No announcement yet.

Boreas Ponds biking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looping this back around to the related thread. Biking has now been permitted on Gulf Brook Road into Boreas Ponds.

This is a nice reversal of the earlier position, and restores a little of my faith in common sense.

Comment

it is now a year later....are bikes allowed..might make my first trip in....thanks

Comment

Yes, bikes are allowed up to the dam. See the "Biking" section here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107504.html
        Looking for views!

Comment

Hybrid or Mt Bike ?

I'll be passing by on Friday and will have a few hours to visit this area for the first time. I can bring either my hybrid or my mountain bike. Suggestions on what to bring ?

Comment

Even though the dirt road beyond the second gate is markedly better than the 3 miles and change before the gate, I would take a mountain bike. Full knobby tires or at least fatter tires will make for a much more comfortable ride in.
            Plenty of water, a camera and a polarizing filter are a must, as well...
            Enjoy the trip.

Comment

The only bike I have is a '70s vintage road bike. Should I forget about using that? I have hiked and skied the entire road (the inner parking area had not been created yet).

Comment

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
                The only bike I have is a '70s vintage road bike. Should I forget about using that? I have hiked and skied the entire road (the inner parking area had not been created yet).
                You would be a lot more comfy on something with wide tires. If your tires are 2" wide or so you'll be fine...otherwise I would say borrow a mountain bike from someone. Not to say it can't be ridden on skinny tires, but why struggle and plow furrows when you can float?

Comment

thanks for the info.....hope to make it this week....color is looking great in the Dacks...

Comment

Went in today, into the dam and back....a little over 7mi round trip...thought there might be more color...still a very nice trip....went with my new bike...great

Comment

It's a Raleigh bike with narrow, relatively high-pressure tires. Maybe I should rent a bike at Cloudsplitter.

Comment

the road in is hard and not much sand...but I do believe that a wider tire would be better....have fun - nice ride

Comment

Working...
                        X