Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #61
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This something that caught my eye as I read the blog post:

I find it hard to reconcile this with a 115 horse motor on a good-sized craft with two guys (author and friend) on board who most likely knew where to go.
It could of been something simple as a guy who didn't realize the gravity of the situation and didn't want to damage his new boat. Or, as wisely stated above, didn't want to add to the fubar scenario.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #62
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Not to disagree but the weather forecast for that Friday night called for high winds & possible severe thunderstorms. It was the only reason I decided to wait until the next day. When I traveled up Crane Pond Road that following morning I expected to see several downed trees across the road. To my surprise there were none, but there were indeed lots of downed branches scattered along Alder Meadow Road.
Not to sound like a knucklehead but I prefer dramatic weather whilst in the wilds. The experience is generally unique and memorable. Of course I don't advocate this course of action to anyone, especially if others are involved.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #63
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Not to sound like a knucklehead but I prefer dramatic weather whilst in the wilds. The experience is generally unique and memorable. Of course I don't advocate this course of action to anyone, especially if others are involved.
Agreed & same here. Iíve never been one to shy away from heavy down pours or big snowstorms or even an occasional thunderstorm, but Ďsevereí thunderstorms with heavy wind, frequent lightning, & falling trees is another story. If I remember correctly the weather radar for that night showed a huge front with lots of reds & purples moving east and extending from about Poughkeepsie all the up to Plattsburgh. No thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #64
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
A canoe has a considerably shallower draft than a 23' vessel with a 115 hp outboard... (even if there are any navigational markers on Putnam Pond, it's doubtful they would be visible on a stormy night)
The first rule of a rescue effort is to avoid becoming / creating another victim, which would be the case if that boat ran aground in the dark (considering the operator in control was unfamiliar with the body of water).
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
It could of been something simple as a guy who didn't realize the gravity of the situation and didn't want to damage his new boat. Or, as wisely stated above, didn't want to add to the fubar scenario.
Excellent points. Darkness, wind and waves, rain, unknown waters.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #65
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post

Personally I found it poor form to write an embellished, first person account of someone's tragic death.
You might want to avoid the Gospel according to John, too, then.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #66
JohnnyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
You might want to avoid the Gospel according to John, too, then.
Thanks but I am more comfortable following Johnís Gospel than Lucky13ís.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #67
Justin
Moving along

One thing I found a little strange is when the author mentions this quote...

Quote:
It was around 2:00 in the afternoon. We had some time to get our stuff situated, eat some food, and then go out fishing in the early evening.
...and then mentions this a couple paragraphs later:

Quote:
They were on a short backpacking trip, hiking in from one of the many trails in the wilderness area... It was 2:00; it seemed early to set up camp if you’re on a hiking trip. What do you do for the rest of the day?
Really?
There are lots of things one can do, especially in that area, fishing is only one of them. Or is that just a fisherman’s mentality...to do anything else other than fish is strange.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #68
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Really?
There are lots of things one can do, especially in that area, fishing is only one of them. Or is that just a fishermanís mentality...to do anything else other than fish is strange.
Yeah, me too...I'm a huge fan of getting to the campsite as early as possible and then just being a homebody the rest of the day. Fish, read in my hammock, gather firewood. Damn, now I want to be there instead of at my desk.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #69
Justin
Moving along

I was at Rock Pond this weekend and walked passed the site...

Old 11-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #70
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Would you say that toppled pine 'top' is about 20" diameter, around 40' long?
Pics can be quite deceiving..
Old 11-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #71
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Would you say that toppled pine 'top' is about 20" diameter, around 40' long?
Pics can be quite deceiving..
More like 2 foot in diameter, and yeah about 30-40 feet long, which snapped off about 20 feet up the trunk. It’s kind of hard to see with the snow, but I could see where they tried to wedge a few 4-6” logs underneath. How horrific & incredibly sad! I didn’t stay long, I said a quick prayer for Lynn and moved on.