Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
rbi99

West Mountain from Queer Lake

Coming up to spend three nights at Queer Lake in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if anyone has climbed West Mt from there. If so, is there anything to be made especially aware of?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

It's a long haul and rough going. Start early, plan on taking all day and getting lost a few times.

The actual climb is not very difficult at all.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Are there views from the summit of West Mt?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Are there views from the summit of West Mt?
There used to be.

I've heard it's become a bit overgrown in recent years, so they may be diminished to a few peek-a-boos, or nothing at all by now.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
dundee

Friendly advice: take a stove to Queer Lake. Wood is VERY scarce. In fact, it looks more like Cenrtal Park than the Pigeon Lake wilderness.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Friendly advice: take a stove to Queer Lake. Wood is VERY scarce. In fact, it looks more like Cenrtal Park than the Pigeon Lake wilderness.
Thanks, but I'm not a fire guy. Will definitely have my stove with me. No wood is one thing, hopefully the area is clean.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
... hopefully the area is clean.
Mostly clean. I've seen people leave a lot of thing that they should carry out; rubber rafts, tents, etc., but food-wise is good. I've seen some cans left there, but not much in the way of open food that would attract animals.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
snapper
snapper

I've spoken to folks who have been on top of West Mt. fairly recently and there is still a view over Raquette Lake from the flat rocky area on the summit where the old fire tower used to be. Again, this is second hand information but I do trust the folks who've reported this.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
It's a long haul and rough going. Start early, plan on taking all day and getting lost a few times.

The actual climb is not very difficult at all.
Do you know if the trail itself offers a pleasant hike through nice scenery, even if it means navigating with a compass and map? Curious why the trail sees so little traffic.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
dundee

I can only speak of the trail to Pigeon Lake itself, as haven't gone further. I enjoyed it. It's an easy, narrow trail and goes thru old-growth forest with some huge pines.

Chub and Constable Pond see their share of hikers, but Pigeon isn't as scenic and the trail doesn't come up to the edge of it. Plus, the lack of views from West Mt. make it underused. Not long ago the DEC gave up on the trail, but someone in an office somewhere decided to keep it open.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Likely the bit from Pigeon Lake to the summit of West will be a bit rough.

DEC clears these trails every 10 years I believe and I don't know where we are on that cycle, so that could really change the experience. If it's near the beginning of that cycle, it's not that bad, if we are back toward the end, it could be treacherous. The forest really is old growth past Chub and that generally means an impenetrable mess, not just old, large trees. The area is quite low-lying and swampy, so in a year like this, that could add some significant challenge.

Last time I was out there it was like the wettest spring/early summer I can recall since this year and most of the trails were under water, literally.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
nickUSA

I climbed West Mountain last summer (from Brown Tract Pond) and can confirm there is a nice, if somewhat limited view, from the summit area. There's also a few summit bolts up there, including an original Colvin bolt.

The approach from Pigeon Lake was one of my bucket list items for this summer, but doesn't look like I'll get around to it.

Good luck!
nickUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'll concur with the assessments about Queer Lake. I day hiked in on snowshoes a couple of winters ago, and even with the snow cover it was pretty obvious that this lean-to has been hit pretty hard by the crowd that thinks wilderness camping is all about chopping trees down.

The trails east to West Mountain have also always been on my bucket list but I've not yet had a chance to make the trip.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I'll concur with the assessments about Queer Lake. I day hiked in on snowshoes a couple of winters ago, and even with the snow cover it was pretty obvious that this lean-to has been hit pretty hard by the crowd that thinks wilderness camping is all about chopping trees down.
I'm not sure how this happened... this place used to be pristine about 20 years ago. I mean PERFECT. No junk at the lean to, no obvious damage or overuse. The only trammeled areas were about 20-30' around the lean to and even that was pretty grassy. The swimming area in front of the rock was clear of any glass or garbage.

Now it's not like that at all and it's actively being deforested... which is hard to believe... the thing I remember most about that lake in the old days was how much downed trees there were on the shoreline.

There are a couple other campsites around the lake, which used to be just as clean as the lean to and pretty hard to find, but I'm guessing these have befallen similar fate? I don't really go out there anymore... mainly for the reason stated and it's not the most direct route to Chub and Pigeon.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I'm not sure how this happened... this place used to be pristine about 20 years ago. I mean PERFECT. No junk at the lean to, no obvious damage or overuse. The only trammeled areas were about 20-30' around the lean to and even that was pretty grassy. The swimming area in front of the rock was clear of any glass or garbage.

Now it's not like that at all and it's actively being deforested... which is hard to believe... the thing I remember most about that lake in the old days was how much downed trees there were on the shoreline.

There are a couple other campsites around the lake, which used to be just as clean as the lean to and pretty hard to find, but I'm guessing these have befallen similar fate? I don't really go out there anymore... mainly for the reason stated and it's not the most direct route to Chub and Pigeon.

I first went to Queer lake about 34 years ago and the forest near the LT was thick, High Peaks thick. Now it looks like a city park. Sad.

There are a couple of campsites around the lake that are designated, but not marked (checked with ranger), but they don't get much use and stay pretty clean.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
rbi99

Still coming up to spend those three nights at Queer Lake, but I won't be trying to do West Mt from there. My older dog can probably do as many as 8 miles in a day, but West would be well over 12 all together. We'll simply hike to the nearby lakes in the area.

Does anyone know if it is very rugged hiking around Queer Lake itself? Has anyone done it? Doesn't appear to be any kind of trail along the Southeastern side.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
dundee

It's pretty darn thick around there. See if you can take an inflatable raft and paddle around. It has been done before!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #18
DuctTape
Out of Shape

It is rugged for sure. I haven't gone the entire way around, but for the majority I have done there is not a path.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #19
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post

Does anyone know if it is very rugged hiking around Queer Lake itself? Has anyone done it? Doesn't appear to be any kind of trail along the Southeastern side.

If I were to go in there with time to spend, I'd take a hike up to Pigeon to se some big pines and then take a hike to Chub. Good swimming ledge at Chub. Constable is pretty, too.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #20
montcalm
Mobster

I've explored a good bit around Queer lake but I don't think I've ever went all the way around. There are some really cool rock formations around there, but yeah, it's thick.

Pigeon is not too far off and Chub is on the way, so I'd do that as an out and back. There are a couple of different ways to cut over to Constable pond but I don't know how well used they are anymore, so they might be rough going. The trail to Chub should be the easiest way.