Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Question Sliding Rock Falls

There is the well known Sliding Rock Falls on Six Mile Creek south of Cranberry Lake, but there is another on the Robinson River way south of there. It looks like a major blowdown trek. Has anyone ever been there? It looks like a 2-mile hike east of the Five Ponds area. I am wondering if it is worth the hassle. There is also a single engine plane that went down in the fifties that is in the marsh south of the falls (I am told), but it must be overgrown by now. Any experts out there? Thanks!
Marty From SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty From SF View Post
There is the well known Sliding Rock Falls on Six Mile Creek south of Cranberry Lake, but there is another on the Robinson River way south of there. It looks like a major blowdown trek. Has anyone ever been there? It looks like a 2-mile hike east of the Five Ponds area. I am wondering if it is worth the hassle. There is also a single engine plane that went down in the fifties that is in the marsh south of the falls (I am told), but it must be overgrown by now. Any experts out there? Thanks!
Where would you begin your trek? Even before the blowdown the Robinson was well known for rough going in extensive witchhobble. I've not been exactly to the falls, but spent some time in the blowdown just to the south not far away. You've got to be pretty dedicated to get through it, and spend a very long time at it. The problem now is all the dense growth of saplings competing for new found light after the blowdown, which in that region was nearly 100% in large areas. Not only do you rarely touch ground because of constantly climbing over downed very large trees, you can't even see the ground because of ferns and other growth. Combine that with the new sapling growth and it's very dangerous and slow going indeed. I did a trip from Low's to Stillwater via the Oswegatchie headwaters not long ago - a great trip in very wild country requiring lots of patience and calories. I've aborted a couple of trips approaching from the south headed to the Robinson where the falls would be, due to slow travel and running out of time. I remember cresting a ridge and seeing nothing but a few broken off dead stragglers amid a sea of saplings for more than a mile ahead. But you know, I'm still determined to get there.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

And as bad as the southern way is- that would be the way to make any attempt IMO
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Sliding Rock Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Where would you begin your trek? Even before the blowdown the Robinson was well known for rough going in extensive witchhobble. I've not been exactly to the falls, but spent some time in the blowdown just to the south not far away. You've got to be pretty dedicated to get through it, and spend a very long time at it. The problem now is all the dense growth of saplings competing for new found light after the blowdown, which in that region was nearly 100% in large areas. Not only do you rarely touch ground because of constantly climbing over downed very large trees, you can't even see the ground because of ferns and other growth. Combine that with the new sapling growth and it's very dangerous and slow going indeed. I did a trip from Low's to Stillwater via the Oswegatchie headwaters not long ago - a great trip in very wild country requiring lots of patience and calories. I've aborted a couple of trips approaching from the south headed to the Robinson where the falls would be, due to slow travel and running out of time. I remember cresting a ridge and seeing nothing but a few broken off dead stragglers amid a sea of saplings for more than a mile ahead. But you know, I'm still determined to get there.

Well, you've told me what I feared. The writer Peter O'Shea told me that Sliding Rock Falls is not spectacular, but I still am interested in seeking a goal. I would have gone due east from Big Shallow to the river and then upstream, but it seems the blowdown is so fierce that it would not be fun traveling. Thanks for all the information! Maybe...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Well, you've told me what I feared. The writer Peter O'Shea told me that Sliding Rock Falls is not spectacular, but I still am interested in seeking a goal. I would have gone due east from Big Shallow to the river and then upstream, but it seems the blowdown is so fierce that it would not be fun traveling. Thanks for all the information! Maybe...
I was at Oven Lake/Grassy Pond and very nearly to West/Gal/Cracker in 1997 before I turned around. I was traveling with a very light pack, without a boat. I think the route is now even worse due to the sapling and tall fern growth. Oven/Grassy is very intriguing - I plan to get to Oven with a Hornbeck one of these days, but have turned around twice already on aborted trips because it was just too unsafe. It would have to be in early spring before fern growth covers the logs and tree leaf out, or in the fall after a frost kills the ferns and after leaf drop.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Bill I.

Quote:
... The writer Peter O'Shea told me that Sliding Rock Falls is not spectacular...
I've seen the Robinson "River" where it empties into the Oswegatchie, and it is really just a small brook. I doubt the falls are worth the current hassle, although I'm sure that pre-1995 the remoteness factor made up for everything else.

Starting from Big Shallow, you'd be contending with blowdown almost right from the start.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Sliding Rock Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I was at Oven Lake/Grassy Pond and very nearly to West/Gal/Cracker in 1997 before I turned around. I was traveling with a very light pack, without a boat. I think the route is now even worse due to the sapling and tall fern growth. Oven/Grassy is very intriguing - I plan to get to Oven with a Hornbeck one of these days, but have turned around twice already on aborted trips because it was just too unsafe. It would have to be in early spring before fern growth covers the logs and tree leaf out, or in the fall after a frost kills the ferns and after leaf drop.
Where did you put in or get access to Oven/Grassy ponds? That is really remote! Do you know of any maps that show areas of blowdown in detail so you'd know where to avoid? Thanks.
Marty
Old 05-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
colden46

Here's a map I found a while back. I make no claims as to its accuracy -- some spots I've been to look right, others don't.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Blowdown.gif (87.4 KB, 80 views)
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Where did you put in or get access to Oven/Grassy ponds? That is really remote! Do you know of any maps that show areas of blowdown in detail so you'd know where to avoid? Thanks.
Marty
It involves a little paddling, a little hiking, then a little more paddling followed by more hiking. As I said, my approach to this and the area of the Robinson was from the south.

Interesting patterns on the blowdown map, especially the thin long straight linear features. Probably more an artifact of the observer track than of reality. Not shown in some of the fairly untouched areas are pockets of severe damage. The wind went skipping along as if a roller coaster, up and over ridges then blasting valleys on the other side - or vice-versa. Particularly hard hit was anything on the SE side of a low point in a ridge where the wind could get funneled through. I've found that if I am caught in a severely impacted area, if I can just move over to slightly different terrain while heading to my goal then things may be better. It can be very hit and miss.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-28-2008 at 08:59 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote