Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who dies?
Noseeums 1 1.43%
Black Flies 14 20.00%
Deer Flies 9 12.86%
Ticks 39 55.71%
Mosquitoes 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #21
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
So tell me, please, what important role did ticks play in the Adirondacks 20 and more years ago, before any existed here? What role do they play now?
Every unpleasant critter (in our eyes) has a place in the environment.
We are very quick to want to eliminate the ones that are displeasing to us.
After all, we are the center of the universe.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #22
Banjoe

Gotta put a vote in for drunks who make their presence known to all around and then leave their garbage behind. After that, probably deer flies.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #23
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
They may all have a "place" but that doesn't mean they all co-exist in harmony. They're all driven by the need to survive and reproduce (which is just another form of survival but at a species level). This is true for the smallest (virus) to largest organisms (mammals).

The bacteria that causes Lyme Disease in humans is just looking for good hosts in which to survive and reproduce. Ticks happen to be the carriers (vector) for the bacteria. Kind of like the bacteria which caused Bubonic Plague and was carried by the fleas infesting the rats that lived among humans. Avoiding exposure to the carrier is one way to ensure your survival. Or eliminating the carrier. Or developing an antibiotic to eliminate the bacteria once we're infected.

It's not that we're the center of the universe, just the top of the food chain (it took modern humans about 200 millennia to get here). Our evolved brains have allowed us to become very, very good at surviving. We can eliminate all kinds of threats to our survival, even reshape our environment to ensure it.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #24
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
They may all have a "place" but that doesn't mean they all co-exist in harmony. They're all driven by the need to survive and reproduce (which is just another form of survival but at a species level). This is true for the smallest (virus) to largest organisms (mammals).

The bacteria that causes Lyme Disease in humans is just looking for good hosts in which to survive and reproduce. Ticks happen to be the carriers (vector) for the bacteria. Kind of like the bacteria which caused Bubonic Plague and was carried by the fleas infesting the rats that lived among humans. Avoiding exposure to the carrier is one way to ensure your survival. Or eliminating the carrier. Or developing an antibiotic to eliminate the bacteria once we're infected.

It's not that we're the center of the universe, just the top of the food chain (it took modern humans about 200 millennia to get here). Our evolved brains have allowed us to become very, very good at surviving. We can eliminate all kinds of threats to our survival, even reshape our environment to ensure it.
It's the reshaping of our environment that troubles me.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #25
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

If the question is "who?", shouldn't it be a choice between litterbugs, TP flowers sowers, ect?
If the question is "what?" then the answer would be whatever lands on me.

Frankly, the 'manure' / house flies are a lot worse than the biting insects. While the biting pests are annoying, the the flies that breed and feed on excrement also spread all sorts of microbes and are far more numerous than ticks (which are also nasty).
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 PM   #26
Wldrns

Quote:
You made the original "all have an important role" statement, but you did not answer my question.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
Banjoe

Is it too late to add Hemlock Woolly Adelgid to the list? Saw the announcement from the DEC last week and was disheartened. It's been in our area for at least ten years and in some locations has made huge impacts, mainly along Cayuga Lake, but in the forest near where I live just a few miles away it has come and gone depending on the weather and not had much impact. Farther south, PA and beyond, it's been devastating.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #28
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
Is it too late to add Hemlock Woolly Adelgid to the list? Saw the announcement from the DEC last week and was disheartened.
I saw that too. I took the Wooly Adelgid identification information and identification class a couple of years ago, but did not find any evidence of infestation in my assigned areas in and near the western Adirondacks. I wonder if we will now get a post here that says we should just let them exist in harmony as they perform their important environmental role.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #29
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
You made the original "all have an important role" statement, but you did not answer my question.
i was trying to say that we humans are the intruder.
Everything was going along fine before us.
Enjoy the environment that we were given.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #30
Wldrns

Quote:
Everything was going along fine before us.
define "going along fine" please. How do you know that everything was fine? My question to you was, from your original statement, what is the important role of ticks in the adirondacks before they arrived here. and now? I'd say everything was going along fine before they arrived in the area where I live and travel. Do you think humans bring them here?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #31
rbi99

Of the 3,500 different mosquito species, less than 200 annoy or bite humans. Therefore I will proclaim hence forth that the 3,300 other mosquito species may live in peace and harmony with their fellow man. The other 200 are history. That seems like a fair compromise if you ask me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosquito.jpg (39.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #32
Terasec

Quote:
So tell me, please, what important role did ticks play in the Adirondacks 20 and more years ago, before any existed here? What role do they play now?
ticks always existed in the adirondacks
what we have learned about tick diseases have grown recently
i was aware of ticks in the adk going back to the 70's/80's back then they were just a nuisance and we werent aware of the health risks

as for role of ticks
1 they are food source for other animals
2 they contribute to maintaining carrying capacity in areas,
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #33
rbi99

I never intended for this to actually become a debate about how important any of these buggers are or aren't. That's why I said putting the environment aside, which would you most like to see disappear. Since ticks are obviously going to win this thing, I guess we can now get all serious about which of the above is most beneficial to our Adirondacks - or which present the greatest threat to us humans!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #34
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
ticks always existed in the adirondacks
Really? I grew up in the farm country and wood lands of the western Adirondack foothills and in all my years as a kid while playing in the grassy fields and forests (50's and 60's), and later while hunting as a adult (60's -70's-80's) I never had one on me, never heard of any in the area, nor did I see any on deer that I harvested. Not until fairly recently (less than 15 years ago) had I ever even seen a tick in real life. So who is the intruder?

Last edited by Wldrns; 08-01-2017 at 07:44 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #35
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
define "going along fine" please. How do you know that everything was fine? My question to you was, from your original statement, what is the important role of ticks in the adirondacks before they arrived here. and now? I'd say everything was going along fine before they arrived in the area where I live and travel. Do you think humans bring them here?
A rhetorical question.
But, as an afterthought, bedbugs are a type of tick and they're transported from one place to the next by humans.
The same as deer ticks and so on.
What came first?????
Who the heck knows?
My point is that we have biting critters in the woods.
If we want to avoid them, stay home.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #36
Glen
Check please

Quote:
These obnoxious critters (our description) are a part of our environment, like them or not.
Each of them play a far more important role than the comfort of human intruders.
What is the role played by a mosquito, or an adelgid?
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #37
Terasec

Quote:
Really? I grew up in the farm country and wood lands of the western Adirondack foothills and in all my years as a kid while playing in the grassy fields and forests (50's and 60's), and later while hunting as a adult (60's -70's-80's) I never had one on me, never heard of any in the area, nor did I see any on deer that I harvested. Not until fairly recently (less than 15 years ago) had I ever even seen a tick in real life. So who is the intruder?
lyme disease was discovered in NY in 1982,
does not mean ticks were discovered in 1982
ticks existed in NY long before lyme disease was discovered
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #38
Hard Scrabble

Totally agree about cancer , but that's not the point of the discussion.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #39
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
What is the role played by a mosquito, or an adelgid?
Brook Trout prey on the larva of mosquitos, black flies and other critters that are so repugnant to humans.
It's natures' balance.
We can't sit in the catbirds' seat and determine what is good or bad.
The sooner we realize this, the better we can coexist.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #40
geogymn

Quote:
I've been around as long as you and I concur as never finding a tick until fairly recently.