Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #21
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

No the RINO 100 doesn't have an electronic compass. The GPS has to be moving for the compass to be accurate.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 AM   #22
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
No the RINO 100 doesn't have an electronic compass. The GPS has to be moving for the compass to be accurate.
And to elaborate, you don't get this feature until you buy the 130. Neither the 110 or 120 have the electronic compass. It's one of those perks they really make you pay for (the 120 is $275 retail and the 130 $375 retail, but was able to find the 130 for $305 shipped thanks to a forum member).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #23
Neil
Kayak-46

Did some reading and came up with this.
If your destination is directly north (0 d) of you when you start then once you begin moving your Course, Heading and bearing are all 0 d.
If you deviate 45 d west then your heading is 315 d. Your bearing becomes the direction to your destination from your new, real time position. Your course is still 0 d. Think of plotting a course. Once plotted it won’t change.
To course is the direction you must go (the heading you must follow) in order to get back to the course. The course is a straight line and I don’t know how the unit decides where on that line to aim for (shortest straight line?).
Turn is the angle difference between the bearing to your destination and your current heading. I guess that depending on the situation you wouldn’t always go back to the original course. Instead you just head to the WP.

So far, I havn’t used the gps for much more than letting the little arrow point me to the next WP so I have no idea how useful it is to know all of this material.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #24
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
And to elaborate, you don't get this feature until you buy the 130. Neither the 110 or 120 have the electronic compass. It's one of those perks they really make you pay for (the 120 is $275 retail and the 130 $375 retail, but was able to find the 130 for $305 shipped thanks to a forum member).
In all fairness, there is more then just the electronic compass that makes the 130 more then the 120 and the 110.

Also included is the Altimeter, the Weather Radio and 24 Megs of memory to dump maps into.

The 120 has only 8 megs for maps and no e-compass, altimeter or weather radio.

The 110 is incapable of uploading maps, only waypoints, routes and tracks.

But dollar for dollar, the RINO's are the best gps's on the market in my book. I hardly ever lose signal, and then only for seconds as long as I wear the gps pn my pack chest strap. It's simple to use with one hand, and has the most intuitive interface of any GPS I have ever known. Add into that the radio and the ability to find the location, bearing and distance to another Rino user and you have a great deal.

My 110 served me well for a couple of years, I just wanted to be able to upload topo's and have an electronic compass so the 130 was the correct upgrade for me.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #25
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

I love that "ability to find the location, bearing and distance to another Rino user". That's hot.

Anyways, aside from the stigma of being a Magellan user, I love my meridian. I bought it new on ebay for $120 w/ serial cable on ebay two years ago.... Takes an SD card for detail maps, I put 64 meg in, and I'm able to carry topos for NY from 90 north, all of VT & NH, and all of the street maps for new england (minus maine) and ny, nj & pa. It does great under heavy canopy assuming the GPS is hot on the signal, but... if you shut it off, it'll definitely take 10 minutes to relocate the signals in the canopy.

The main thing that's been a shortcoming for me, is that I really like to anotate my maps. Typing is horrific on it, and only allows really short waypoint descriptions. So I've been using Delorme Handheld and uploading topos to my PDA. That way I can scribble all over them, lines, boxes, notes. Also does a better job showing a larger map area than my GPSr.

When the day comes that I feel the need to upgrade it, and get one anymore expensive than this... I'm definitely getting an Otter Box, cause I've got the most buttery fingers, I'm bound to bust a more expensive one in a second
protocoldroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #26
Neil
Kayak-46

I created a route in TOPO! then uploaded it into my gps. Both the software and the gps are set to NAD 27. When I compare the same waypoints in the gps to the software there is a 30 meter discrepancy. If I switch to NAD 83 in the software the difference increases to 60 meters. I erased the gps and started afresh but the discrepancy persists. Why?
I used the Garmin interface in both the software and the gps when uploading.

Edit:
The easting seems to always be out by 36 meters (to low, or too far west) The northing is within 2 meters.
I fooled around with a few things but I always get this same discrepancy.

Last edited by Neil; 02-02-2005 at 05:39 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #27
redhawk

In the "Units" part of setup is the first choice ("Position Format") set for "UTM UPS"?

And do you mean NAD84?

The other thing to check is to make sure that both the GPS and the Topo software are set for True North or Magnetic North. You may have one at tru and one at magnetic which would make them out the difference in the magnetic declination which would explain the East/West variance
Old 02-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #28
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
In the "Units" part of setup is the first choice ("Position Format") set for "UTM UPS"?

Yes.

And do you mean NAD84?

NAD83/WGS84 in the software. (Now I'm using NAD27 CONUS in the gps)

The other thing to check is to make sure that both the GPS and the Topo software are set for True North or Magnetic North. You may have one at tru and one at magnetic which would make them out the difference in the magnetic declination which would explain the East/West variance

True north in both. (Preferences - Compass tool in the software)
I tried going from gps to software and got the same discrepancy. However the gps route looked OK on screen. Tomorrow I'll be mostly on a marked trail so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #29
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I tried going from gps to software and got the same discrepancy. However the gps route looked OK on screen. Tomorrow I'll be mostly on a marked trail so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Attach the .tpo file with the route to me in an email and ket me see what happens when I upload it to my gps.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #30
Neil
Kayak-46

I put it here just in case someone else wanted to check it out.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #31
redhawk

Must be something Neil. They loaded into the 130 Dead On, same co-ordianates and on the gps map you end dead nuts on the peak of marshall
Old 02-04-2005, 04:23 PM   #32
redhawk

Neil, you figure out what's wrong yet?
Old 02-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #33
Neil
Kayak-46

I havn't had time. However, the gps route, the tracklog and the trail to the summit all coincided perfectly. The easting UTM 's were all out by 36 meters in comparing their numbers on the computer vs. the gps. That means the gps fixes the same spot but uses another number, dosn't it?
I gotta get a clip, I kept losing signal under canopy and on the way out eventually shut the thing off so I don't have the entire tracklog.
I put brand new freshly charged NiMH rechargeables in it and it showed a slightly low battery right off the bat. It lasted all day however.
One anomaly, max speed shows 218 km/hour
It turns out both my home computers have serial ports! (I uploaded into the gps at work). Except when I try to up or download I get a message that the port (COM1) is already in use. I tried changing the port number in the software but to no avail.

Here's the .tpo file. Check the weird readings from track point 639 to the end.

Last edited by Neil; 02-04-2005 at 06:38 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #34
redhawk

Quote:
I havn't had time. However, the gps route, the tracklog and the trail to the summit all coincided perfectly. The easting UTM 's were all out by 36 meters in comparing their numbers on the computer vs. the gps. That means the gps fixes the same spot but uses another number, dosn't it?
I gotta get a clip, I kept losing signal under canopy and on the way out eventually shut the thing off so I don't have the entire tracklog.
I put brand new freshly charged NiMH rechargeables in it and it showed a slightly low battery right off the bat. It lasted all day however.
One anomaly, max speed shows 218 km/hour
It turns out both my home computers have serial ports! (I uploaded into the gps at work). Except when I try to up or download I get a message that the port (COM1) is already in use. I tried changing the port number in the software but to no avail.

Here's the .tpo file. Check the weird readings from track point 639 to the end.
You probably have 2 com ports then. Do you have an internal modem? If possible that is assigned com1.

As for the waypoint difference between gps and software, i suspect that someting on the RINO is not set right. Probably the "position Format" in the "Settings" - "Units"..from the Main Menu.

Look and see wat that is set to. It should be UTM UPS or CONUS and the Map Datum WGS 84. Then make sure your topo software is set for NAD83/WGS 84

There is no track point 639 on the .tpo you attached!
Old 02-19-2005, 08:22 AM   #35
Neil
Kayak-46

Rather than start a new thread I figured it would be better to keep all the info together... so,

I've got a new GPS question or three.

I have about 70 wp’s in my gps and want to delete numbers 001 to 050 inclusively. Can I select and delete just them, preserving the other 20. The 50 unwanted wp’s are not organized into a route. Or would I be better off deleting all the wp’s and re-loading the ones I want to keep? Three were entered into the unit while I was walking around Montreal (fave strip joints). Can I download then into the Topo! Software (in order to keep them for reloading) even if I don’t have the corresponding map?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #36
redhawk

Quote:
Rather than start a new thread I figured it would be better to keep all the info together... so,

I've got a new GPS question or three.

I have about 70 wp’s in my gps and want to delete numbers 001 to 050 inclusively. Can I select and delete just them, preserving the other 20. The 50 unwanted wp’s are not organized into a route. Or would I be better off deleting all the wp’s and re-loading the ones I want to keep? Three were entered into the unit while I was walking around Montreal (fave strip joints). Can I download then into the Topo! Software (in order to keep them for reloading) even if I don’t have the corresponding map?
Better off saving the waypoints into topo and deleting them m from te gps. Then you can selectively delete or save the ones yu want.

The ones in montral, I don't think you can save them into topo. Maybe I'm wrong. give it a shot then see if you load them back into the gps or save them into a text file.

Might make sense to download "easygps" database and use that for them also. It will allow you to upload/download waypoints to and from the Garmin.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:24 PM   #37
Neil
Kayak-46

The Montreal wp's downloaded into topo and showed up on the map up to Level 2. At level 3 and up you still see them and their UTM's but on a blank screen. You can see routes as well. I looked at the shareware (try before you buy) version of GPS utility and it looks rather daunting. I'll stick with Topo! as a wp manager for now.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #38
Grayelve
Carry On

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocoldroid View Post
Alright, this question got on my mind, and while I still don't know exactally what "course" means on the context of your GPSr Neil... I did go and ask the only friend I know who is literally a rocket scientist if he knew (he actually does fly too, has a license.your heading is the angle in degrees you're travelling, and bearing is the degrees from your destination...
protocoldroid: then what is course?
katoul: the direction you are actually travelling
katoul: in aircraft at least...
katoul: the heading is the direction the nose is pointing at
katoul: but if there is wind, your course along the ground is not aligned with the direction your nose is pointing
protocoldroid: ah ha :-)
If the nose and tail are not in line with the original coures, you are off coures and correcting or holding the course but flying at an angle. In the air bearing and your direction due to winds can be different.
My 00.02 about things to think about getting from here to there. Some boo coo air hours chopper and light craft, a crew chief/mechanic I knew then, we had a reunion about 15 years ago, and now are close friends. Every now and then we get together with a couple buddies (expenses) and fly out somewhere with a little tree topping for the feel and the view. Love it when Wally says, you got it Rusty. Well here is my take. On a map or in the field with a visual you set your B course target. All things start out the same course, direction, heading, and bearing with a line for each on top of the other. Enter the terrain or winds if flying. That swagger is the drift and a check of your set bearing will keep your direction and heading all in line but you are traveling parallel to the original course. If you can read the terrain pretty good from your map you can guestamate a course correction for air or your bearing adjustment in the terrain and that is your new heading and direction also. I think the terms that can be used just add fluff to things and move you away from the KISS approach. Thats my take. Did I say how much I love the way a GPS can do that?
Grayelve is offline   Reply With Quote