Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
gabby

twitchell creek

can anyone please tell me if twitchell creek is still good for native brook trout.I am a catch and release fly fisherman.
gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Please, no place names. Too much internet lurking ruins sensitive spots.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
JW

Does anyone else realize acid rain wiped out brook trout fishing in the adirondacks? Although the bass and pike fishing is excellent and improving!
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
58rover

wow twitchell creek that brings back memories. Used to have a friend who's family had a camp in Big Moo and we would haul a canoe down the bank where twitchell creek crossed the twitchell lake road and fish down to first pond and back. In early 70's fishing was great have not been back there in 30 years but heard from a Stillwater resident that it is nothing like it was and difficult to catch anything.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
58rover

JW that is not entirely true. There are still some great brook trout fishing areas around.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Welcome to the forum Gabby. You might try to PM some members regarding your question.

"Please, no place names. Too much internet lurking ruins sensitive spots."

Unfortunately VT is correct for if you look at who is online you will see a vast number of lurkers. Everyone is welcome but not everyone respects our beautiful park so we have become protective as we have seen results of the needy and greedy. I too throw them back so we can fool them again someday.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

JW, there are many a stream in the Adirondacks where you can catch wild brook trout to your hearts desire. With the right conditions and correct fly I've caught well over 35 brookies in a half day of fishing. I have a waterproof camera so I like to find a boulder with a pool on top of it and I'll momentarily put the fish in the pool so I can photograph it safely before returning it to the stream. Of course, they're nothing of real size, but that's what float tubing ponds is for!

DEC has made tremendous efforts in not only protecting (surviving) wild brook trout populations, but also in reintroducing them to waters in which they once flourished. I personally am very impressed with what they have been able to accomplish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA081289.jpg (51.0 KB, 106 views)
MarqueKugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
gabby

thanks for the info schultzz.we stay at 7th lake the last 10 days in sept,but I think I will pass the creek up and try and catch some smallmouths on fly.I am in Sullivan county pa,but the trout fishing was destroyed here by hurricane Iriene in 2011.
gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
gmorin71

smallies on the fly...talk about a love/hate. i cant stand bass fishing but when you hook up with a big smallie on the fly rod, gotta admit that is pretty fun
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
trouthunter

This particular area of the Adirondacks has been hurt a lot by acid rain for sure. I also remember great days on Twitchell and Snake Pond but have given up there because I've been skunked every time in the last 20 years or so.
Seventh Lake is a great spot for smallies on the fly...Try the northern rocky shoreline.