Camping at Pharoah Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pauly D. View Post
    I think they put in a bigger parking area this year too.
    We test drove the new parking lot back in September. It's nice. Lets hope they plow it out this winter.

Tick Magnet

Comment

sadly I have crossed Pharoah Lake off my list of future trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson View Post
        sadly I have crossed Pharoah Lake off my list of future trips.
        Winter? Or do they allow snowmobiles?

Comment

Pharaoh Lake is a beautiful & special place...summer & winter!
          Please help keep it that way!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
            Winter? Or do they allow snowmobiles?
            The No Motorized Vehicles rule in the Wilderness area includes snowmobiles.

Comment

Not trying to be a wise guy here but check current regs on whether snowmobiles are considered "motorized vehicles" or not. Years ago I met up with some snowmobilers on a local XC ski trail and asked why, in spite of the "No Motor Vehicles" sign at the trailhead, did they continue to ride their sleds on the trail? The one person I spoke too was very polite and he said he understood my question but to the best of his knowledge, at least at that time, snowmobiles were not considered vehicles because they operated via tracks; not wheels. He suggested I call the local DEC office to get confirmation on that; which I did. Incredibly, the person I spoke with in the regional DEC office said the operator of the snowmobile was correct.

Now, I don't know if both parties were pulling my leg or the laws have been changed but it might be worth looking into. I don't drive/ride them so I really don't know much about the current rules & regs that oversee their operation. At this point I just do my best to stay away from any location where they might be operated when I'm skiing or snowshoeing.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Comment

That would be something if snowmobiling would be exempt in a wilderness area. Drones are not exempt.
                According to the Adirondack Explorer, a Canadian Hiker has pleaded guilty to flying a drone in the High Peaks Wilderness in...

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  Not trying to be a wise guy here but check current regs on whether snowmobiles are considered "motorized vehicles" or not. Years ago I met up with some snowmobilers on a local XC ski trail and asked why, in spite of the "No Motor Vehicles" sign at the trailhead, did they continue to ride their sleds on the trail? The one person I spoke too was very polite and he said he understood my question but to the best of his knowledge, at least at that time, snowmobiles were not considered vehicles because they operated via tracks; not wheels. He suggested I call the local DEC office to get confirmation on that; which I did. Incredibly, the person I spoke with in the regional DEC office said the operator of the snowmobile was correct.
                  Was this on Pharaoh Road or someplace else?

Comment

Regarding snowmobile use on State Land within the Forest Preserve...
                    https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document...

And besides, I would think anything that by law needs to be registered at the Department of Motor Vehicles would indeed be considered a "motor vehicle".
                    Last edited by Justin; 11-13-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                      Was this on Pharaoh Road or someplace else?
                      Probably not Pharoah, Snapper lives near Cooperstown.

Comment

Originally posted by electbc View Post
                        Probably not Pharoah, Snapper lives near Cooperstown.
                        Ok thanks.
                        Just in case there's any confusion, snowmobiles are not allowed in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, or any designated Wilderness Area for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                          Regarding snowmobile use on State Land within the Forest Preserve...
                          https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document...

And besides, I would think anything that by law needs to be registered at the Department of Motor Vehicles would indeed be considered a "motor vehicle".
                          Nope Just re-registered my trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by aft paddle View Post
                            Nope Just re-registered my trailer.
                            Ha...so did I.

Comment

Justin - Sorry...just getting back after being away for a bit. Yes, this happened on state forest land in Otsego County; the Milford State Forest to be exact. I've not looked deeply into the regulations and didn't think about the "wilderness" designation being different so that might be the issue at play here; state forest is not wilderness after all.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Ok thanks Snap, that makes much more sense than a snowmobile is technically not considered a motorized vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X