No announcement yet.

The Adirondack Trail Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for getting back to…really looking forward to the trip and the weather seems to be shaping up.

I have 3 days planned for being out on the route. Was planning on riding from Northville on route to inlet, then hitting 28 to 28N and then picking the trail back up over by Cheney pond/Boreas river back down to Northville.

How tough was the first 70 mile stretch up to speculator? Could you ride a good portion of it even if it was slow going? Much hike a bike? Can’t wait to see those remote lakes, love the pines and I a sure a ton of other cool stuff.

Was contemplating starting in Indian lake and doing the northern section but thinking I may do that in September..looking to do the whole thing in 2017 if things work out…but you know how that goes.

What kind of bike did you roll? Sleeping bag? Trying to keep things light and currently only bringing the bivy…

Comment

Beargrease, I'll try to answer some of this. My bike was a 907 Fatbike with 29+ wheels/tires, dynohub, framebag,Blackburn seatbag, Revelate Harness and Gastank. Also some homemade holders on the bars, like Feed bags. It is described on the Bikepacking link on a previous post. My gear weighed 30 lbs and included 40 degree bag, Eureka Solitaire solo tent/bivy, beercan stove, Sawyer minifilter, Blackburn fork mount carriers and water bottle mounts on fork.
      If I was going to tour the course for enjoyment and adventure I would start in Northville and ride Route 30 north to the right turn on what I think is Creek Rd.on the GPX track. It will cut out a lot of miles of road riding and get right to the trail riding. The trail from there to Speculator is some tough going with quite a bit of hike a bike depending on your setup and skill level. It is still some great offroad adventuring. During TATR I was only able to get within 4 miles of where it crossed Route 8 by nightfall, but I was riding it like I had 9 more days to go :-) .

After Speculator it is some road riding to Lake Pleasant then a real nice section through Perkins Clearing to Route 30. From there it is lots of road to Indian Lake then the dirt roads through the Moose River Plain following the Black Fly course. That's all I experienced. Hope this helps.
      I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. Appreciate everything and it is all helpful. Looks like you had a pretty sweet setup. Had a 907 myself and loved it.

Looking to enjoy some of the scenario so thinking I will still roll the road up to creek road and just avoid the river crossing. Hoping to roll early on Saturday and try and make it up to Speculator before dark if possible.

But its all about the adventure so it is what it is.

Comment

Make sure you post some pictures here or on FB when you get done. Good luck. I can't wait till I can get back out again on adventure.

Comment

you got it...Planning on the northern section in early September for a couple of days

Comment

I am def interested in doing this 2017 - maybe a preride too!

Anyone else?

I don't use the forum much anymore these days, so email or FB me please.

Inge Aiken ingeaiken@gmail.com

ps exciting finish this year!!

Comment

http://newenglandbikepacking.com/unc...ck-trail-ride/ Here's an article with pics of the bikes in this years ride.

Comment

That was quite the route Mikie put together! We got to visit parts of the Adirondacks that otherwise I would never have been in... The first day was a killer, it was hot and humid. Once in the woods off Creek Road I was hoping for relief but the humidity never let up. I consumed my water faster than planned and the dry summer left many of the small streams dry. Consequently I rode to Jimmy Creek, out past Pine Orchard and filtered water there... This is also the most physically demanding section out to RT 8. But beautiful. Fawn Lake, Willis Vly, MRP, Bryant's Bridge, Streeter Lake, Tooley Pond area, Peavine Swamp Trail, part of the Cranberry 50 trail (i did not like that section), Blue Ridge Road, Meachum Lake, Styles Brook Road (there were worse climbs), Essex, Westport, Hogback Road, Lester Flow, Irishtown Snowmobile trail (navigation challenge), Hoffman Road (more a washed out ATV trail) around Crane Mtn, Bear Pond Road, West Stony Creek Road (woohoo! I'm in the hood!) Arrow Trail, East Stony Creek, Hope Falls and Northville!
                  Seven Days , 14 Hours and change... I won't be eating any turkey subs for awhile, lost 12 pounds, met some real Adirondack characters, got to spend long days end on end alone, lot's of wildlife, riding under a full moon.... 584.3 miles (bacon and peanut butter, seriously .)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Riosacandaga; 09-28-2016, 07:48 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Riosacandaga View Post
                    That was quite the route Mikie put together! We got to visit parts of the Adirondacks that otherwise I would never have been in... The first day was a killer, it was hot and humid. Once in the woods off Creek Road I was hoping for relief but the humidity never let up. I consumed my water faster than planned and the dry summer left many of the small streams dry. Consequently I rode to Jimmy Creek, out past Pine Orchard and filtered water there... This is also the most physically demanding section out to RT 8. But beautiful. Fawn Lake, Willis Vly, MRP, Bryant's Bridge, Streeter Lake, Tooley Pond area, Peavine Swamp Trail, part of the Cranberry 50 trail (i did not like that section), Blue Ridge Road, Meachum Lake, Styles Brook Road (there were worse climbs), Essex, Westport, Hogback Road, Lester Flow, Irishtown Snowmobile trail (navigation challenge), Hoffman Road (more a washed out ATV trail) around Crane Mtn, Bear Pond Road, West Stony Creek Road (woohoo! I'm in the hood!) Arrow Trail, East Stony Creek, Hope Falls and Northville!
                    Seven Days , 14 Hours and change... I won't be eating any turkey subs for awhile, lost 12 pounds, met some real Adirondack characters, got to spend long days end on end alone, lot's of wildlife, riding under a full moon.... 584.3 miles (bacon and peanut butter, seriously .)
                    Well done!!!!
                    Makes the beer ride in VT look easy!

Are you going to write it all up on the blog?

Comment

Originally posted by bmike-vt View Post
                      Well done!!!!
                      Makes the beer ride in VT look easy!

Are you going to write it all up on the blog?
                      I was going to but I can't log into my blog anymore .... I'll try again another day...
                      sigpic

Comment

Way to hang in there! I was following the whole ride on the web watching the balloons move along :-) . I'm glad a group of riders got to do the whole route and make it seem more doable for others. Can't wait to get out there and see more of the trail.

Comment

Well , blog is updated with the story of my ride... long... like the ride...

A Multi-Day Mountain Bike (MTB) Race  A self supported off road bike-packing race in and around the Adirondack Park of New York State   ht...
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X