The Adirondack Trail Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Adirondack Trail Ride

Haven't seen any mention of this around here. I don't know anything other than what's on the website. Just though some around here might be interested.

TATR is a 500+ mile, solo, self-supported bikepacking adventure through the Adirondack Mountains of New York State.

I'd totally be into something like this but just don't have that kind of time at this point in my life. Maybe someday.

I posted a thread about it earlier, it's titled "ADK event" . So far 11 have signed up. I've been trying to get ready for it, even did a S24o last night to start getting my gear in order. Planning on taking my vacation time this year to try and ride it. It should be an interesting experience. If anyone is interested, I am doing quite a bit of preparation to my equipment.
    I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

The website is a little thin on details. Most notably... the route itself?

Does anyone have any more insight? Is the route only available to those who have already signed up?

Comment

It says on the "route" page that the GPS route will be available after the Grand Departe for people to do the route as a tour. I'm excited (and a little nervous) to see the actual route myself.

Comment

Sorry about the double post JimB. Didn't mean to thread jack you.

It's common for events like this to not have the detailed route worked out until soon before the event. Not having any info on what the elevations will be like makes planning fairly impossible though.

Wish we could at least get an idea of what the days/milages could be like.

Comment

A course profile would be handy ... There's definitely going to be some hills. I'm trying to drop some weight to ease some of the suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeblesticks View Post
              I'd totally be into something like this but just don't have that kind of time at this point in my life. Maybe someday.
              I'd so love to do something like this someday, but like you have not the time. Maybe when I retire in another 30 years I'll have enough time? Well, maybe in another 10 when my son is on his own...
              Shoes not required

44/46 Almost there!
              26/46 barefoot
              ADK Black River Chapter

Comment

Here is an preliminary, unofficial, non-final, non-sanctioned Google Map of the proposed routes: (One version loops farther NW than the other).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...dg&usp=sharing
                Last edited by jhl99; 08-01-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I spent the weekend checking out the routes and the chances for resupply. With the amount of road sections and locations of the towns, I now feel much more encouraged about doing this trip. I think I can, I think I can :-) Definitely going to go with a different wheelset on the fatbike.

Comment

Looks like quite a bit of road. Any idea yet how much is paved / dirt / trail / single track?

I know it's a PITA to connect lots of the disparate parts of the ADKs that are trails and bike legal... Wondering if this would be cross boke territory or Fargo with 2.1 semi knobbies instead of full on adventure rig.

Excited to see this develop!

Comment

I know of at least one rider that is going with his Fargo.
                      sigpic

Comment

Mike, according to the TATR Route Info the mileage is 516 miles with 293 miles of pavement, 147 miles of dirt road ,69 miles of trail/doubletrack and 38,088 ft of ascent. After checking out the parts of the course that I could identify from the first info, a cross bike or semi knobby would probably work. You would have to compromise on the trails( which I haven't identified) but would have an easier time with the pavement sections. I am going with 29+ wheels on my 907 fatbike. Chronicle on the front and probably a Knard on the back. I am looking at just riding in comfort and taking my time to enjoy a long ride in the ADK's. Mikey ( the organizer) has stated that he will try to add more trails as he is able to in the future. Hope this helps.

Comment

Wow that's a lot of pavement. I hope the dirt and trail sections that get connected with all that are worth it (says the guy who rode from Burlington to Utica as an excuse to ride Moose River Plains...)

I'd be looking Fargo for this (if I still had it) Unless I knew what the trail sections were like. Then if not crazy I might take my dirt road bike with the biggest tires they could fit (40s). Krampus would seem overkill, but the knards roll well enough. Maybe a Conti Race King or WTB Nano or similar for tire on skinny rims.

Looking forward to seeing this unfold and develop. Was hoping to bike camp over there in August but it may be late September before I can make it go.

Comment

The route's up on the web page, the start list is set, wish us luck!

Comment

Originally posted by JimB View Post
                              The route's up on the web page, the start list is set, wish us luck!
                              Have a great ride!
                              Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X