No announcement yet.

Camping at Pharoah Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago I helped cart & carry a 35lb canoe to Pharaoh Lake from Mill Brook...never again! Now-a-days I just bring a paddle, or the means to make a paddle, and search the woods near the lake. Sometimes you get lucky, and you'll find a canoe or boat right at the outlet, or at a lean-to. One important item to keep in your pack is an Ace Bandage, you know...in case of an emergency.

Comment

For those who are suggesting "just travel further to get firewood" as a solution to the issue... some food for thought:

One of the factors that is used in evaluating how impacted a site has become is the number of social trails that exist emanating from a site, and how far they stretch into the surrounding forest. A primary cause in the formation of these trails, obviously, is groups searching for firewood. The more social trails there are (and the longer they are), the more impacted a site is considered to be, and the more likely it may be considered for closure or rehabilitation.

Given that downed woody debris plays several important roles in ecologic systems (including both habitat and nutrient cycling), removal of all woody debris over a wide area can definitely be seen as "trammeling" the natural processes within that area. The idea that fires can cause high impacts even without tree cutting is definitely an important one in wilderness management.

Now, of course, I'm not saying that you should always restrict your firewood collecting to the immediate vicinity of any/every campsite you occupy. But for the sites that are already highly impacted, the idea of "just traveling further to get firewood" may be akin to using a band-aid to fix a bullet wound (and may even actually still be making things worse).

I think that a large part of the difficulties inherent in minimizing fire impacts on Pharaoh Lake is that Pharaoh Lake itself is the destination. Overnight groups go there to be on the lake (and who can blame them- it is a beautiful lake ). Pharaoh Mountain is the only nearby destination that is likely to draw people out of their campsites for an extended period of time, and many overnight groups camped on the lake don't actually climb the mountain while they are there. The result of this is that in many of the sites, you've got a roaring campfire going during all waking hours, from the moment a group shows up on Friday afternoon to the moment they leave on Sunday afternoon... weekend after weekend, after weekend, after weekend, throughout the whole summer and well into early fall. (And again year after year, after year, after year...)

(Contrast this with an area like the High Peaks, where most overnight groups leave camp during the day to summit one or more peaks.)

Comment

Thank you. Well said. 'd like to add one small point, however: this happens at more places, not just Pharaoh. Pharaoh just gets more use than most places, except the High Peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
          For those who are suggesting "just travel further to get firewood" as a solution to the issue... some food for thought:
          I get it, and that's not what I'm suggesting. Just wanted to point out that the north end is not as heavily impacted as the other end, which has already been mentioned, yet the lazy and uneducated apparently still take it upon themselves to cut down live trees and branches, when all they had to do was walk 5 minutes away. Herd paths, scarce firewood, over-use, and abuse in general near lean-tos anywhere in the Adks is not uncommon at all. Perhaps if the road was closed, and/or a campfire ban was implemented it would help curb some of these on going negative impacts at Pharaoh Lake. If not, I don't see much change there in the near future, but many thanks to you D for all that you do for the area.

Good luck to Pikehunter 7. I too have loved Pharaoh Lake for a long time, but now I only visit during the slow seasons. Didn't see another soul when I was there a couple weekends ago.
          Last edited by Justin; 11-22-2014, 10:14 PM. Reason: I'm horrible at typing, it's not my strong suit, please forgive me.

Comment

The nice thing about solving this problem is it doesn't require us to do anything. We just need to stop doing something. Nature will take care of the wounds we've left behind.
            Carrying a stove is actually less work than gathering and processing firewood. If we truly care about the ADKs then we need to step back and look at what "I am doing" , not just what other people are doing, and just because its still legal doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Be a good steward of the land we love, its our watch.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post
              ...Be a good steward of the land we love, its our watch.
              Agreed, but just because someone enjoys gathering firewood and cooking over a campfire does not make them a bad steward of the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                Agreed, but just because someone enjoys gathering firewood and cooking over a campfire does not make them a bad steward of the land.
                That depends on how much food you're cooking.

You know, it is possible to be a good steward in one aspect, and a not so good steward in another.

Comment

That depends on how much food you're cooking.

You know, it is possible to be a good steward in one aspect, and a not so good steward in another.
                  Look, I usually camp solo for only one night, and have a small campfire in the evening and in the morning on most occasions, and I enjoy cooking over fire, much more so than heating up Ramen Noodles, oatmeal, and dehydrated meals on a backpacking stove. Tired of being a villain because of it. If you want to beat me up over it that's fine. I apologize for trying to be helpful and friendly to Pikehunter 7's post. My point is only that I believe it is possible to enjoy a campfire, and be responsible about it. Others may disagree, and that's fine with me. Thanks.
                  Last edited by Justin; 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM. Reason: Sorry for trying to be helpful and friendly to the OP

Comment

Sorry Justin, didn't mean to upset you. Just trying to have a discussion about the source of the problem and maybe adjusting the way we do things to possibly help places like Pharoah Lake from becoming like a state park, that unnatural,overused, cleaned out look.

Comment

Sorry Justin, didn't mean to upset you. Just trying to have a discussion about the source of the problem and maybe adjusting the way we do things to possibly help places like Pharoah Lake from becoming like a state park, that unnatural,overused, cleaned out look.
                      Thanks Eric, I'd definitely be all for closing the road, and removing all 6 lean-tos to make Pharaoh Lake a more natural setting within the Adirondack State Park. I'd bet that would cut down on the popularity a bit, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Wouldn't closing the road be unfair to everyone who goes there and doesn't contribute to the problems?
                        There are certainly older folks, handicap people, wounded Vets, ect who like the access and have been going there for a long time.
                        Wouldn't addressing the issue through educating the camper be a good solution or at least a step in the right direction,surely everyone can understand this, its not rocket science.
                        Maybe this way we wouldn't need more regulations and costs of enforcement.

Comment

Wouldn't closing the road be unfair to everyone who goes there and doesn't contribute to the problems?
                          There are certainly older folks, handicap people, wounded Vets, ect who like the access and have been going there for a long time.
                          Wouldn't addressing the issue through educating the camper be a good solution or at least a step in the right direction,surely everyone can understand this, its not rocket science.
                          Maybe this way we wouldn't need more regulations and costs of enforcement.
                          You'd have to ask them, Eric.
                          I do visit the area quite often, and I've had several conversations with folks like you mention, that are also long time visitors of Pharaoh Lake and beyond. How about you?

Comment

The DEC has made an increased effort in providing education in the area in recent years. They've also implemented some re-vegetation projects on the lake, with varying levels of success (there have been issues with groups ripping planted trees out of the ground).

Comment

Justin, do you carry a folding saw to cut that wood?

To sort of continue the conversation and satisfy my own curiosity... I've considered picking up a folding saw for backpacking trips. I see a lot of D&D wood about the diameter of that in Justin's photo... just a bit too big to break by hand (even with the between-two-trees lever method, which I'm not a huge fan of anyway). We have some folks here who know a lot about forestry and impacts, so I'm wondering what the consensus is on cutting? I mean, assuming a fire will exist; I realize no fire is the least impact on local resources.

Comment

I haven't had a fire in nearly 20 years. I don't want one and I don't miss one. I don't want to go looking for wood. I don't want to smell the smoke and most of all, I want to leave as little impact as possible. I can cook whatever food I want on my stove with the exception of hot dogs over the coals and smores; but those will kill you anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X