Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Current and Historical Affairs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #41
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
How they all hiked to the same summit on the same day isn't explained nor why a "small group" would carry a beer keg. You'd bring a keg for big group, except no one knew it would become a big group, right? It just turned out that way.
Judge to a keg party participant: So, why did you hike to the top of Phelps?

Keg party participant: It was like this your honor, I was on my way to Marcy but then I heard there was free beer on Phelps. How was I supposed to know there were already 15 more hikers there?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #42
jan

The guy was the mountain version of the Pied Piper. He started up the mountain alone, except for his keg, and the other 14 people just followed. Followed the keg, that is, not him.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #43
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
At least they kept their clothes on , for now.
I have mixed feelings about all of this, and show this as an example...

On a similar page as Aspiring 46rs Facebook group, this picture was posted recently...one of the women was about to undergo a double mastectomy for breast cancer, and the picture was widely celebrated. But...given current society's compulsive need to be constantly offended, I'm sure someone on the summit was offended by this. How does one draw the line on appropriate behavior when everything you do offends someone today?

12108764_460660454118735_8263096779460433941_n.jpg

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #44
backwoodsman

Winter Warlock, I was thinking more in lines with the attitude of say college spring breakers. Honestly I don't know what to make of today's society, we seem to be attention seekers, I miss what are now the old days and the people I knew then. I think alot of people do.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #45
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Winter Warlock, I was thinking more in lines with the attitude of say college spring breakers. Honestly I don't know what to make of today's society, we seem to be attention seekers, I miss what are now the old days and the people I knew then. I think alot of people do.
I think Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc have turned many of us (and I'm guilty myself at times) into complete narcissists. But at the same time, it's also turned many into those who are easily offended by every little thing that doesn't fit their own paradigm.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #46
Holdstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
was there ONE PERSON who was ACTUALLY THERE who was offended by these guys having fun? Of course there's an internet full of people who are perpetually offended...yawn.
This is a nice strawman.

Those who object to what took place are not offended that people were having fun. But I get that framing it in such a way allows us to make some bigger statement about the internet and society and how sensitive everyone has become.

Last edited by Holdstrong; 10-15-2015 at 10:53 AM..
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #47
Holdstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
I have mixed feelings about all of this, and show this as an example...

On a similar page as Aspiring 46rs Facebook group, this picture was posted recently...one of the women was about to undergo a double mastectomy for breast cancer, and the picture was widely celebrated. But...given current society's compulsive need to be constantly offended, I'm sure someone on the summit was offended by this. How does one draw the line on appropriate behavior when everything you do offends someone today?

Attachment 17085
I see no comparison between 4 women quietly posing for a photo.... and 15+ people engaging in a frat style keg party.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #48
rdl

Quote:
I see no comparison between 4 women quietly posing for a photo.... and 15+ people engaging in a frat style keg party.
Pictures can be awfully deceiving. You don't know if there were 15+ friends and supporters on the mountain cheering on the women in the picture. It's easy to judge without knowing all the facts, even easier with the anonymity of the internet...
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #49
Loopin for the Lama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd View Post
i like "becca"'s comment on the article.

I read the aricle, all the comments, and this thread. Someone please tell me if i missed it...was there one person who was actually there who was offended by these guys having fun? Of course there's an internet full of people who are perpetually offended...yawn.

For god's sake, lighten up and have some fun. Or we might as well all just move to nj, and declare the adks a "true wilderness" where no one is allowed to go at all (as has been discussed before in this forum).
+100
Old 10-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #50
WinterWarlock

Keg party on Phelps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong View Post

My point is that there will always be someone offended by whatever you do...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #51
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
My point is that there will always be someone offended by whatever you do...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe that's the fundamental theorem of politics.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #52
Harvey44

Quote:
we might as well all just move to NJ
What is the significance of living in or moving to New Jersey?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #53
crepuscular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Agreed!

Of interest is one of my FB friends and ADKHP member who posted that he got booted from the Aspiring 46ers FB group for reminding people to respect group size and not to take glass containers.
I was that guy. I had a knee jerk reaction to what I considered a steady stream of pictures in "aspiring" of clear DEC rule violations and had to come in and wag my finger. I can't help it. I love the peaks so so so much and find nearly every rule they've made is reasonable and to address problems they've faced in the past.

I get that I was being a bit of a stick in the mud (and certainly judgmental in a way that would do little to educate my audience which was a mistake) as I have here on these forums (especially when it comes to snow shoes ) but was deeply shocked when I was booted from the group. I never attacked anyone or behaved uncivilly.

After the fact I was invited to join a splinter Facebook group. I was soon PMed by a group member who had this to say: "Perhaps you could let us have a group without you. You caused much harm. This page was created because of your judgmental behavior. Please walk away and let us be. Thank you."

So yeah, I'm going to move forward in my social media life and stay out of Facebook 46er groups and stick to the forums here. I feel like a good back and forth here is welcome as long as it's civil.
crepuscular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #54
Trail Boss

@crepuscular

I have no idea why you ever left to sit at the children's table but welcome back! Pull up a stump and have a beer. We'll throw another log on the fire for 'ya. Enjoy!

Beer served in aluminum can and empties will be packed out.
Fire built outside of Eastern High Peaks zone using wood harvested within 50 miles.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #55
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
What is the significance of living in or moving to New Jersey?
Just a randomly selected urbanized area far from the Adirondacks.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:57 AM   #56
Makwa

I bet he wishes he followed his own advice...

Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #57
Hobbitling
spring fever

I have no problem with the keg itself. If anything, its better than cans, which are more likely to be left as litter. Kegs have a deposit, so its likely to be packed out.
And I have no problem with having a quiet drink to celebrate. I'm not sure I'd want to be buzzed on the way down a mountain, but hey, its their choice.

I do have a problem with ruining the peaceful view from the top of a mountain for all the other people. I've had times where I could hear a rowdy group from half an hour below the summit, and they weren't even drinking. Just loud and obnoxious.

But hey, I wasn't there. Maybe this was the first quiet keg party in the history of keg parties.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #58
Neil
Kayak-46

Great quote!
...not so the world can see you.

YOU tube
I phone
MY space

"I am special". I guess if everyone is special then no one is. But when it gets implied that we all deserve special treatment and that rules and ethics are for others then our (democratic, law-abiding) social order loses its "specialness".

But this incident of re-defining Forever Wild is more about a loss of the appreciation of wilderness (which really is special) than whether there were 14 or 15 people in that group. Or, why the defenders keep insisting that no litter was left behind. (No one AFAIK was charged with littering so why keep deflecting the discussion?)
Old 10-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #59
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
...was there ONE PERSON who was ACTUALLY THERE who was offended by these guys having fun?
Hypothetically speaking. The summit is not at the ledge where the keg was placed. If someone was offended by the party they wouldn't have to go to the ledge. They may just turn around and leave. Therefore anyone saying none were offended would never know. Just pointing out that your basic premise is a hollow shell. EMPTY.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #60
pigpen

yeah that happened... i think those bitching about it are jealous. Alot of yuppie white privlige goin on round these parts...
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote