Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #21
timetohike

Speaking of batteries and gps units...I'm watching survivorman. He gets "lost" because he left his gps on all night and the batteries ran down. He didn't have another set of battries. He then says "don't rely on technology for survival because technology will let you down" or some such nonsense.

The "technology" didn't let him down - his brain dead act of leaving it on all night and failing to take another set of batteries let him down. Blaming technology in that situation is the equivalent of blaming the camera for the all black photo when you forget to take off the lens cap.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #22
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetohike View Post
Speaking of batteries and gps units...I'm watching survivorman. He gets "lost" because he left his gps on all night and the batteries ran down. He didn't have another set of battries. He then says "don't rely on technology for survival because technology will let you down" or some such nonsense.

The "technology" didn't let him down - his brain dead act of leaving it on all night and failing to take another set of batteries let him down. Blaming technology in that situation is the equivalent of blaming the camera for the all black photo when you forget to take off the lens cap.
If you painted the scene instead of using a camera, you wouldn't have to worry about the lens cap and you won't have a black picture.

I know what you're saying and in this case it's right. But the point he's making is that you need to not rely on the technology. Batteries go bad, GPS's get lost, or break, etc so it's alway best to have maps & compass to fall back on.

I don't put a lot of stock in the survival shows, don't watch them in fact, but in this case I agree with his philosophy if not his verbiage.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #23
Glen
Check please

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post. The Garmin 60 sounds like it will work great for me.

Glen
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote