Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
jpmche

Question Blackfly

I'm considering doing this race this season and I was wondering if someone can provide info about camping out and the shuttle, etc. Any help will be appreciated.

JP
jpmche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Alpine1

This might be a good place to start.
http://www.blackflychallenge.com/
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Riosacandaga
soggy

Plenty of camping, from primitive to commercial. We used the shuttle for the first time last year. Worked out good for us. Unless there are changes, if you take the morning shuttle only bring what you want to carry. There is no gear shuttle back until the end of the day and the buses may not be the same. The buses are rented from local rafting companies. So after the morning shuttle they go off and run there rafting biz. Then come back later for the end of the day.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
mulveyr

Anyone else thinking of doing the Black Fly? I just signed up, though I won't be competitive; it will just be a nice ride through the woods and mountains for me. I'm considering using my Pugsley fat bike.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
JimB

I'm planning on doing it again. I have a 9:zero:7 I've been riding for awhile and have considered using it but I'm running Nates and there is a lot of road at each end. I'll probably wimp out and use the Stumpjumper again.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I'm planning on doing it again. I have a 9:zero:7 I've been riding for awhile and have considered using it but I'm running Nates and there is a lot of road at each end. I'll probably wimp out and use the Stumpjumper again.

I put a pair of Husker Du's on as my "summer" tires, and they're so much lighter and faster on pavement than the Nate/Larry pair I run in the winter that it's not even funny--I did a 35 mile pavement ride last night and my average speed was 4-5mph faster over 2.5 hours.

That being said, I'm wavering between the Pugs and using my 650B road bike with 42mm tires. Any opinion how much sandy conditions can be expected on the unpaved part? The tires I have are great for gravel and packed dirt, but aren't much fun in sand at all.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have ridden through there on two occasions, August 2011 and August 2013, so I don't know what it is like in the spring but during the summer there are definitely some sandy areas that were a bit challenging. I rode a Trek 520 with drop bars and 38 smooth road tires and I was carrying probably 20 pounds or more, all of my camping stuff plus some food and a fairly minimal tool kit. The sand patches could be slippery and hard to accelerate while I was in them because the tire wouldspin but some of the potholes were quite severe. In a lot of places I would have gone faster downhill but there were so many holes to dodge that I didn't dare, and many of the holes were deep and narrow enough that if I had hit them at any speed I would have lost it. Also there are rocks that stick up a few or several inches in places and needed to be dodged around for the same reason. It is a pretty road, just a little bit more exciting than some.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
JimB

I have done the race 4 times and many people ride cyclocross bikes with pretty narrow tires. The only sandy sections are the flats in the Moose River Plains. They can be soft but you can usually find a line that is hardest. Knobbies are tough on the road sections but handy to have if you like to rip on the downhills which can be loose and rough.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
bmike-vt

When I thru tripped on my Fargo I ran WTB Vulpines. 2.1 I think. It was too much tire for all the road and dirt road that I rode, and just enough for some sections. They roll pretty quick on pave and dirt road, and really add cushion to the rough stuff.

I ride a lot of dirt over this side of the lake on 28s. I have room for 32 and fenders - so next time I need tires I'll be stepping up a size.

If I were doing a fixed point ride and knew the weather I'd probably roll on some wider semi slick cross tires or some 32 or 35 Paselas. I'd also run this setup for a dirt road / pave / camping trip. If I was touring / campng dirt and road and singletrack I'd be on my Fargo and the Vulpines.

Are you running Hetres? They will likely be fine, although it's been a couple of years since I rode MRP.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
When I thru tripped on my Fargo I ran WTB Vulpines. 2.1 I think. It was too much tire for all the road and dirt road that I rode, and just enough for some sections. They roll pretty quick on pave and dirt road, and really add cushion to the rough stuff.

I ride a lot of dirt over this side of the lake on 28s. I have room for 32 and fenders - so next time I need tires I'll be stepping up a size.

If I were doing a fixed point ride and knew the weather I'd probably roll on some wider semi slick cross tires or some 32 or 35 Paselas. I'd also run this setup for a dirt road / pave / camping trip. If I was touring / campng dirt and road and singletrack I'd be on my Fargo and the Vulpines.

Are you running Hetres? They will likely be fine, although it's been a couple of years since I rode MRP.
I'm actually running Compass Babyshoe Pass tires ( http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_comp_650_42.html ) which are essentially the next generation Hetre's. They're great on gravel and packed dirt.

I was just reading that if enough fat bikes show up this year the organizers might make them a prize category, so that alone might be a good enough reason to use the Pugsley. :-)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
Riosacandaga
soggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
I put a pair of Husker Du's on as my "summer" tires, and they're so much lighter and faster on pavement than the Nate/Larry pair I run in the winter that it's not even funny--I did a 35 mile pavement ride last night and my average speed was 4-5mph faster over 2.5 hours.

That being said, I'm wavering between the Pugs and using my 650B road bike with 42mm tires. Any opinion how much sandy conditions can be expected on the unpaved part? The tires I have are great for gravel and packed dirt, but aren't much fun in sand at all.
This year it goes from Inlet to Indian Lake so there is no single track as like when it ends in Inlet.
Last year, Indian Lake to Inlet, I raced cyclocross and used WTB Allterrainasaurus 37mm. They were fine through the sandy part of the plains and the muddy single track at the end. I've also used Kenda Small Block 8's (29X2.1) and they work good as long as it's dry.
THe serious , too serious?, MTB's are running skinny cyclocross tires on their 29ers to get an edge.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

i'm signed up with a buddy... it will be a fun day for me.my first year.. ... not looking to break a record, just finish.. doing some miles on the road bike to prepair for the 4-5 hr day.. good luck all....if you see my 46r bandana, stop over and say hi or on your way by me
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
bridgeman

Hopefully your 46er bandana will be under your helmet, which is required.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Hopefully your 46er bandana will be under your helmet, which is required.
No, it will be flying outside...And yes I do know the rules, thanks..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
mulveyr

For what it's worth, I did a spur-of-the moment trip up to Inlet yesterday and rode from Arrowhead Park out to Helldiver pond and back. I was curious about how well my road bike with the 42mm file-tread tires would do.

On the positive side, they were perfect for the climbs out of Limekiln. ( Me, on the other hand... let's just say there is no possible way I will be competitive. ) When I got to some of the sandier bits on the plain, they were OK, though in a couple of looser spots I was skidding out a bit, but not too bad.

I also met up with a ranger who was new on the job, and we chatted for a little bit. I mentioned that there would be 500 or so cyclists coming through in two weeks, and she said she'd been told she'd be working that day, but hasn't heard there would be so many people. :-)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
For what it's worth, I did a spur-of-the moment trip up to Inlet yesterday and rode from Arrowhead Park out to Helldiver pond and back. I was curious about how well my road bike with the 42mm file-tread tires would do.

On the positive side, they were perfect for the climbs out of Limekiln. ( Me, on the other hand... let's just say there is no possible way I will be competitive. ) When I got to some of the sandier bits on the plain, they were OK, though in a couple of looser spots I was skidding out a bit, but not too bad.

I also met up with a ranger who was new on the job, and we chatted for a little bit. I mentioned that there would be 500 or so cyclists coming through in two weeks, and she said she'd been told she'd be working that day, but hasn't heard there would be so many people. :-)
rookies learn fast.....I'm there to finish and enjoy with my friend...99% of us are nowhere close to being competitive in this race.. More of self challenge and the cold beer and music later reflecting the days challenge..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Good luck to all tomorrow on the race...!!
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
mulveyr

Great race! Even though it rained for three days before, I ended up using my road bike and was perfectly fine. The course was in excellent condition--a little slippery going up the first mountain, a little sandy for around 1/2 mile on the plains, but fine otherwise.

I met a bunch of people, and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I think a lot of people had fun.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #19
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

yup , good race... Do you have the special tire for the road bike?? i dont dare with my road tires, very smooth. I would think id pop or puncture the tire. Multi hills for the first 15 miles really had me whoopped abit... after that on the sand flats i was gaining and once i hit the Dam i get better and better as much beter peddling mtn bike on. I did ok.. far back in my class but 3:47 is fine.. How the heck could that guy finish in 1:20???!! insane speeds and stamina..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
yup , good race... Do you have the special tire for the road bike?? i dont dare with my road tires, very smooth. I would think id pop or puncture the tire. Multi hills for the first 15 miles really had me whoopped abit... after that on the sand flats i was gaining and once i hit the Dam i get better and better as much beter peddling mtn bike on. I did ok.. far back in my class but 3:47 is fine.. How the heck could that guy finish in 1:20???!! insane speeds and stamina..

I used 42mm slicks at around 35-40psi, and while I slipped around a little bit on the first big climb ( Fern Mountain? ) they were fine for the rest of the ride. I think the only significant disadvantage I had was on the backside of Wakely Mountain, where I couldn't go as fast on the fine gravel as people with knobbies. My top speed was something 33mph, and yet some guys on cross bikes were rocketing past me. My GPS track is at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/520637274

Looking at the elevation maps beforehand I was afraid that the climb up Wakely was going to kill me, but I guess I hit my stride by that point, and it wasn't a problem. The decent from mile 20 on felt *nice* :-)

I ended up at 3:00 for my official time. Yeah, the top contenders were amazing, weren't they--including that 15-year-old who took what, 2nd or 3rd overall?