Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
gmorin71

Decent Day

Marquekugs decided to stay home and keep downloading pictures of brown trout off the internet to post on this forum so I ventured out alone to my favorite spot. Didn't have the best day, but some 14-16" porkers stopped by to say hi. took some work to get them. surface temps seem to really be warming up and i've really had to find the fish lately. high overhead sun didnt seem to help either.

Im also posting this report to ask a question that might sound dumb, but I dont hunt...do deer hiss? i startled some large animal on my way out and really pissed it off. as it bolted it started letting out some really loud hissing noises and it scared the crap out of me because i didnt really see the animal. also, it kept doing it. i could hear it getting farther and farther away and it just kept hissing. it was a sound almost like if you put your teeth together and exhale very strongly, thats what it sounded like. do deer do that? i cant think of any other animal it could have been, either way it was not pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kibby may 31 2014.jpg (132.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg kibby may 31 2014 (2).jpg (112.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg kibby may 31 2014 (3).jpg (130.0 KB, 172 views)
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
bassanglers912

First, nice trout!
Second, deer do snort...and lots of other things hiss (from raccoon to opossum to woodchucks... and i won't mention cats)
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

Last year a coyote ran down a fawn in my backyard. The two adult deer that showed up shortly thereafter were hissing and barking like a dog.
MarqueKugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
gmorin71

This was a large animal. Not a racoon or anything
Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
Limekiln

I've heard fishers make a hissing noise before but never deer, but I'm sure it's possible.

Nice fish.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
ehsfishin72

When a Deer is alarmed it will make a noise that sounds like a hiss, they do this to warn other Deer. I bet you could find that sound w/out too much trouble by doing a search. Beautiful fish.
ehsfishin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
forgedin78

I probably wouldn't describe it as a hiss, but deer will "blow" at you. It sounds like they are blowing out their nose at you. Its a short, snort. I always figured they had caught my scent and were offended by it....but either way, its an alarm sound for sure.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Gman

Burmese Python?
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Burmese Python?
Very good.

BTW, great fish, Gary!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
I probably wouldn't describe it as a hiss, but deer will "blow" at you. It sounds like they are blowing out their nose at you. Its a short, snort. I always figured they had caught my scent and were offended by it....but either way, its an alarm sound for sure.
thats a much better way to describe it. thats exactly what it was. i youtubed it, it was a deer. figured it was anyway.