Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
sully1763

Anyone pick up the new Garmin?

Has anyone used/seen/have any experience with the new Garmin Colorado GPS unit? I'm not really in the market but saw an ad in an REI E-mail and it looked interesting.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Checked it out. The Price is prohibitive. Only feature that makes it better then any of the others is that it can track 10,000 points.

The RINO can pass waypoints and data to other Rinos and that's $300 cheaper then the Colorado and the Rino also has built in weather radio and 2 way radio.

The Colorado has an "Image Viewer" guess they're trying to compete with ipods and phones. The ability to view pictures in the back country I'm sure is a hot feature.

If they really wanted something halfway practical, how about a camera that records the waypoint where the picture was shot and the direction the unit was facing. That I could understand.

Let's see, they offer 3D viewing but you have to use data that has that capability which I'm sure Garmin charges a premium for.

And now there's an Ipod like spin wheel for navigating, which may be a benefit, but I do fine with the thumb-stick on my RINO.

This is a whoop-de-do unit with a lot of features that are unneeded.

They don't list what chip they have in it so I don't know if it's the new one that works well in deep cover.

In short, it's not anything I would buy. There are much better units at a much cheaper price.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Last edited by redhawk; 03-18-2008 at 09:26 AM..
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
forgedin78

Not really anything to do with the Colorado, but I would like to see the option of putting aerial photographs on my Garmin. Other than that, I cant ask for anything more out of my unit.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
Not really anything to do with the Colorado, but I would like to see the option of putting aerial photographs on my Garmin. Other than that, I cant ask for anything more out of my unit.
I'm not 100% sure, but i think one of the new model Magellan's MAY have that as an option. I know they have a unit(s?) that now allows you to load in NG State series topographic maps.

Hopefully Garmin will follow suit, but I'm afraid they won't since they don't really get any pressure from Magellan sales and they make so much on their proprietary maps.

Anyway, I'm trying to get more information on that. Magellan has a sucky website as far as being able to find information or contact them.

I'm also trying to convince Garmin that they need to allow for either NY or Terrain Navigator maps to be uploaded. However, it doesn't seem to cut it with them how good a customer you are or even how many units you have helped them sell. That's their downside.

If I find out more, I'll post it.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
XCTiger

Quote:
I've had a Delorme PN-20 for the last year and it permits download of aerial images, and scanned topographic maps along with the regular Topo USA maps. At first I thought that the aerial imagery would be a waste, but after trying out some, It really is neat. Sucks up lots of memory though, so you need a big collect of SD cards.
XCTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCTiger View Post
I've had a Delorme PN-20 for the last year and it permits download of aerial images, and scanned topographic maps along with the regular Topo USA maps. At first I thought that the aerial imagery would be a waste, but after trying out some, It really is neat. Sucks up lots of memory though, so you need a big collect of SD cards.
XC

Unless they have changed their basemaps, I'm not crazy about DeLormes Topo's, nor their accuracy. I think they were getting there topo from the same source as garmin because about three years ago both DeLorme and Garmin were 6 miles off on the location of raquette falls, among other things.

I submitted the error to them, along with the correct co-ordinates but never heard a thing or saw a change. I haven't seen their topo's in about 3 years so i don't know it they were corrected. PM the UTM co-ordinates for Raquette, the upper and lower falls and I'll see if they are accurate.

Hawk
Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
forgedin78

I agree that Garmin's topo maps leave a lot to be desired, but I have the 24k national parks east series for the adks, and that seems to have more than enough detail for me. Where I live however is just outside that coverage, so I have to use the less detailed version around here. I have also borrowed a Garmin Astro unit for tracking dogs, and that is very promising for my hunting needs,------once they figure out how to get a better signal between the dog collar and the handheld unit. That is what I would really like to have the photos for, It would tell me what field or fenceline my dog is in. But like you said trying to tell them how to improve their product is not easy.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
I agree that Garmin's topo maps leave a lot to be desired, but I have the 24k national parks east series for the adks, and that seems to have more than enough detail for me. Where I live however is just outside that coverage, so I have to use the less detailed version around here. I have also borrowed a Garmin Astro unit for tracking dogs, and that is very promising for my hunting needs,------once they figure out how to get a better signal between the dog collar and the handheld unit. That is what I would really like to have the photos for, It would tell me what field or fenceline my dog is in. But like you said trying to tell them how to improve their product is not easy.
I have the 24K Nat Parks east as well, and that is good mapping software. Unfortunately I go a lot of places that it doesn't cover. I'm not so concerned with the detail (lack of) of the mapsource topo software, but I am concerned with the accuracy. For a landmark like Raquette falls to be 6.3 miles off makes me nervous about relying on the software to set routes and waypoints. Fortunately I can do in the NG software and upload the data to the Garmin.

And it is a shame about Garmin's attitude towards suggestions and sometimes even their support. I asked a question about the radio in the Rino and the reply i got was that they were "map people, not radio people". I forwarded a copy of that email to Garmin's executive offices and told them that it was pretty apparent that was the case. I received an apology and an answer.

But they're still way ahead of Magellan, Lorain and the rest so i guess there is a sense of arrogance. It would be nice if Magellan could start to capture a bigger share of the market, especially with the ability to load non-proprietary maps. it might take Garmin down a peg or two and make them more receptive.

I love their units, but not their policies.

Hawk
Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
If they really wanted something halfway practical, how about a camera that records the waypoint where thepicture was shot and the direction the unit was facing. hat i could understand.
From a tech/business oriented journal:
Intelligent Integration of GPS in Digital Cameras Arrives
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
redhawk

Quote:
If they really wanted something halfway practical, how about a camera that records the waypoint where the picture was shot and the direction the unit was facing. That I could understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
From a tech/business oriented journal:
Intelligent Integration of GPS in Digital Cameras Arrives
Hmm! Different perspective, putting the GPS IN the digital camera and I can see how that would force some trade-offs with battery life vs time to acquire the satellites, etc.

With the GPS it's the opposite. As a rule, you have the receiver turned on so it's a matter of incorporating the camera into the GPS and then writing an algorithm to synchronize the co-ordinates and direction with the photo file.

Might add a little physical size and weight to the unit.

Hawk
Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
sully1763

Quote:
Hawk
Speaking of practical combinations of technology, why hasn't a company combined a GPS like the RINO (which seems to be the sweetheart of the forum) and a Personal Locater like the SPOT device described in another thread, that allows users to transmit a OK or a HELP siginal to loved ones or first responders? they seem like a logical combination.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1763 View Post
Speaking of practical combinations of technology, why hasn't a company combined a GPS like the RINO (which seems to be the sweetheart of the forum) and a Personal Locater like the SPOT device described in another thread, that allows users to transmit a OK or a HELP siginal to loved ones or first responders? they seem like a logical combination.
I believe that i stated somewhere that i thought tohe locator chip would be the best technology to include in a gps.

I agree 100%

Hawk
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1763 View Post
There's a new marathon canoe race on the 2009 horizon. The Yukon 1000, a separate race, will extend the current Yukon River Quest's mere 460 miles under different rules. The YRQ provides a large number of safety boats along the course. The Y1000 will have none of that, but does require use of a SPOT locator device, and teams must check in with the race committee periodically, at least twice daily or be disqualified. Anyone up for a wilderness paddle?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
wiiawiwb

Quote:
I am looking at buy a Garmin, the 60csx or Rino 530HCX, but am confused about the mapping software issue. I do not want any software for use with my computer, just the handheld.

Can the 24K National Parks East be loaded and appear on either of the Garmins above?

Sorry for my ignorance about this but I am totally confused at this point.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
I am looking at buy a Garmin, the 60csx or Rino 530HCX, but am confused about the mapping software issue. I do not want any software for use with my computer, just the handheld.

Can the 24K National Parks East be loaded and appear on either of the Garmins above?

Sorry for my ignorance about this but I am totally confused at this point.
Should load on both, but you need to put them on the computer to do it.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
wiiawiwb

Thanks Hawk.

I noticed that WalMart has the Rino 530 on sale for $345 and starting on Friday EMS will have the 60csx for $280 with their 3-day sale. Not bad prices.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #17

A question regarding the Rino. I see that it will locate other rino users. Do they have to be manualy added to be recognized , or , does it pick up any user in the area ?

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
A question regarding the Rino. I see that it will locate other rino users. Do they have to be manualy added to be recognized , or , does it pick up any user in the area ?
Any user that keys the radio mike gets added automatically. It will also keep a track of them. You can disable the function so you won't be recorded on other units.

You can also sent waypoints in your unit to others if you want.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Any user that keys the radio mike gets added automatically. It will also keep a track of them. You can disable the function so you won't be recorded on other units.

You can also sent waypoints in your unit to others if you want.
Thanks Hawk , and you even answered my next question

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Thanks Hawk , and you even answered my next question
Too bad you couldn't get down here sometime this weekend. there will be three or four of us with Rino `130's and we could give you a demo.

hawk