Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
medic149

Question Water and septic on property

Hello,

I'm considering buying a 3 acre plot on the Raquette River, but there is no water or septic.

I've heard terrible stories about APA not allowing either.

I was thinking of having a point water supply put in for non-potable use, but not sure on septic. We would only have a seasonal travel trailer on the site.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Andy
medic149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
peskypup

All depends on where it is and how it's zoned. This would be a good place to start: https://apa.ny.gov/gis/

Calling the town in which the land is situated would be even better. They'll be able to tell you about any specific rules or requirements. Depending on where it is, you might not need to deal with the APA at all.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
TCD

Make sure to have successful and permitted well and septic in the purchase contract as a contingency.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
medic149

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypup View Post
All depends on where it is and how it's zoned. This would be a good place to start: https://apa.ny.gov/gis/

Calling the town in which the land is situated would be even better. They'll be able to tell you about any specific rules or requirements. Depending on where it is, you might not need to deal with the APA at all.

Thanks for the info. The property is in a "low intensity" location", of course, feet from a moderate intensity area. I plan on calling Tupper Lake town offices after the holiday. I've also put out some feelers to local septic install companies.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
medic149

Thanks, TCD!!! We will be doing that
Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Wldrns

You need to check the location of any wetland boundary. I am currently looking at land that is bordered by wetland. Check out the NYSDEC Environmental Resource Mapper to see where wetland is in relation to your property (you must disable browser popup blockers to see it). You may not be issued a permit to build if it is within the 100 foot WL boundary. A local ranger tells me that they are much more strict than they were just a couple of years ago. That might not be the end of the story, as the Army Corps of Engineers may have a stricter definition of build-able distance from a wetland.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/gis/erm/

The DEC mapper is also handy for identifying tax map numbers.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
Hard Scrabble

You may be required to install an an above grade septic system.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #8
aft paddle

Have the tax map parcel number with related info and call APA. Without the tax parcel info they probably will not be able/willing to help you. They can tell you if anyone has previously applied for permits and been denied or approved and supply you with what is allowed on that parcel.

If it's in a regulated area you will eventually need to go through them anyway and it's probably best to know what they require/allow from the get-go rather than hitting a brick wall after a lot of chasing around.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
Terasec

Check with reliable septic company
May be a seperate permit for seasonal/limited use septic
As opposed to a full time residence
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
WBB

I assume you are in the town and not the village of Tupper Lake. I found Paul O'Leary the Code Enforcement Officer very helpful and easy to deal with regarding these type of issues. I think you should also reach out to NYDOH in Saranac Lake as they most likely will be approving the design.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #11
medic149

Thank you for the info. This property is actually in the town of Altamont, even though they advertise it as Tupper Lake. The property has a rather extensive easement on it that might kill the deal for us.

Thanks again!!

AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
I assume you are in the town and not the village of Tupper Lake. I found Paul O'Leary the Code Enforcement Officer very helpful and easy to deal with regarding these type of issues. I think you should also reach out to NYDOH in Saranac Lake as they most likely will be approving the design.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
St.Regis

Don't trust the Town when it comes to determining the presence of wetlands. Check out these regulations for APA wetlands. https://www.apa.ny.gov/Documents/Law...lationsAPA.pdf

State wetlands typically have a regulated upland adjacent area (buffer) around their perimeter, and DEC and APA regulate certain activities around the wetlands. The Feds (Army Corps of Engineers), however, do not have a buffer around federal-only wetlands.

APA biologists will typically provide a field determination of state-regulated wetlands. The Corps usually will not and they put the onus on the landowner to determine whether or not wetlands that meet Corps wetlands ID criteria are present.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Buckladd

If and when this works out for you plan on providing detailed maps and a thorough application for the APA to make their job easier.

When I built my house in 1997 I was on a long waiting list, at first, for the APA inspector after I'd applied for a permit Then they called and said they had an immediate opening so I jumped on it. When the lady came she said one of the best things about my application was my maps, so they just wanted to see the property with their own eyes.

My house sits in an old pasture on a slight rise and I put the well about where a douser had found water when I was a kid. I put the septic on the opposite side. The only restriction the APA put on me was that my road, which is over 400-feet long, had to be no wider than 15-feet, as long as I followed what I'd laid out in my maps. I had no problem getting approval.

Meanwhile, at the same time, a friend of mine who was building a smaller house than mine right next to the road and in the same town, got delayed because he was uncooperative with them. I'm sure a lot has changed in 20 years, but I had a good experience and consider myself lucky.