Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Best laid plans

So there was nearly 2 ft of snow in the Taconics this past Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. I was busy all week (it happens, sometimes) and couldn't break free until Saturday.
No problem, I figured, I know the snow pack would take a hit, and it would likely be soggy powder, but at least I would get a few loops in.
So I anxiously packed my Jeep with skis, skins, boots and poles.

Then a tenant called, tub was not draining and the faucet leaked.
Nothing to it. I clear the clog then continue on and get my few runs in.
So I put my ski clothes is a bag, put on my sloppy clothes and drove over there. After all, how long can it take to pull out a hair clog and swap in a gasket or o-ring?

Well, I won't bore you with the details, but it ended up being a really sh!tty job, 7 short hours later I was done.

And I was done...if you know what I mean.
Short term forecast is for too warm for snow temps.

So it goes.

A few years ago, MDB and I did a little trip to the Keys. My ski buddies were nice enough to send me videos and photos of them skiing at Plattekill...in the middle of what turned out to be a total of 7 feet of powder! Once in a lifetime for those guys.
And where was I? In some rented piece of plastic in a mangrove swamp!

I guess I can't always have a fairy tale life.

Anyone else have tales of "the powder that got away"?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

I don't know if it was the powder that got away, but I went out on Tuesday, and it was a bit disappointing. I think Monday after the storm would have been significantly better. The wind drifted a lot of snow and the fact that the ground isn't frozen seemed to shrink a foot to less a few inches in a day in some places. That and non-frozen water on the surface.

Such is life... there will be more snow and more powder another day.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
TCD

My sad tale: Quite a few years ago a friend and I did a trip to Whistler with a group of about 9 guys. Happened to be a bad snow year in BC; we were skiing on ice with rocks sticking through it. My wife was skiing knee deep fresh powder here at Gore and laughing at us on the phone. Oh well, it was a fun trip anyway!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
yardsale

Two years ago my wife and I headed West for the winter, last winter we hung around VT. This year our ski friends are taking up a collection to send us back to the Tetons! Anyone wanna contribute?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
OntarioSkiBum

The key to great powder skiing is to book a western ski trip for the day I leave. It never fails. Not only do I just miss the powder, but driving in the storm back to the airport is the salt in the wounds.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

This year will be my missed powder story year. I'm having disc surgery in 2 weeks and Weds. the surgeon told me NO skiing this season. Too bad since I bought this year's pass back in March. I usually ski 4 or 5 days a week so staying home will be rough, especially since I can see one of the primary slopes out my front window.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

A belated update...
I did manage to get out, though it wasn't backcountry.
I went last Friday to Killington, it was a CT ski council day and lift ticket price was $42, instead of the outrageous $105.
In the parking lot, there seemed to be 5 or 6 inches of fresh, light powder, and it snowed steadily for most of the morning. All together, about 9 inches fresh, most of it (where I skied) barely tracked. Stuck to Snowden mostly, as that's where the majority of natural snow trails were. Great powder and bumps on Northstar, Vagabond, Great Bear, poked into the trees too but it was pretty bony in there...even skied Escapade and Flume top to bottom, that was surely the best skiing on the mountain that day. Adequate cover on the trails I skied, plenty on the ones with snowmaking, but I don't even go near those unless I have to.
At mid day, thermometer at the peak said 8F, and there were substantial winds all day. It was a face mask and goggles kind of day. All in all a great early season powder day...but I'd still rather skin and ski than pay and ride! Side note:that ski day was wedged in between two carpal tunnel surgeries, probably no skiing for another week or so for me.
Keeping my fingers crossed for a real winter...
Old 12-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
richard1726
46er2618

Plumbers get paid the most of the trades because their job is the sloppiest.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote