Camping at Pharoah Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool.
    Everyone has their own way of enjoying the outdoors. As long as you're following NYSDEC Regulations, and being responsible with your campfires, then it's all good imho. Enjoy yourself, that's what it's all about.
    Thanks for once again pointing out the positive aspects of not having a campfire, and thanks for the positive private messages that I have received on the contrary. Hopefully Pikehunter 7 will be able to make a proper decision that will suit his interests and needs with the help from what has been discussed here, if and when the possible trip mentioned in the OP comes to light.

Vinegar, yes, during the colder months I like to bring along a Sven Saw, but that may be another topic that minimalist may take exception to.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. I'll be looking forward to another camping trip again this weekend somewhere, I promise no more photos.
    Take care.
    - Justin

Comment

Say it ain't so Justin, PLEASE keep posting your pics . Especially the ones with a great camp fire in them , they are my favorites.
      You are one of the best contributors to this forum, please do not let a few "holier than thou " people change what brings so many of us pleasure , your pics.
      The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Comment

Thanks Moose.
        Please feel free to look me up on facebook, where sharing photos with friends is much more enjoyable.

Comment

An older thread, but perhaps a wood gathering technique that does not impact the site you are staying at that is also way faster and easier, at least while canoe camping if it hasn't already occurred to any of you.

We drop off our gear at site, then head out in empty canoes to specifically find a spot along the shore that has no sites anywhere near, a few short minutes in the abundant down and dead wood you'll find within in easy reach, often 5' from the boat, placed into the canoe, will mean you'll probably have enough wood for the entire time you are there. We saw themto 4-5 6' lengths, butchered to regular size as used back at site. In fact, we don't bother with looking near sites anymore. I do use the herd trails to find latrines though, and for that, I find them very useful and I am not offended by them. I am offended by trash.

As far a cooking over a fire, I don't want to soot up my good pots, but we do have some larger old ones we use too big for stoves. Carefully selected hard wood cooking fire has become a gourmet steak and other meat cooking & toasting tradition of our trips. Doesn't take much wood to make a cooking fire & coals, and is gathered and put in a pack or in canoes gathered on our many forays into nearby ponds and other exploration side trips. With everybody looking, and on the same page, we easily get enough, and nobody would ever be able to tell where we got it from.

Never cut a live tree, never will. I like 'em too much!

Comment

If having the campfires that Justin has posted are legal then don't tut-tut Justin. It's not like he's shooting moose from a helicopter. The wood I saw piled up in his pics looked a lot like the dead and down variety.

If you are against other people having fires legally then write the authorities and participate in the next master plan revision. If you are against yourself having fires then fine, don't have fires.

Justin, keep posting whatever you want to post. You are fully OK in my books.
            The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieC View Post
              An older thread, but perhaps a wood gathering technique that does not impact the site you are staying at that is also way faster and easier, at least while canoe camping if it hasn't already occurred to any of you.

We drop off our gear at site, then head out in empty canoes to specifically find a spot along the shore that has no sites anywhere near, a few short minutes in the abundant down and dead wood you'll find within in easy reach, often 5' from the boat, placed into the canoe, will mean you'll probably have enough wood for the entire time you are there. We saw themto 4-5 6' lengths, butchered to regular size as used back at site. In fact, we don't bother with looking near sites anymore. I do use the herd trails to find latrines though, and for that, I find them very useful and I am not offended by them. I am offended by trash.

As far a cooking over a fire, I don't want to soot up my good pots, but we do have some larger old ones we use too big for stoves. Carefully selected hard wood cooking fire has become a gourmet steak and other meat cooking & toasting tradition of our trips. Doesn't take much wood to make a cooking fire & coals, and is gathered and put in a pack or in canoes gathered on our many forays into nearby ponds and other exploration side trips. With everybody looking, and on the same page, we easily get enough, and nobody would ever be able to tell where we got it from.
              Again, from an LNT perspective... this isn't always going to be the best solution. Riparian zones (the boundary between land and water) are extremely sensitive to recreational impacts, and maintaining them is often a high priority in managing recreation resources. Foot travel in the riparian area can result in soil compaction and/or erosion along the shore. And removal of woody debris can diminish the shorelines capacity to provide filtration of surface/ground water as it flows into water bodies (think of the riparian area as the zone of "last defense," the last chance to prevent on-land impacts from also impacting the water bodies themselves).

While dispersal of use and impact is considered appropriate in low use areas that have low existing levels of impact, it is generally considered inappropriate in high uses areas with high existing levels of impact, as it readily generates additional areas of high impact and does little to minimize the impacts in already impacted areas.

Think of it this way- what if every group camped on Pharaoh Lake (a high use area) did as you suggest? Would plying the shorelines result in lesser overall levels of impact? Or would it result in highly impacted shorelines, not just where the campsites are located, but in between the sites as well?

Again, let me emphasize that I am not saying that this technique is inappropriate in all circumstances. Just that in a situation with high levels of use such as Pharaoh Lake, it really wouldn't help the situation any, and might actually be detrimental, especially if everyone does it. In low use areas, spreading out, whether by foot or by canoe, to find firewood might not only be ok, but actually encouraged over collecting firewood only in areas immediately adjacent to a campsite (although I would encourage you to be mindful of shoreline impacts in any situation).

There is no "blanket" solution when it comes to minimizing impact. Different techniques are going to be appropriate in different areas. As a general rule, concentrating impact is preferable in high use, high impact areas, and dispersal of impact is preferable in low use, low impact areas. To me, the quintessential question we need to ask ourselves in determine what actions are appropriate appropriate isn't "what is the impact if I do this?" but "what is the impact if everyone who uses this area does this?"

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                Justin, keep posting whatever you want to post.
                Sadly I think it may be too late.
                sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Originally posted by kwc View Post
                  Sadly I think it may be too late.
                  Mustn't let the negative few spoil the positive many. Life wouldn't be worth living.

Comment

Justin, keep posting whatever you want to post. You are fully OK in my books.
                    Thanks Boss, but I wouldn't want to get fired.

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                    To me, the quintessential question we need to ask ourselves in determine what actions are appropriate appropriate isn't "what is the impact if I do this?" but "what is the impact if everyone who uses this area does this?"
                    Agreed. What if everyone was responsible and did what I do, keep their campfires to a minimum and carried out just a little more trash than they brought in, especially in high use areas?

Mustn't let the negative few spoil the positive many. Life wouldn't be worth living.
                    Agreed.
                    Again, thanks for all the kind words and PM's.

Edit:
                    I should also point out that most, if not all, of the campfire photos that I have posted in the past were taken moments after lighting the kindling, near peak flare-up (at least I tried), and the wood piles were reflective of the location of the site & the forest around it. Honestly, I mostly camp where others do not, it just so happens that I visited a few fairly popular lean-tos the last few weeks, and it was fun to relive some fond memories, and read some familiar names in the log books.
                    - Justin
                    Last edited by Justin; 11-25-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Justin , I hope you change your mind . I was reminded in a PM today from a certain " holier than thou " member that I need to get a life.
                      Until I actually do , I would like to live vicariously through your pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by adkmoose View Post
                        Justin , I hope you change your mind . I was reminded in a PM today from a certain " holier than thou " member that I need to get a life.
                        Until I actually do , I would like to live vicariously through your pictures.
                        I may indeed change my mind and not have campfires anymore.
                        None of my business, but I believe regulations apply on this forum also.

Comment

Originally posted by adkmoose View Post
                          REMINDER

All of the rules that apply to public posting also apply to PM's.
                          2) No profanity, personal attacks, derogatory remarks, deliberate goading (trolling) or taunting will be tolerated. It is understood that, at times there will be disagreements and dissenting opinions. We only ask that they be done in a civil, reasoned and rational manner.
                          All rules listed above apply in the messaging system

Comment

It's all good , I just consider the source.
                            No Harm

Happy Thanksgiving to all , Be safe.

Comment

REMINDER

All of the rules that apply to public posting also apply to PM's.
                              Can the admins even view PMs? From what I recall of the default VBulletin settings, they cannot. You have to either install a mod/add-on that grants this functionality, or access the database directly (which isn't easy to decipher unless you really know what you're looking for and how to look for it, as vbulletin stores things like posts and PMs with user ID numbers, not screen names).

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                                Can the admins even view PMs?
                                Heavens no. What a nightmare that would be.

Comment

Working...
                                X