Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #21
timetohike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri View Post
Wow, all great feedback, thank you. Seems like the 60cx is the consensus, though etrex is tempting economically. I wish there was a demo day for gps like there is for skis at Whiteface. It would be fun to try them all.
If you go to a store that sells both models and say "I'm going to buy one of these from you but I want to try both of them to decide which I like better. Can I buy both now and return one in a week or two?" I bet most stores will say "yes, just keep the receipt."
Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
Mavs00
I am the sith

I just upgraded to the 60CSx. I was told I could get a GPS fix in my basement. They lied, I could only get one from my basement steps (and every other location IN MY HOUSE). No crap, minimum 4-5 satellites EVERYWHERE in my house. Took it outside for a local hike in a forested (winter canopy mind you), and I never went below 8-9 satellites (20 feet) the whole time.

I can't wait to take it to the ADK's.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #23
windsong781

Sheri,

I believe that EMS will rent a unit to you and if you choose to buy it they will knock the rental fee off of the retail price. I own the GarminMap 60CXs and my husband has the GarminMap 60CX. We haven't done a side to side comparison yet but I will let you know when we do. Hopefully sometime soon. Both models are highly recommended though. I compared the 76 and Rino series against the 60 series and decided that I liked the set up and screen size of the 60 series. The Garmin Rino is great too if you are with a group of people who are also using Rino's. I bought my 60CXs from Circuit City when they were running it for about $100.00 off their retail price.

I took my 8 year old grandson out this weekend to a local golfcourse and he had fun using the 60CX. It's relatively easy to understand, even for a kid.

Windsong
windsong781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #24
sheri

Thank you Windsong, I would be interested in your experience. I am in serious procrastination mode about this piece of equipment for some reason. But I have to start my project in April, so this is the last month I have to drag my feet. I promise I will stop going on and on about it in the forum soon, but I appreciate everyone's input. (I'll find something else to go on and on about... I'm sure.)
sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #25
windsong781

Sheri,

We'll try to get out this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes. Procrastination can be a good thing sometimes...it took me over a year to decide which model I wanted, but it allowed me to do exactly what you are doing and that is to get a good prospective from other users on a particular model before buying.

Windsong
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #26
sheri

Any luck Windsong?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #27
windsong781

Sheri,

My GPS seems to have taken a hike without me. I'm still looking for it. Had to reorg my storage area after the last heavy rain that we had (water came in through the roof), so it's probably around here somewhere. I know that this is time sensitive for you, so I'll do my best to find it and do a comparison.

Windsong
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #28
sheri

I borrowed a Magellan Meridian Gold this weekend and set up some way points on a hike today to test it out. It seemed fine, though I have read a review online that direct sunlight will cause permanent spotting on the screen, which seems a silly thing. I am still leaning toward the GPS Map 60...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #29
windsong781

Sheri

As I mentioned in my PM to you, there are some places on line that have the Garmin 60CSx for as little as $280.00. That is the least expensive that I have seen it, although when I bought mine, it was on sale at EMS and I also had a discount and maybe some bonus bucks to use. So I ended up paying about the same and that was back in January.

For those of you who also may be contemplating the purchase of a Garmin unit, I did the comparison of the 60CS against the 60CSx. Like everyone previously mentioned, the 60CSX is an exceptional unit.Where there was little foliage to speak of where I went, I ended up taking both units into a tower. The 60CS lost satelites altogether about half way up whereas the 60CSx maintained at least enough satelites to stay connected the entire way up and back down. At all times the 60CSx had almost twice as many satelites up as did the 60CS. That extra chip definately makes a huge difference. I can't wait to take it out under a heavy canopy of trees to see how it performs. I have no doubt that it will do great!

Windsong
Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #30
sheri

GPS Class anyone?

I ended up buying the Garmin Map60CSx. I have asked Lynn Malerba of Adk Connections if she would put together a class for we GPS newbies, which she is willing to do if I can get a few other folks interested in coming. Anybody interested? It sure would make the process less painful to have some instruction... well... for those of us who are gadget challenged.