Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How did you do food resupplies for your NPT thru-hike?
I did not do resupplies- I carried all of my food for the entire trip with me 6 13.33%
I used 1 or more mail drops at post offices along the route 6 13.33%
I purchased food at 1 or more stores along the route 2 4.44%
I had someone bring me resupplies by meeting me at 1 or more road crossings along the route 4 8.89%
I cached food in advance at 1 or more locations along the route 5 11.11%
I have not thru-hiked (or attempted to thru-hike) the NPT (this option is so that non-thru hikers can still vote and see the results) 27 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

How did you do food resupplies for your NPT thru-hike?

I'm curious to know who has actually done what for resupplies on the NPT, so I decided to make a poll. You can choose more than one option, so feel free to chose all that apply if you've done more than 1 NPT thru-hike, or if you used different methods along the way.

The results are anonymous.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
snapper
snapper

I attempted a thru-hike a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, a severely sprained ankle to my partner required that we get off the trail. I did reply above and stated that our plan was a combination of someone meeting us for a resupply and a cache (my truck in Long Lake) along the way. At this point I'm planning to try again this coming June as it's the only time in my schedule that works. We're just going to have to put up with the bugs and hope for the best.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
TCD

We used 2 resupply points: one at Irondequoit Inn in Piseco, and one at Hoss's store in Long Lake.

We were local (Glens Falls at the time) so we did not need to mail our food drops, and the hours of the post offices were not convenient to our trip plan.

(In the poll, the word "cache" may distort the results. A "cache" is generally a private or hidden stash in some undisclosed location. I voted for the "cache" option because it was the closest, since we did not use mail drops at the post offices. There was no option for "other resupply points.")
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Perhaps I should've been more clear then. I would've included having a store hold on to food for you as a "mail drop." In the common vernacular of the AT, a mail drop isn't limited to just the post offices- there are plenty of businesses along the trail (outfitters and hostels in particular) that will old on to resupplies for thru-hikers. So maybe I should've left out the "post office" bit.

By cache, I definitely meant a hidden resupply stash near the trail, although I suppose food left in a car parked at a trailhead along the trail could be included in this category as well.

Last edited by DSettahr; 02-09-2016 at 05:54 PM..
Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
TCD

Thanks, DS. So while I probably cannot change my vote in the poll, you know the story.

The folks at Irondequoit and at Hoss's were very helpful! I sing their praises every chance I get.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
MrKawfey

Ooops, I voted first then read the posts. I selected the cashes, but in actuality we left food at the Irondequoit inn and at lake Durant campground. Fyi I wouldn't count on being able to leave food at Durant. When we did it was late fall shortly before they closed and the guy reluctantly said we could leave it at our own risk. They couldn't guarantee mice wouldn't get into it. I stopped by the next day to add something to our box and I talked to someone different who said she would put it in the staff refrigerator which had been defrosted and unplugged for the year.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
dundee

You lucked out with the folks at Durant. Their official policy is to NOT hold packages for hikers; they don't want to be responsible.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
gmagnes

Resupply points??

Am in the early stages of planning for an end to end NP Trail trip later in the summer and wondered if folks can share suggested places (post offices, businesses, inn's etc.) that are willing to hold onto food resupply packages until a hiker or several arrive to retrieve them. If you have spots to suggest, would be grateful if you can provide any additional info (eg, contact person info, if the package can be mailed to them or needs to be personally delivered ahead of time, etc.).
Thanks
Gerry
gmagnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

There are three possible resupply points along the trail: Piseco, Blue Mountain Lake, and Long Lake.

The trail runs right past both a small convenience (and liquor) store as well as a post office in Piseco.

Blue Mountain Lake has only a small gas station and post office, and both are located several miles out of the way.

Long Lake has a few more options- a post office, a Stewart's, Hoss's, as well as a small grocery, but again, all of these are located several miles out of the way.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
dundee

I think there's an outfitter in BML, between the road junction and the museum on Rt. 30.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
rodazac

If you hide a resupply stash near the trail, what would you suggest to store the cache in to protect it from weather and animals? I assume you take the container with you as to leave no trace.
rodazac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #12
dundee

Leaving a cache may be illegal, I know that burying one is. Although it may be illegal, I was told by a ranger that if you clean up after the trip and leave no trace, there isn't a ranger who would write you up for it.

Now, having certified that we're all going to follow the letter of the law, bear canisters might be your best bet. Place in garbage bag to keep the rain out.

Rob, "try something" (or a similar nickname) did a bear-bag hang on one of his trips and had no issues. Make sure it's not visible from the trail.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
12trysomething

How did you do food resupplies for your NPT thru-hike?

If you look at about the 6:30 mark of this video you will see my method.

http://youtu.be/0ER6VTFF8pk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
Terasec

i havent found regs on cache food/supplies
other than not being allowed to leave personal property in state lands
there are regs on geocaching which they do make exceptions for with strict guidelines
in geocaching regs , state wildlife agency must be notified and no food may be cached
-----------------------
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...h6N6j6YsXQgLA-

Geocaching provides park visitors an opportunity to learn about nature and enjoy the outdoors.
Left unmanaged however, this activity has the potential to damage natural and historic
resources and can pose a possible risk to visitors. Placing caches in locations such as cliffs or
underwater is prohibited. Items must not be left caches that are either dangerous to visitors or
inappropriate for children. Caches shall not be placed in ecologically sensitive areas, or in
areas that are far from established trails, because of the potential environmental damage from
trampling. No food or materials attractive to wildlife shall be cached and no cache shall be
buried.
Any visitor wishing to place a cache must complete an application for a geocache placement
permit, which requires review and authorization by the park manager or designee. The permit
process will provide for review of all geocache placements to ensure the protectio
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
i havent found regs on cache food/supplies
other than not being allowed to leave personal property in state lands
there are regs on geocaching which they do make exceptions for with strict guidelines
in geocaching regs , state wildlife agency must be notified and no food may be cached
-----------------------
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...h6N6j6YsXQgLA-
That's good information (thanks for finding and sharing it ), but it should be pointed out that those regulations don't apply to the Adirondack State Park. State land in the Adirondack Park is under the jurisdiction of the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, not the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation (with a couple of tiny exceptions).

Having 2 completely different agencies that manage public lands in NY State does get a bit confusing, but it's sort of like the difference at the federal level between the National Park Service and the US Forest Service. Both agencies have similar end goals (protection of public resources) with different specific objectives with regards to how to achieve those goals. The NPS is more of a preservation-minded agency, while the USFS focuses more on conservation. In NY State, OPRHP generally fulfills the preservation role, while the DEC focuses more on conservation.

Of course, at the federal level, there's a clear distinction between National Parks and National Forests, making it easier to recognize which agency is in charge when entering public lands. In NY State, we have State Parks that are managed by OPRHP, and State Parks that are managed by the DEC, which further adds to the confusion with regards to regulations at the state level. (I've personally witnessed groups from NYC in the Adirondack State Park who thought that the regulations were same as in Harriman State Park- no group size limits, and all tents must be pitched within 300 feet of a shelter.)

With regards to caching on DEC lands, the only regulations I've found that would conceivably apply are as follows:

Quote:
190.4 Camping permits. (c) Upon termination of camping all equipment and supplies must be removed from State land. The storage of personal property on State lands is prohibited.

190.8 General. (e) Any tent or other camping structure left unoccupied for more than 48 hours may be taken down or removed by the department.

190.8 General. (w) No person shall erect, construct, install, maintain, store, discard or abandon any structure or any other property on State lands or subsequently use such structure or property on State lands, except if the structure or property is authorized by the department or is:
(1) a geocache that is labeled with the owner’s name and address and installed in a manner that does not disturb the natural conditions of the site or injure a tree;
(2) a camping structure or equipment that is placed and used legally pursuant to this Part;
(3) a legally placed trap or appurtenance that is placed and used during trapping season;
(4) a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner’s name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season; or
(5) a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed 30 days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number.
Whether food caches on the NPT would be permitted under the regulations is unclear at best.

Last edited by DSettahr; 12-19-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Old 12-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
dundee

I would think the answer is in 190.0 General, "store personal property".
Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
Foraging_bear

I thru-hiked the trail mid summer in 2015. As far as food goes I split the trip into 3 parts and sent 2 mail drops ahead.
-Started with my food for the upper benson to Piseco portion
-First maildrop I picked up at Piseco post office( had to wait a while for the post office to open because I made better time than expected, luckily there was some sort of triathlon and also a trail running event going on so I had plenty of entertainment while I waited)
-Second maildrop was it blue Mountain Lake post office with the remaining food for my trip.

Although it cost a little more it also gave me an option to send back(without going out of the way because the side trips were planned into my itinerary)anything that I found I didn't need or I brought too much of , helped to lighten my pack. which came in handy when I reached blue Mountain Lake and sent back a few items and extra food I wasn't going to need.
Foraging_bear is offline   Reply With Quote