Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #41
mulveyr

Fat bikes are really starting to take off. There are now decent $600+ options out there. Bikes Direct, an online-only company, is now selling re-badged Norwegian fatbikes: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm They've been getting good reviews online.

I've been winter biking for a while now but have just put in an order for my first fatbike. Once it comes up I'm going to head up to Old Forge to try it out.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #42
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
Fat bikes are really starting to take off. There are now decent $600+ options out there. Bikes Direct, an online-only company, is now selling re-badged Norwegian fatbikes: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm They've been getting good reviews online.

I've been winter biking for a while now but have just put in an order for my first fatbike. Once it comes up I'm going to head up to Old Forge to try it out.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #43
bmike-vt

I just replaced my Salsa Fargo with a Surly Krampus. Its not a fatbike, more like a chubby mountain bike. This will be my go to exploration bike... getting the kit dialed in. The 20+ wheels and tires eat up rough stuff, and roll pretty well considering their size. And I can run a 29r wheel set no issues - the frame keeps things with standard MTB parts... unlike my Pugsley or most fat bikes that require super sized hubs and bottom brackets.

Krampus shakedown by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Krampus session in the local woods by mbeganyi, on Flickr
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #44
ADK123

I've been wanting to ride a fat bike for awhile now. I finally had the opportunity yesterday.

Riding a fat bike is a whole bunch of fun. I mean, really, REALLY fun.

I rented it from Mountainman in Old Forge. $32 for four hours. Worth every penny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heaven.jpg (139.3 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by ADK123; 11-23-2014 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Photo issues. As per usual.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:36 AM   #45
Trailpatrol

Beautiful photos! Sounds like a great trip!

Ride safe,
Hans
Old 12-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #46
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK123 View Post
I've been wanting to ride a fat bike for awhile now. I finally had the opportunity yesterday.

Riding a fat bike is a whole bunch of fun. I mean, really, REALLY fun.

I rented it from Mountainman in Old Forge. $32 for four hours. Worth every penny.
Yes, they are a nice group up there in OF Mountainman. Surly Moonlander on display last time I was in OF. Funds kinda tight for a full blown purchase for me. I was looking at the Salsa's as well very nice bikes.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #47
ADK123

The Salsa Mukluks? Yep. Those look pretty nice.

Back in the 90's Portland, Oregon had a yellow bike program. Free, inexpensive bikes - painted a screaming yellow - were sprinkled throughout the city for anyone to hop on and ride. When you reached your destination you would simply leave the bike for the next person.

Thought about this as I was hoofing it on AMR's Lake Road Saturday evening.

Perhaps a similar fatbike program could be a component of the Great South Woods Project?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #48
Edb 46 er

Quote:

Back in the 90's Portland, Oregon had a yellow bike program. Free, inexpensive bikes - painted a screaming yellow - were sprinkled throughout the city for anyone to hop on and ride. When you reached your destination you would simply leave the bike for the next person.

Perhaps a similar fatbike program could be a component of the Great South Woods Project?
Allbeit, that sounds great but a big unlikely in our area Are you from Oregon perhaps? ( South woods project?)
Old 12-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #49
Edb 46 er

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Allbeit, that sounds great but a big unlikely in our area Are you from Oregon perhaps? ( South woods project?)
Mukluk, oh yeah baby!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #50
fvrwld

FYI...there is a Salsa Mukluk listed on Craiglist Albany right now.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #51
ADK123

Quote:
Allbeit, that sounds great but a big unlikely in our area
Unikely in most areas. Like most social experiments lack of follow-through and in this case, theft of bikes, led it to its demise within three years. My idea was mostly tongue-in cheek - driven by my desire to be riding, not hiking, those last two miles to the car.

Quote:
Mukluk, oh yeah baby!
Admittedly, I am a novice to fat biking. While the Mukluk looks to be a stellar bike, I am searching for more of an entry-level set-up. The Framed Minnesota, which I test rode in Old Forge, looks to be more my speed. Plus, they designed a fatbike specifically for women with a lower standover and shortened crank length.That's where I went with my mountain bike and my knees and back still thank me to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
FYI...there is a Salsa Mukluk listed on Craiglist Albany right now.
Took a look and the frame is too large, but thanks so much for the heads-up. Appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #52
Edb 46 er

ADK123,

try looking at a group of bicycles from State Bicycle, they are pretty cool and not bad on the wallet.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #53
Riosacandaga
soggy

Fat bike development is ongoing- I believe that currently there is a leveling off, but products will continue to be tweaked. Do as much research as possible, especially when buying older models. Here is some good information on earlier MUkluks and some general history. http://salsacycles.com/culture/2012_mukluk_lineup/ (Millimeters Matter)

Last edited by Riosacandaga; 12-28-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #54
Cloud-Splitter

Newcomb Guide Service now has Fat Bikes Tours. We are still getting organized but if you have questions you can call Cloud-Splitter Outfitters. (518)582-2583
Cloud-Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #55
Riosacandaga
soggy

That's great Cloud-Splitter! Good luck with the tours!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #56
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud-Splitter View Post
Newcomb Guide Service now has Fat Bikes Tours. We are still getting organized but if you have questions you can call Cloud-Splitter Outfitters. (518)582-2583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
Fat bike development is ongoing- I believe that currently there is a leveling off, but products will continue to be tweaked. Do as much research as possible, especially when buying older models. Here is some good information on earlier MUkluks and some general history. http://salsacycles.com/culture/2012_mukluk_lineup/ (Millimeters Matter)
Thanks for the link, Riosacandaga. Rather than helping, I do believe it left me more confused. Chain/tire rub? For a neophyte such as myself, how would I know if a different model (i.e., framed minnesota) would present similar issues? The article gave ways to fix/address these issues, but if one doesn't have the knowledge or the tools, should one stop considering a fatbike altogether?

I'm very used to my mountain bike. Ride hard. Wash. Take to the shop for repairs when needed. Repeat. Sounds like the fatbike requires more than this? I just want to ride in the snow.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #57
Riosacandaga
soggy

Sorry didn't mean to confuse. There most likely should not be any problem with chain rub on current bikes. By widening the bottom bracket and rear hub the chain line is moved far enough to clear the rubber. This has required evolution of the mtb frame and hubs and bottom bracket to clear 5" tires on 100 mm rims. On my blackborow with an eight speed cassette there is mm's of clearance between the chain and tire.

Fatbikes don't require any more care than your MTB. The only cavaet is riding slushed covered roads with salt and crap...
Old 12-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #58
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riosacandaga View Post
Sorry didn't mean to confuse. There most likely should not be any problem with chain rub on current bikes. By widening the bottom bracket and rear hub the chain line is moved far enough to clear the rubber. This has required evolution of the mtb frame and hubs and bottom bracket to clear 5" tires on 100 mm rims. On my blackborow with an eight speed cassette there is mm's of clearance between the chain and tire.

Fatbikes don't require any more care than your MTB. The only cavaet is riding slushed covered roads with salt and crap...
Ok. Gotcha. I wasn't sure if it was just Salsa that had figured out how to eradicate the chain rub. Thanks. And very happy to hear fatbikes don't require any more care than I give to my mtbike.

Salt and crap covered roads? In central New York? I'm not familiar with this.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #59
Edb 46 er

http://www.statebicycle.com/
Old 12-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #60
ADK123

Quote:
Thanks for the link. However, I have officially fallen in love with the Women's Framed Minnesota 2.0. Everything I've read is positive and looks to be a great entry-level bike. Now to find a good deal!