Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Camp Getaway? Really?

Itís kinda funny that they named it.

Herkimer County
Enforcement: On Nov. 11, Forest Rangers Gregory Hoag and Robert Coscomb apprehended four subjects at an illegal camp in the West Canada Wilderness. The four subjects found at Camp Get A Way were in violation of several parts of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) and of New York Codes, Rules and Regulations. The Rangers issued 20 tickets for violations, including having an illegal snowmobile and chainsaw in a wilderness area, damaging state land and cutting trees, storage of personal property, depositing litter, as well as several violations for illegal camping. The subjects have been ordered to remove the camp from the wilderness area by Dec.1, and are set to appear in court for these charges on Jan. 15. Good catch!

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 11-19-2018 at 09:25 PM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
Wldrns

Bob Coscomb would be the stricter and take no prisoners. The are both big guys and you don't want to get on the wrong side of either of them. Both live not far from me. A good catch for both to them (and for the rest of us and the wilderness as well).
Old 11-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Remove the camp by Dec1? That gives them about two weeks to continue breaking the law and doing whatever they want. Some justice!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Remove the camp by Dec1? That gives them about two weeks to continue breaking the law and doing whatever they want. Some justice!
Yeah it does seem a little strange. Why not remove it immediately?
It’s kind of like that camp in my video... Why issue a permit to use the camp during the ‘15 big game season if it has been ordered by DEC to be removed?
Doesn’t make much sense.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah it does seem a little strange. Why not remove it immediately?
Itís kind of like that camp in my video... Why issue a permit to use the camp during the Ď15 big game season if it has been ordered by DEC to be removed?
Doesnít make much sense.
They should do it like they handle back taxes. For every day the camp is there after a certain date, you get an additional penalty. Hard to enforce though, without checking on it frequently.

That camp in your video didn't look like it was "in the process of" anything except being used.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
That camp in your video didn't look like it was "in the process of" anything except being used.
Agreed, and I have a hunch that the occupant (Bill) requested & received a permit for a “hunting camp” in that general area (you can see the nearby lake name on the permit), but used it for the hidden camp instead, and hand-wrote the “Camp is being dismantled & removed, contents are being packed out per Encon” himself to make it look like the camp was in the process of being removed. And after I posted that video, the Ranger was able to connect the dots so to speak, which is why the occupant threatened me in the comments on YouTube, which had been deleted by the moderators shortly after they were posted. Luckily I was able to save screen shots of his threats in case I need them later.

On the other hand, the story that I was told by the guy who told me about the camp, is that DEC found the camp after he became ill while in camp, and was reported overdue by his wife, and she gave DEC the location of his whereabouts, and that’s how they found the camp.

Last edited by Justin; 11-26-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote