyways, and it was dry after all, I never gave it another thought.

Has anyone run into the effects of salt that you must dose the entire bike with? If not , at least worth a thought on the subject- hate to see your $2-$3g's bikes get eaten ugly!

FYI
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieC View Post
These beasts look great! Another expensive sport. Argggg.

However- a word to the wise for what it is worth. I once took my motorcycle out on an unusually warm very late winter day, motorcycles have a sunny day insurance provision- which gave me the idea. Lots & lots of snow on the ground, was a fun trip is just for the novelty of doing it. Was a beautiful day and good to get back out. I then simply parked the bike till "real" spring.

I wish I hadn't... the sand in the road in late winter & early spring has lots if salt in it I figured out. The tires pick it up and fling it everywhere even dry. Salt had gotten behind the clear coating on the aluminum and corroded it in ugly blossoms everywhere there was a ding. I would have hosed it off if I had known or a series of buckets- but in the tiny places I don't think this would have worked completely. Too cold to have a hose out for a few month's anyways, and it was dry after all, I never gave it another thought.

Has anyone run into the effects of salt that you must dose the entire bike with? If not , at least worth a thought on the subject- hate to see your $2-$3g's bikes get eaten ugly!

FYI
If it gets out on the road for a stretch one could certainly hose it off if there is a concern. But in general, I don't see the point of owning a bike (or skis, running shoes, tents, chisels, hammers, or kitchen knives) if I don't plan on using them for their intended purpose.

I wear through chains. Have replaced shifters. And I'm sure that the frame saver coating I sprayed inside the frame could be re applied.

But if I'm out and getting dirty and wearing out my equipment - I'll take that as a sign that I'm doing something right.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #34
Edb 46 er

Quote:
If it gets out on the road for a stretch one could certainly hose it off if there is a concern. But in general, I don't see the point of owning a bike (or skis, running shoes, tents, chisels, hammers, or kitchen knives) if I don't plan on using them for their intended purpose.

I wear through chains. Have replaced shifters. And I'm sure that the frame saver coating I sprayed inside the frame could be re applied.

But if I'm out and getting dirty and wearing out my equipment - I'll take that as a sign that I'm doing something right.
Amen brother. I am for taking care of my equipment on the other hand as well.

"It's like when you buy a new rifle and you are afraid to take it into the woods to use because of rain getting into those new crevices. But once you break the seal it's all good."

I've learned to enjoy proper maintenance.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #35
Riosacandaga
soggy

B-mike vt,
Did you cross over on Fuster's Bridge and up the GMT's ? That is a nice area. Only been over on day trips.
Excellent trip, nice write up!
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #36
Beeblesticks

Quote:
If you don't wear out your equipment you never get to buy new stuff. Great pics, thanks.
Beeblesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
B-mike vt,
Did you cross over on Fuster's Bridge and up the GMT's ? That is a nice area. Only been over on day trips.
Excellent trip, nice write up!
We didn't ride at GMT, we just parked there. Headed over the greens up lower michigan road and trails from there.

We had the Contest Trail on day 2. That got mixed after the freezing rain and cold coming down Brandon gap.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #38
JimB

I just put a down payment on a 9:zero:7 at Epic Outdoor Adventures. I really wanted a black ano but by procrastinating I ended up with a beatiful green one. It is a build and I am going to drill out the rims for less weight before they build the rest of the bike. It will be tubeless with some lighter tires so the performance should be more like my 29er, only fatter. Hopefully I can post some pics when I get to ride it.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #39
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I just put a down payment on a 9:zero:7 at Epic Outdoor Adventures. I really wanted a black ano but by procrastinating I ended up with a beatiful green one. It is a build and I am going to drill out the rims for less weight before they build the rest of the bike. It will be tubeless with some lighter tires so the performance should be more like my 29er, only fatter. Hopefully I can post some pics when I get to ride it.
Good for you. Great bike I imagine, have some fun!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #40
JimB

I dropped off my rims tonight so they can start the build tomorrow. Spent 3 hours yesterday drilling the 1 3/8 holes around both rims. Specified the Jones bars and tubeless Nates, can't wait to get it covered with snow!!