Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #21
Makwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
That sounds like the outlet of Buckhorn, which flows into Dead Vly. It's been a few years since I've been there, so I assume that's where this flooding is, and not at Priest Vly, where flooding has also been an issue in the past.
I was there yesterday. The flooding is about halfway between Rte 8 and the footbridge at the outlet of Buckhorn Lake. To be exact... 0.6 SE of Rte 8 and 0.55 from the bridge. The reroute will not keep you completely dry unless you're very careful. In one spot that's about 10-12 feet across there is only one small rock and the roots of a tree that are above water. If you miss either or slip you're gonna get wet.

NW edge of flooding. The dam there is about 2-3 feet high.

SE edge of flooding
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #22
forgedin78

Yep, that's the spot I was thinking of. And yes it's much much worse than it was in the fall. Seems like a good place for those two log/beam bridges.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #23
Edb 46 er

Thank you so much for posting the pics, I did manage to stay dry somehow though.
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #24
ChrisX24

Latest news: yes, there is a beaver dam near Dead Vly at the Buckhorn outlet. Flagging was present around the beaver dam which was an easy detour, thanks to the person who marked the re-route.

No, no more beaver dam at the Priests Vly outlet. It has been washed out by the recent rains, but who knows when said beavers will return and rebuild.

Just walked the NPT section between Piseco and Whitehouse last weekend.
46R #5621 -- NE111 #627 -- CL50 #343 -- Firetowers Quest 28/28 -- working on TO54, NPT
ChrisX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #25
ChrisX24

Beaver flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX24 View Post
Latest news: yes, there is a beaver dam near Dead Vly at the Buckhorn outlet. Flagging was present around the beaver dam which was an easy detour, thanks to the person who marked the re-route.

No, no more beaver dam at the Priests Vly outlet. It has been washed out by the recent rains, but who knows when said beavers will return and rebuild.

See the photo of the Priests Vly outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
46R #5621 -- NE111 #627 -- CL50 #343 -- Firetowers Quest 28/28 -- working on TO54, NPT
Old 07-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #26
ChrisX24

Beaver flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX24 View Post

And these show the beaver dam and flagging at the Dead Vly outlet:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk