Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
Crash

Crane Pond Road

I was thinking of heading over to Crane Pond later this week and would like to know if the road is passable? I've never been there before but understand that there is some standing water to drive through. I have a 4wd vehicle with medium clearance.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I was just there this past Saturday...you'll be fine.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
dundee

Real hikers walk it, tho.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Well if you're referring to "hikers," then yes, by definition, they should be walking it.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Well if you're referring to "hikers," then yes, by definition, they should be walking it.
Real hikers will use the Long Swing Trail (A.K.A. the Blue Hill Trail) if they want to hike to Crane Pond.... https://youtu.be/FpWt6De1oBY
Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
Crash

Thanks for the info Justin.

I did head up to Crane Pond - the water crossing wasn't as bad as I imagined it could be but I heard it was less deep now than it sometime is. The road in was rather nasty though. On Saturday morning there were about a dozen cars at the Wilderness boundary parking lot and about another dozen cars at Crane Pond, including the park ranger's. I would have never thought that this place would be so busy!
I guess I could also agree with dundee, but I am not a "real hiker". My limit is a couple miles of hiking at a time. I would not have been able to visit this place without the road access.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Crash, I was there again this past weekend Thurs-Sun celebrating my cousin's bachelor party with a few other friends & family...Did I see you? Apologies if we were a little loud...the cornhole games got a little competitive.
I was the guy in the green Old Town with the blonde lab.
It was indeed pretty busy this weekend compaired to Labor Day Weekend.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Crash

Yes, we chatted in the parking lot. Actually, Jenny came over and introduced herself to me as I was pulling a daypack out of my car. I think that dogs have a keen sense of knowing who is a dog person (or maybe she just smelled the scent of my 4 dogs on me).

I did not even hear you guys from my site. But I almost did paddle on over to one the three party-groups on the lake that evening to see if I could bum off a beer. You see, earlier in the week I decided that I would eat/drink healthy on this trip. Well, in the late afternoon, in the warm sunshine, as I was missing my single can of Guinness routine, I started to realize that sometimes good people make bad decisions. Never again.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Ha!
Bummer, we did indeed have a few Guinness' in one of our coolers.
Apologies for not introducing myself, hope you enjoyed the weekend.