Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
Little Rickie

[QUOTE=Gman;2050 Nobody wants to talk about loons[/QUOTE]

That's a little surprising since we have so many on the forum.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #22
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lab Rat View Post
I was at Five Mile lean to in the Tongue Mountain range Sunday night and heard that haunting cackling and yipping that a pack of coyotes make. It came from north of the lean-to and seemed to be quite far away, although it is always difficult to judge distances of sound. Definitely a bit spooky though!
End of August last year we were camped out on St Sacrement Island in Lake George. It's almost dead even with Five Mile Lean to. Not long after dark a coyote on the side of the hill, fairly close down near the lake, started yipping and baying. Wish my dog had been with us, he would have answered him back. All manner of wildlife encounters last year, can't wait to see what's in store next week.

In regards to stripperguy's photo. The first thing that pegged it as a coyote for me was the length of the legs. Fox's leg are shorter in relation to the length of their body.
Does seem to be a bit less scrawny looking of a coyote than I'm used to. Wolf/yote hybrid? I'd love to know the answer to that.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
Uncle Alvah

I say coyote. Aside from the traits others have mentioned, look at the size of the ears, and ratio of its height to its length.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Gman

Here is a young female eastern wolf from Algonquin Park. It is about the same age as the one in your picture. This would have been the same wolf in the Adirondacks. Aside from the colouring both animals appear quite similar in appearance. Both appear to be @ 21"-22" at the shoulder and maybe 25-30 lbs.. By the end of their second year they should both be @ 24"-26" and 45-65 lbs.. That is usually too large for a pure coyote.

So I say Coywolf pup.

http://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20031007b.html
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #25
ehsfishin72

I agree w/ Gman that it's a juvenile male Coyote. Grey Fox prefer forested habitat and are small, about the size of a house cat. There are many, many Coyotes in the Adirondack Park and put a serious dent in the deer and turkey populations here. In the winter, while ice fishing, I see them often. Food is scarce and they become very brazen and can be aggressive.
ehsfishin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #26
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

backyard coyote

I think this is the same guy that's been hanging around since the summer. He's put on quite a bit of weight, and gotten pretty tall too. SIL took these photos this afternoon. He (the coyote) was fussing around trying to rout out a mole or mouse.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #27
oruacat2

If it helps, there've been reports the last few days of a mountain lion sighting in a Northern KY town near where I was born and raised. I actually started a thread about it before hastily deleting it because I couldn't find verification. lol
oruacat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #28
Crokit
crokit

Stripperguy:

That is a large, tall coyote. Very healthy looking , prime specimen
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #29
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crokit View Post
Stripperguy:

That is a large, tall coyote. Very healthy looking , prime specimen
Agreed, especially at this time of year...apparently, there's plenty to eat. This guy looks about the same size as my now gone shepherd-husky-Rottweiler mutt. Max was 105 lb in his prime and this guy looks nearly the same size.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
dpc34

They have a lot of hair this time of the year, appear to be much larger than they are..When I was running sled dogs, it looked like they lost 15lb when they lost their winter coat...just saying
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
gulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
I miss the Squatch threads.
Perhaps this will whet your whistle: Sasquatch Radio
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #32
St.Regis

Coyotes are very deceiving in size. They look big, but a very large yote will only be around 45-50 lbs. If that thing is even close to 105 lbs., it's wolf or part wolf.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote