Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
madison

Moose River Plains

Hey All,

I'm thinking of heading up to the Moose River Plains for a quick 1 or 2 night camping trip sometime in the couple of weeks. I'd like to camp near Helldiver Pond and maybe try to catch a glimpse of the moose that I've heard is a frequent visitor there. My lone ADK moose sighting was near there in the summer of 2004 at Beaver Lake, another hike I'd like to do again.

A few years ago there were some stories on this forum about strange occurances in the MRP- hauntings, unexplained voices, and what sounded like harrassment from people. I'm not worried about the spirit stuff- on that score I am a skeptical realist. But some of the other stories concern me. In particular I'm thinking of an experience described by a forum member a few years ago- he described rocks and sticks being thrown at his tent, people running through his site all night long, thumping and making noises and just general harrassment. I've heard some stories about so-called hermits living in or near the MRP who have harrassed campers. I vaguely remember something about a runner on one of the roads being attacked.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced anything like this? Like I said, stories about so-called hauntings or spirits don't bother me, but harrassment by humans is another matter entirely. I'd like to be as informed as possible. BTW, I always camp with my dog, although she is bit of a baby and won't be much protection. I do own guns, but don't usually bring them camping and would rather not put myself in a position to have to use it.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Buckladd

Ah, the good old Bigfoot in the Adirondacks post....

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=4067
Old 09-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
darnedsox

We camped at Helldiver 3yrs ago about this time. No moose sighting, but great paddling-especially early. No hauntings. There is a large pit camp across the road a way. Large noise and gunfire until late. Somewhat unsettling. Many sites were roped off-I guess to reserve.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
trouthunter

I've camped all over the MRP for several years now without incident...at all.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
madison

To be clear, I'm not worried about hauntings or bigfoot or aliens or anything like that. I find those stories interesting but I'm a skeptic when it comes to the supernatural or otherworldly or whatever.

What I am slightly concerned about is unwanted visits by creatures of the human variety. I'm wondering if anyone has had any aggressive or harassing encounters with their fellow humans.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
madison

Also about the roping off of sites to reserve- This is not legal, right? I'm going mid-week in late september so I'm not really worried about that, but is that common in the MRP?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Buckladd

You never know when, where or who you will run into anywhere.

Keep in mind that the early bear season opens Sept. 16 and MSRP is popular with bear hunters.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
EagleCrag

I also believe that after a certain date, parties can reserve a campsite for a long time. I believe this is to benefit hunters who often leave trailers or tents set up for weeks. Don't know if that may be why the sites were roped off or not.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
Grey-Jay

Since I have spent much time there recently and have knowledge of the moose, I'll offer this:

- 3 weeks ago, there was a nuisance bear warning sign at the beginning of the Helldiver Pond spur road. It seems a bear had been visiting campsites on the road and beyond. Since then, I do not know if the bear was dealt with by the DEC or moved on. Using a bear canister is smart there.

Moose - I would not get any hopes up of seeing the famous Helldiver Pond moose this time of year. Moose typically feed on aquatic vegetation from May through July but then the vegetation becomes rather rancid and they no longer feed at ponds much. The Helldiver Pond moose only visited the pond to feed, not hang out along the shore. Moose typically stay in the woods in August and occasionally visit water in Sept-Oct but predominantly eat upland fauna such as maple leaves, twigs, etc. The Helldiver moose has not been seen since July and is usually never seen this time of year in all the years it has been a May-July guest. However, with the moose rut starting the end of September you stand a chance of seeing any wandering bull anywhere in the Plains or Adirondacks overall. I think the Beaver Lake trail is still a possible location to see one.The Helldiver bull is now an estimated 12 years old so not sure what his rut behavior is. I don't think you will see him at the pond now unless you luck out.

People - my camping experiences noted more annoying loud sounds vs. odd behavior. On each camping trip no matter when, I have often heard fired guns, loud radios, and fireworks. Probably true of any vehicle camping area, there is more such activity. Campsites in the Plains are spread out enough to find something far away from other campers however. Do keep in mind bear season which makes things more lively. My sense is the campsites in the eastern end closer to the Flow are much less used than those near the Beaver Lake trailhead. If it were me, I would camp well east of the Helldiver spur and then visit the Plains via driving. I would absolutely avoid the camping area around the road to Rock Dam, Lost Ponds sites, and the spur road to Squaw Lake this time of year after the 15th. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 09-05-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
To be clear, I'm not worried about hauntings or bigfoot or aliens or anything like that. I find those stories interesting but I'm a skeptic when it comes to the supernatural or otherworldly or whatever.

What I am slightly concerned about is unwanted visits by creatures of the human variety. I'm wondering if anyone has had any aggressive or harassing encounters with their fellow humans.
You're worrying too much. Most of the campsites are isolated with one another, the main exception being the 2-3 campsites congregated around Wakely Dam. There might be some bear hunters out with the start of the early season, but I've never seen that area filled even during hunting season...the bear and deer density is relatively low there and many of the campsites remain empty throughout the season.

If you encounter some rowdy or troublesome campers invading your campsite, keep a civil tone and ask them to leave. If they continue to cause problems, contact the local Ranger. I've been in that area quite a bit, and I've not once had a problem with anyone in there.

Go have fun.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote