Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #21
Justin
Moving along

I saw one that looked similar to an F16 flying just above the tree line while I was bushwhacking out near Deer Lake in Ferris Lake Wild Forest a few years ago...Damn those loud motors when you're deep in the woods!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #22
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I experienced a low-flying A-10 zip through Indian Pass ... but that was around 1980. Matte green with two engines mounted high in the back. A noise you hear *and* feel. Possibly from the (long defunct) Plattsburgh AFB?
Plattsburgh was a SAC (Strategic Air Command) base. In its most recent active years it only had the FB-111, the B-52, and the KC-135. No A-10s were permanently stationed there. But there could have been a temporary exercise going on at any time, with A10s from any home stateside base using any local base as a temporary home, to use the bombing range at Fort Drum.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #23
greatexpectations

growing up i spent many summers in/near speculator and some sort of jets (i won't pretend to know what model) would buzz by on a near weakly basis. a larger transport style plane once flew fairly low over lake pleasant too, i remember being thrilled by that.

i haven't seen them in a while, but i am not sure if that is because they are less active, flying elsewhere, or just that i am not around as often.
greatexpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #24
Klinkhamer

I got to witness firsthand what jets breaking sound barriers were like when I was stationed at White Sands, NM while in the Army. F-15's chasing 'Aggressor' F-5's from Holloman AFB routinely broke sound barriers over the missile range while training. When they were chasing each other at low altitudes over the desert it's quite frightening to a ground observer when they pass over you and you never heard them coming. Takes your breath away and you still duck even though they're over 1000 feet up. They're basically flying the same speed as a bullet which you don't hear until its too late.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #25
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Plattsburgh was a SAC (Strategic Air Command) base. In its most recent active years it only had the FB-111, the B-52, and the KC-135. No A-10s were permanently stationed there. But there could have been a temporary exercise going on at any time, with A10s from any home stateside base using any local base as a temporary home, to use the bombing range at Fort Drum.
Most of the A 10's that we saw were based in Fairfield, Mass.
Two collided near Wells, NY. not far from the confluence of the east and west branch of the Sacandaga Rivers.
The A 10 is still in service, as witnessed in Iraq.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 PM   #26
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I experienced a low-flying A-10 zip through Indian Pass ... but that was around 1980. Matte green with two engines mounted high in the back. A noise you hear *and* feel. Possibly from the (long defunct) Plattsburgh AFB?

Glad they don't buzz the High Peaks like that anymore. (Or do they?)
I had that same experience in the mid 80's. It's over before you realize what you saw. A-10s at treetop level are pretty impressive. My friend swears they used to use cars on 28N as practice targets because he said he was coming up over a rise and had one literally fly directly down the road at him before pulling up.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote