Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
real3175

Berrymill Pond from Hague- Nov 18

We are back to lower elevation hikes now that the weather is cooler. We both definitely enjoy the winter and lower elevation hikes more, I am sure many of you can relate. I knew from previous posts that the lean to was new as of 2016 and I figured it may be a good location for a winter lean to overnight (maybe the winter forum overnight?). If we were to do an overnight there I would probably hike in from Putnam CG seeing as itís just shy of a 2 mile hike.

The hike from Hague was very enjoyable, we had it to ourselves other than one hunter who was walking out around 8am. He was very friendly and we chatted a bit and wished each other well. This was our first hike using the Gaia GPS App (still had map and compass) and it was pretty neat to see our tracks, distance traveled, elevation gained and a few other things. Iíll probably continue to use it but it will never be our primary navigation method. Pharaoh Mountain Wilderness never disappoints and we plan on heading back next weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gweil1...h/44013224580/
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
jblaser

Nice photos! I used the Gaia app in different areas of the ADKs since May and found it very reliable and useful. Always had a connection. Just had to make sure I downloaded enough of the map. I am still "old school" and carry a map and compass though.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
Nice photos! I used the Gaia app in different areas of the ADKs since May and found it very reliable and useful. Always had a connection. Just had to make sure I downloaded enough of the map. I am still "old school" and carry a map and compass though.
thanks for posting the link to the photos! Nice.

I had one pretty interesting thing happen with Gaia -- It completely reversed direction. I'm not sure if it was due to the internal compass on the phone, or something with the app, or what -- but the bearing it was reporting was 180 degrees off. I had to restart the app to get it to sort itself. It was funny at the time because I knew exactly where I was, but I could see why you'd never want to rely on it exclusively.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
real3175

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
I am definitely impressed by it, I went with the premium account for the year and I am amazed at the different map layers available. I am looking forward to the Nat Geo maps becoming available for the ADK in the map, so far on the east coast looks like only the Green Mountains are available.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
jblaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
thanks for posting the link to the photos! Nice.

I had one pretty interesting thing happen with Gaia -- It completely reversed direction. I'm not sure if it was due to the internal compass on the phone, or something with the app, or what -- but the bearing it was reporting was 180 degrees off. I had to restart the app to get it to sort itself. It was funny at the time because I knew exactly where I was, but I could see why you'd never want to rely on it exclusively.
Fortunately I never had a problem but since the app was new to me I didn't feel confident enough to leave the map and compass behind. I was sticking to trail for the most part, but I too liked to be able to see pretty much exactly where I was. I just upgraded to premium recently when I saw they had NOAA weather overlays. Unfortunately after doing so I found out that they weren't yet available for my (Android) phone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Tick Magnet

Great TR!

I've been to Berrymill from Putnam Pond a number of times, but never from Hague. It's on the list. Lean-to still looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing.