Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Creekwader
Snag Locator

opener reports?

I take it from the lack of activity here that either no one got out or if they did and had no luck.

I went out yesterday morning at crack of dawn as the snow squalls were moving through and got skunked. Water was high but fishable. Unfortunately, the clarity was the biggest problem with even the small tribs looking like yoo-hoo.

Participated in family Easter activities until mid afternoon then headed back out. Same situation but I went to a spot that has a small trib draining into the muddy main stream that happened to be almost clear. In the roughly 12 years I've been fishing this particular spot, I always drop a cast or two into the small hole where the trib drains in because in my mind I've always thought there must be a time when a fish would be there. And in 12 years I've always been wrong...until yesterday. I was swimming my bugger through the coffee water into the clear and sure enough right behind it was a medium sized brown trout. I of course overreacted and pulled the fly away from this lethargic trout so he had to exert more energy to swipe and miss it when a good pause would have surely connected, leaving me cursing myself on the bank.

Was also in Old Forge Saturday and yes folks we have a long ways to go for pond fishing. Everything I saw was frozen shore to shore. There's some open water near channels and such but the main lakes are locked. We're looking at the end of this month or early May realistically.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
jman22

Probably fished the same stream you did CW. Didn't fish long and came up empty. Creek looked much better today and should look great tomorrow. Hopefully the warmer temps will arrive soon (especially for all you guys waiting to hit the ponds!).
jman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
NHtroutster

My son and I also came up empty, though I was very surprised to see our favorite stream looking remarkably clear and lower than I had expected. The best thing about our first outing of the season was a beautiful and majestic adult bald eagle watching our folly for about 20 minutes. Snapped a couple long distance photos, but just when we were close enough for a close-up pic, he/she got tired of us and flew away. Good sign though, I hope!?!
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

I havent been on here much as i just had welcomed to this world another fisherman watch out guys. My son Nolan Jonathan Ball was born on the 16th of March. But with that said i am still ice fishing. Was out on clear on last day of march with about 20 inches of ice. Top half white bottom half clear hard ice. Went to a small pond yesterday and it had about 18 inches of ice mix of snowy to white. No shoreline thaw yet as every time we get warm weather we get super cold nights. Was 12 deg yesterday morning. Still havent put away the ice gear.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ball View Post
I havent been on here much as i just had welcomed to this world another fisherman watch out guys. My son Nolan Jonathan Ball was born on the 16th of March. But with that said i am still ice fishing. Was out on clear on last day of march with about 20 inches of ice. Top half white bottom half clear hard ice. Went to a small pond yesterday and it had about 18 inches of ice mix of snowy to white. No shoreline thaw yet as every time we get warm weather we get super cold nights. Was 12 deg yesterday morning. Still havent put away the ice gear.
Congrats on the new addition and thanks for the report!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
skillzman1

Congrats Ryan and family!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Stillhunter

Congratulations Ryan on your new family addition!
Lots of ice remaining. Thanks for the update.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
Pauly D.

Congratulations Ryan and thank you for the reports from up North!
Old 04-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Thank you all, i will be heading out sunday and hit the ice again. Its been below freezing daytime and single digits at night. Might have even gained ice haha. Will keep everyone posted to measurements.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Buddy was on Colby jigging perch today with 12 inches of ice 8 clear rest was white on top. Will try to make it to another area tomorrow and see what we are looking at.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

still 18-20 inches from st regis to rainbow lake. with no shoreline melt. Looks like we will just start that process the later half of this week. Looking like last week of april if we are lucky.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #12
bluequill

Franklin Falls was shore to shore ice with no water along the banks.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

If anyone wants one last chance to hit the ice this weekend is it, looking at the local extended forcast this weekend should be the last. Still locked shore to shore if I had to guess still a foot of ice. Buddy may go tomorrow and let me know. Start of our thaw starts now. 2 weeks if we are lucky and we should open up.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
EagleCrag

Thanks for the update Ryan. Keep us posted.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #15
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Spent today in the West central ADK, there is still upwards to 2 feet of snow in the woods and ponds are nowhere near ice out. Fished 4 streams and the outflows of three lakes/ponds, no fish to be found.

Here's a nice picture of winter flipping the bird or waving at the fisherman from the bank of a brook trout stream, you pick:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u5d4wEGalqa0DaK12
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #16
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

14 inches on St Regis at Paul Smith's. Start of the thaw is now. Took road trip South to fish champs tribs and got some rainbows and perch. Was nice to hit open water again
Old 04-29-2018, 08:20 PM   #17
EagleCrag

Just took a ride up to West Caroga Lake. Ice looks to be about half gone and is breaking up. I think a good warm day with some wind will take it out.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #18
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Drove around today still a lot of ice most ponds still locked in saranac lake area. Had one spot open just enough to fish and loons where able to pop through the slushy ice that was alog edges. Saw a deer walking on one pond today. Going to be another week to start finding anything worth fishing locally. Of course the 8 inhes of heavy wet snow Sunday didn't help matters any.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #19
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

With recent winds and warm temperatures it does look like we may have some open water. Will be driving around tomorrow and check some spots.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #20
hookman33

I did a tour today for work. Not surprisingly, I was also scouting for the weekend. Here's what I saw:

Schroon Lake - Open
Chapel - Ice shore to shore
Cascade - Lower - partially open; Upper - Iced in
Mirror - Iced in
Lake Flower - Open
Colby - Open mostly, but ice appears to have blown in to a large area at the bay at the launch
Barnum - Open
Mountain Pond - Iced in
Boy Scout Clear Pond - Iced in
Tupper Lake - Open
Blue Mt Lake - Iced in
Lake Durant - Some open water but large area are still iced in
Indian Lake - Open at shore but much ice otherwise
Lewey - Open at northern end and iced in otherwise
Mason Lake - Iced in
Algonquin Lake - Open
Great Sacandaga - Open
All the ice I saw was dark and could go out quickly with a little sun, wind etc.