Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
tenderfoot

Little Tup'r lake -> Rock Pond Aug 4 & 5

At a suggestion from the paddle section of this forum we decided to c=try canoeing in the Whitney C Williams Wilderness. It was great and we will be back.

12' fiberglass Old Town Stillwater canoe, hammock camping set up, packed a bit heavy 'cause only the one portage.

Little Tupper was breezy but manageable. Hugged shore a bit and lee side of islands. Saw an otter, bald eagle and a few loons. Crazy darn flies in canoe ate me up. Reminder to self: applying bug spray on the beach then walking in water to launch canoe is silly - reapply!

Outlet to Rock Pond was great. A few beaver dams, most of which you could scootch over. Getting out and pulling over was a new adventure for us but no mishaps. Island site on rock pond was taken, saw/smelled the smoke. Good thing to because by the time we found a site heavy weather was coming in.

Had a thunderstorm sheltered under a tarp. It stopped long enough for us to enjoy dinner and set up camp. Thunder storms remainder off and on remainder of night. First experience hammock camping in such a deluge and we did fine (had winter tarp with us).

Saturday we hiked, toured rock pond, watched the island campers leave, read books and generally lazed about. Campfire Sat night but turned in early.

A bit disappointed we'd be missing out on star lit sky both nights. Smart daughter had an idea though:

Liz: Dad, you are old

Me: Ok, not sure where this was going

Liz: You get up once or twice at night, right?

Me: This is true...

Liz: If one of those times is close to morning, wake me up and we can start early!

So yes indeed, I nudged her at 4am and she was game. We broke camp and were on water before five. In star light! Canoeing by star light! Caught dawn coming intoLittle Tupper from outlet.

We did get misplaced on portage. There is a sign that says "Trail" paddling back. Did not look like portage we came in on, but it was dark. So we moved gear and got lost going back for canoe. Dark woods. Gear somewhere way over there, canoe somewhere way in the other direction, us walking on the rail bed with headlights thinking it was the portage. A bit annoying at the time but fun to look back on.

Started calm on Little Tupper then had wind at our backs. Nice surf back to launch point

New Gear: Tried out Steripen for second time. Big difference using it in a lake vs snow melt stream. Killed all the bad stuff I am sure but you still had some veggies in the water. May be our winter water treatment option, stick with Sawyer for summer.

Best Gear: Warbonnet Outdoors Superfly hammock tarp kept us dry through a series of thunderstorms. Kelty Noah 12 tarp also handy keeping camp dry.

Worst Gear: Liz had 'water shoes' which are fine for teh beack but for a portage you want something with a thicker bottom. We both had hiking shoes but were to lazy to slip into them. Duh.

Trying sharing photos with Google, not working. Will link later

Last edited by tenderfoot; 08-16-2017 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: photo issue
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Outlet to Rock Pond was great.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Sounds like the two of you had a great time! Can't wait to see your photos...
BTW, did your site on Rock Pond have a thunderbox?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
tenderfoot

Justin - your recent vid was perfect for us. Described exactly what we were looking at.

Stripper - no thunderbox. And we looked. Down the shore a ways was another site with the DEC 'toilet' sign that lead to a thunderbox, but she had to pick the lid off plank by plank. On a site on Little Tupper we landed at the north end of an island and she popped over a hill and surprised a camper just as they were walking away from what must have been a serviceable box. This is a shame since in more use areas thinks get kind of nasty this time of year with everyone stepping 10' into the woods to dig a 1" hole. Looks like Rock Pond gets less use (keep up the good work beaver)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the mention, Tenderfoot. I enjoyed reading your report!
I only giggled because the "Outlet to Rock Pond" sounds a little backwards...as Rock Pond flows into Little Tupper, not the other way...
Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
tenderfoot

Yes, we noticed pond flow. We traversed the outlet to rock pond, as in direction we were moving. It does sounds backwards. We recently vacationed at a resort in CA that had canoes people could borrow. I saw a few paddling the canoe in wrong seats, and my favorite - two people took it out facing each other. One canoeing backwards. They were able to chat that way.

Anyways, photos as promised:

Approaching a beaver dam:

Our pudgy little canoe on Little Tupper. Pulled over in the lee of a peninsula, lake was not this calm. We went a little crazy packing, bringing more than usual. Would like to transition into kayaking but need to try bringing just the stuff we bring backpacking. But it was fun to bring comfort items (extra tarp, chairs, books, etc)

We set up a tarp for cooking away from our campsite. Trusty alky stove served us well.

Morning coffee on Rock Pond

Cooking area, living room, etc. The hammocks and fire pit were tucked back in 150' from shore at the designated site.

Coming into Lit' Tupper from Rock Pond right after dawn. Sorry - no photos of night time canoeing:

Liz's shirt set the mood for the whole trip. Namaste:

Panoramic of rock pond:
Old 08-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Nice photos, Foot!
Paddled the outlet "of" Rock Pond.