Haskle Road, Hoffmister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haskle Road, Hoffmister

Great ride to the private gate on Sat. Lunch on the bank of West Canada Creek.
    Last edited by madmike; 05-01-2016, 12:33 PM.

That is a good ride! Have a camp near there and have biked it a lot. The gate at Rt 8
    has slowed down the traffic drastically back in there.

Comment

I really want to connect over to Atwell / north lake and then to mckeever from there. There are trails on the DEC map, but I haven't had time to scout them and scwhack through.

Comment

Mike,
        I've been looking at a route through there as well. Using the Nat Geo #745 map: From Haskell Road, Trail #113 to #109 to S. Lake Road to #101 to #105 to Woodhull Lake and out to McKeever. If anyone has any experience on these trails please share!
        Mike
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Riosacandaga View Post
          Mike,
          I've been looking at a route through there as well. Using the Nat Geo #745 map: From Haskell Road, Trail #113 to #109 to S. Lake Road to #101 to #105 to Woodhull Lake and out to McKeever. If anyone has any experience on these trails please share!
          Mike

Yup - those are the ones. Also look at the NY GIS stuff. Looks like a potential, but I've heard wet, beaver dams, etc. Have not been back to get wheels or boots on the ground. Really wanted to make that work on a bikepacking trip from Burlington to Utica. Ran out of time and didn't want to risk backtracking.

Wonder if a winter overnight through could work.

Comment

Based on My adventures near that area, I would carry a saw...

Comment

Originally posted by Riosacandaga View Post
              Mike,
              Mike
              The stretch of trail between North Lake and Sand Lake Falls is pretty wet in spots. As is often the case with snowmobile trails, it's not very well maintained for summer travel when everything isn't frozen.

North of there (in the vicinity of Woodhull Lake) isn't too bad.

I've toyed with the idea of attempting a long distance backpacking trail from Nobleboro to Stillwater, as it would be possible to do it with relatively little road walking (especially if I could safely get across the Moose River at Remsen Falls), but I know that there'd be some pretty wet and swampy slogs along the way.

Comment

There is a green canoe stashed in the woods (70m) in, river left across from the Remsen Falls Lean to.

Comment

Originally posted by madmike View Post
                  There is a green canoe stashed in the woods (70m) in, river left across from the Remsen Falls Lean to.
                  Good to know, but how would I get it back across the river if I'm only going 1-way? And how would I guarantee that on one else has taken it across the river ahead of me and left it on the other side?

I'd probably want to re-visit the area to scout it again to be sure, but I don't think it would be super hard to get across there safely when the water is low if one was properly prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                    Good to know, but how would I get it back across the river if I'm only going 1-way? And how would I guarantee that on one else has taken it across the river ahead of me and left it on the other side?

I'd probably want to re-visit the area to scout it again to be sure, but I don't think it would be super hard to get across there safely when the water is low if one was properly prepared.

I think it's doable depending on water levels / time of year. I thought about it in a trip through years ago by bike and someone somewhere on the web had a trip report of crossing with backpacking gear to avoid walking out to McKeever and around. I'd have to scour bookmarks / history to find it.

Comment

Yeah, that was my thought as well. I've only ever been there once, in the spring, so the water was pretty high then (and there was evidence that even the designated tent sites on the south shore had been underwater not too long before). I would imagine that it probably gets low enough in the summer to get across safely.

Fortunately, it's also not anything like the Kennebeck River in ME where there's a dam upstream of the trail crossing that does unscheduled releases.

Some photos I've found via a google image search make it look like it might even be possible to rock hop across when the water is really low.

Comment

Working...
                      X