Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Cycling Season

'Tis the season...
Anyone been out?
I've been riding the mountain bike locally here in the Capital District for a few weeks now, hoping to take it up north soon.
You?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

150 miles on the road bike so far, but it's been too sporadic to get in shape yet.
My mt bike hangs in the garage, kept company by my unicycle...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
150 miles on the road bike so far...
Nice!
All on your lunch breaks again I assume?
I rode past your house the other day, saw the stripper strapped to the Element and smiled.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
jan

I spent a couple days this week riding on Grand Isle near Burlington. Very nice ride.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
I spent a couple days this week riding on Grand Isle near Burlington. Very nice ride.
Nice!
Thanks for sharing, Jan.
The recent warm weather has been great for riding!
I had to work today, otherwise I'd probably be out hiking with my dog again, but it sure was nice to get out for a fun 8+ mile ride locally after work today that I enjoy doing.

Anyone else been out riding?

Last edited by Justin; 05-10-2015 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I positively have been riding on the winter damaged capital district roads...I have skinny 20 x 700C tires and I have to maintain at least 110 psi to avoid snake bites. My lunchtime rides from work can lead me towards Guilderland and flatter terrain, or towards Latham and Cohoes, with much climbing (sometimes as much as 3,000 ft). But any which way I ride, the roads looks like post WWII France!! Either way I go, I pedal up to 20 miles on my lunch break. Once the season and my fitness progresses, I throw in climbs on Grant Hill, and French's Mills Rd, but those rides end up around 23 miles.
Last year, I took an unintended 28 mile lunchtime ride...somehow I crossed NYS Rt 155 without noticing, and wandered through the back roads around Voorheesville until I found a familiar landmark. I even had to beg for water from some guy tending his garden!! That was a pretty big oops.
And yes, I sew all of my own bike shorts. I can't justify paying $80 for a yard of Lycra. It costs me about $15 to make a pair of Coolmax shorts, and I shouldn't admit this, but I enjoy sewing them!!
Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Ha, yeah the potholes around town are once again as awful as they usually are around this time of year, which is one of the reasons why I like to mix it up a bit, and link together a few favorite sections of 'trail' to help get away from the well beaten path, so to speak.
20+ Miles on a lunch break is very impressive!
How long does it usually take you?
I know that I would definitely need at least a 2 hour break after riding 20 miles.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
jan

I'm doing a 3 day bike tour around the Niagara Peninsula in mid June, so I really need to start getting out to get into some kind of shape. I mostly ride on the Warren County Bikeway or Feeder Canal Trail.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ha, yeah the potholes around town are once again as awful as they usually are around this time of year, which is one of the reasons why I like to mix it up a bit, and link together a few favorite sections of 'trail' to help get away from the well beaten path, so to speak.
20+ Miles on a lunch break is very impressive!
How long does it usually take you?
I know that I would definitely need at least a 2 hour break after riding 20 miles.
I work my way up to an average of 20 mph on the flatter rides.
Early in the season, I do shorter loops, 15 miles minimum, until I'm fit enough to go farther at the faster pace. My lunchtime is one hour long...I used to see your dad screaming down the bike path on his roller blades, haven't seen him in a year or two.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
...I used to see your dad screaming down the bike path on his roller blades, haven't seen him in a year or two.
He still goes just about every day around 3-4pm. He and my mother were interviewed & photographed for an issue of the weekly "Your Niskayuna" magazine a few weeks back.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
bmike-vt

Does the season ever end? Got 1 overnight in so far. Need to make it a regular gig.

Morning Sun by Mike, on Flickr

I've been getting out across the pond here in VT all year long. Had the skinny tires out the last couple of weeks.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Very cool photos Mike, thanks for sharing!
Die hard!
Love it!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #13
skillzman1

I bought a new mountain bike last winter. Its my first full suspension bike and I haven't ridden in almost 20 yrs.
I finally took it out on some trails starting out from Lake Desolation and rode thru some of the Mulleyville trails from that end. Did about 6 miles getting used to the bike. It was hot and I am in no way in mountain bike shape yet, but that will come.
I do have the advantage of living a mile from the local SMBA trail system. My plan is to hit a few nights a week after work.
Here are a few pics, the white one is my Giant Anthem 29er, the green one is my old Giant Yukon 26er that I just stripped and repainted/rebuilt as a bike for my son to tag along with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giant yukon.jpg (124.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg giant-anthem-.jpg (94.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by skillzman1; 05-11-2015 at 05:50 PM..
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Very cool photos Mike, thanks for sharing!
Die hard!
Love it!
Thanks. Love being on the bike and exploring. Hoping for a loop trip / tour in the ADKs late summer.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Where's Justin?
I just mapped yesterday's lunchtime ride...from work to the river, along the river to the bike path, under the Northway, up Dunsbach to Rt 9, back down Dunsbach to Pollock, Pollock to Forts ferry, back to the bike path to Nisky train station, finally back up Vly to work....17 miles and change, not sure of the total elevation gains, but just the Vly climb is 250 ft in less than 1mile. Rubber legs at the end, took about 70 minutes and 32 oz of water.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #16
colden46

Quote:
I have skinny 20 x 700C tires and I have to maintain at least 110 psi to avoid snake bites.
Just curious, but why so skinny? Wider tires have lower rolling resistance at the same pressure, or you can use lower pressure for more comfort and still avoid pinch flats. Most pros are riding 25s nowadays.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/learn/25-vs-23

Might help with making those bombed-out roads more comfortable!
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #17
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
Just curious, but why so skinny? Wider tires have lower rolling resistance at the same pressure, or you can use lower pressure for more comfort and still avoid pinch flats. Most pros are riding 25s nowadays.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/learn/25-vs-23

Might help with making those bombed-out roads more comfortable!
go even bigger if you can!

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/...ance-of-tires/

i ran 28s on my 'road' bike.
then moved to different brakes and can run 32s under fenders, or up to 40 without.

i'm using a 29+ with 3" tires for my dirt road / backcountry mountain bike these days...
Old 05-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #18
montcalm
Mobster

I'm using Surly Knard 700c x 41 on my bike. I like them quite a bit - they roll pretty fast and they will handle some dirt. I haven't taken them on a real trail yet, but I think they'll do pretty good as long as it's not too technical.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
Wldrns

Here's mine, a Rans Dynamik. Sort of an odd bird after my older lightweight Cannondale roadbike and Miyata heavy mountain bike. The Rans is a "crank forward", (though not recumbent) style. Very comfortable and with legs peddling forward a wider more comfortable seat is standard. Anyone else have a Rans?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynamik-1.jpg (49.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #20
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I'm using Surly Knard 700c x 41 on my bike. I like them quite a bit - they roll pretty fast and they will handle some dirt. I haven't taken them on a real trail yet, but I think they'll do pretty good as long as it's not too technical.
i'm running the 3" version on my krampus... love them for trail / dirt road combo rides.