Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
MTVhike

canoe cart

I'm thinking about restarting my love for canoeing, but with my 85 pound Royalex canoe, I don't want to portage it very far. I'm thinking about getting a canoe cart; there are several needs which may not be available in one cart.
1. Able to carry said Royalex canoe
2. Transportable in said canoe (for portages at the other end of the lake)
3. I plan to get a lightweight canoe/kayak soon; Hornbeck, Swift, etc. So I want the cart to be light enough to be carried in the pack canoe, if that's possible.
4. Finally, maybe pullable with a bicycle (like to Boreas Ponds).
Since the BP road is now driveable to within a mile of BP, that last need may not be necessary. Are there other places where one is allowed to bike but not drive where the bike trailer might be useful? I can think of only one, Great Camp Santanoni.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
MaximusFunk24

The only type I have ever witnessed people using without struggling over roots and through mud are the ones that have what appear to be small bicycle wheels. I would suspect these are the heaviest option though.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
MTVhike

Do you know who rents (or sells) them?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
MaximusFunk24

Im not sure locally, but the one I saw looked pretty much like this, though maybe an older version because it had spoked wheels:

https://www.rei.com/product/121841/s...yak-canoe-cart
Old 10-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
MaximusFunk24

I used to have one with those small pneumatic lawn and garden tires, but it was always a pain to use on anything except pavement. I Just invested in finding a lighter boat instead.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Lucky13

When he started out Mountain Man (John Nemjo) in Inlet, now in Old Forge, rented ones that he had made from 2x4's, Plywood and bicycle and wheelchair parts. He likely sells multiple production models now, and is about as knowledgeable as anyone on modern canoes, kayaks, SUP's etc. Give him a call.

I have a Canadian Boatwalker, the metal frame with small bicycle tires. If the trail gets rougher than small roots and rocks it can be more bother than it is worth, but on old roads and well used paths it is a pleasure to use, fits in the boat, etc. I use it with a 69 lb Radison, but I bought it for my 110 lb Old Town and it handled that fine. It is rated for 250 lbs, if I remember right, I bought it about 30 years ago. I imagine it could be adapted for a bike, I adapt mine into a rickshaw like device for hauling out my day pack and tackle when I store my camping equipment (the boat, also a wildlife viewing blind when the fish bite! ) at whatever pond I am camped near. I bungy an old tent pole to the frame, for a bike you would want a longer reach and some kind of u jointing. I suggest you PM Zach as he is the experienced one with a bike and canoe combo.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Lucky13

MF's cart is identical to mine except that they have added a good kickstand. Amazing to believe but I think I paid 130 bux almost 30 years ago and they are only 150 bux now.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
rdl

I have an older version of the REI link that MF posted. It works very well on smoother portages, and if everything is strapped on very tightly works well on bumpy/rooty portages. It fits fine within my PBW RapidFire.

A buddy of mine swears by this: https://dumb-stick.com/. I have no personal experience with it however.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Do you know who rents (or sells) them?
St Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac Lake. I think $5/ day.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
MTVhike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
St Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac Lake. I think $5/ day.
I just went there and they had them on sale, so I bought one. 150 lb capacity! Should hold my 85 lb canoe.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
Viking

In my opinion these work well. I have used them for years. I use three straps on the canoe which helps considerably with locking everything down.

The plastic knobs that are used to hold the wheels on were once an issue for me. Going through some tighter brush one was spun off and disappeared. (If you are adventurous it is somewhere by Hardigan Pond.)

Remove those, replace with bolts (bring spares), bring a pair of pliers and life is good.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
Rich Lockwood

my cart

I use the one with the fat flotation tires. it goes over almost anything. I have tried others, I like it best. Can't remember the name.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #13
Wldrns

what I like best about the Canadian Walker is it has no through axle from wheel to wheel. That allows me to portage over ground with high rocks, roots, and stumps without hitting them and getting hung up. The others with an axle going though get stuck.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
1bluefin

Canoe cart

How do you strap these carts to the canoe? When I do it 3/4 of the way back of the canoe your on the narrow end of the canoe . The straps and cart want to slide back. I tried running a strap around a thwart but broke that right off (my thwarts are glued in). A kayak is stronger and has various places to attach straps to. I was thinking about a harness by putting a strap 1/3 back from the front around the canoe and attaching straps from the cart to it on each side. This might keep the cart straight on the canoe as well and keep it from sliding back. Thoughts?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #15
Wldrns

I center the cart on the canoe. One strap buclkle is attached close to the wheel on each side, long straps attached opposite. During races, one person on each side attaches straps with one wrap going around the center thwart before throwing across to the other side person. For some canoes, such as the Min II, I use a black rubber bungee going from the cart frame to a forward thwart. This keeps everything in line, even when hitting obstructions on one side or the other. Otherwise the canoe may shift sidewise on the cart. It has worked well for fast attachments during races with portages.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #16
Bob K

I have two similar to the link below. One is SS metal and a bit heavier than the one shown. Both have been used several times with a bike & lightweight canoes to access Boreas Ponds & Newcomb Lake. Also used on foot at Essex ponds & SRCA plus to reach Jorden river. Both hold 65 lbs Royalex canoe easily. The Canadian boat Walker style likely superior for weight capacity, stability & rough portages but heavier & bigger..

https://www.amazon.com/TMS-CART-CANO.../dp/B0082365AQ

This style does fold up & with wheels removed even fit in a kayak storage compartment. Center on boat when pulling by hand, locate more toward rear when towing behind bike. Strap securely including to something fore & aft of wheel location to prevent movement. I use bungies to keep straps tight & for mount to bike ( pipe extended from rear bike rack). That flex helps smooth out the ride.

Minimize weight in canoe, especially if hills & rocks. When biking, load heavy stuff on bike itself. Keep checking alignment. You can go surprisingly fast with this setup, be careful of rocks & bumps.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
Rich Lockwood

Sorry I goofed. see the rolleez post.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #18
MTVhike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
Sorry I goofed. see the rolleez post.
couldn't find a rolleez post
Old 10-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
St.Regis

I like the Canadian walker and I've had one for many years. Before the CW, I had a different canoe cart with wide plastic tires and an aluminum frame and it wasn't nearly as durable as the CW, which have tall pneumatic tires and adjustable steel frames. I would suggest using 2 or 3 ratchet straps to secure the canoe to the cart. One is not enough. It'll go over some pretty rough ground, but you'll have to lift it over or go around wash outs, roots, and big rocks, so don't overload the canoe too much. It works best with 2 people, especially on hilly or rough carries. Tall tires allow you to go over small obstacles and through slop. It's heavy, but needs,to be rugged to carry the load over rough ground
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
Wldrns

I would never use ratchet straps on my good canoes. Two NRS cam straps have always been sufficient to hold my canoes whether on my vehicle roof top or when portaging on wheels. If anyone wants to ratchet down their kayak, then go for it.