Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Tom McG

Perkins Clearing/Speculator Tree Farm Conservation Easement

Perkins Clearing/Speculator Tree Farm Conservation Easement

For all those interested in the Perkins Clearing Area, DEC is in the process of developing a Recreational Management Plan (RMP) for the Perkins Clearing Ė Speculator Tree Farm and Oxbow Conservation Easement Area, in the area north of Speculator on both sides of Rte 30.

Areas that could be affected are access to the Upper Jessup River, Pillsbury Mt. Spruce Lake along the N-P Trail, and the Rock Pond-Long Pond Trail, the Kunjamuk Trail as well as access points to Elm Lake and the Kunjamuk River.

These former International Paper Lands (IP) are now owned by the Lyme Adirondack Timberlands, LLC. While IP and DEC had agreed on a Conservation Easement for continuous access along the Perkins Clearing-Jessup River Road (see Jessup River UMP appendix 18) the new owners are obviously not living up to that original agreement.

For many years I have hikes, skied and paddled in the Perkins Clearing area and was quite surprised to find the Perkins Clearing- Jessup River road gated and locked when I tried to access the Upper Jessup River on May 11th. There was a new sign at the gate indicating that the road was closed from Dec 1 to May 30. During the late 80ís and early 90ís I leased land in the Speculator Tree Farm (East side of Rte 30) and often played in the Perkins Clearing area and donít recall ever seeing this road closed.

There is a Public Open House that will be held on Friday, May 30, 2008 from 7:00 to 9:00 PM at the Lake Pleasant Central School, located ľ-miles east of the 4-corners of Rte. 30 & 8.
With gas prices topping $4.00 a gallon it may be difficult to make it to the Open House in Lake Pleasant but comments can also be sent to Marcus Riehl at New York State Department of Conservation, 701 South Main Street, P.O. Box 1316, Northville, NY 12134 or use his e-mail address Ė mbriehl@gw.dec.state.ny.us

Please ask DEC to insist that the Lyme Adirondack Timberlands continue to allow recreational access to these lands.

Thanks,
Tom McG
Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McG View Post
For many years I have hikes, skied and paddled in the Perkins Clearing area and was quite surprised to find the Perkins Clearing- Jessup River road gated and locked when I tried to access the Upper Jessup River on May 11th. There was a new sign at the gate indicating that the road was closed from Dec 1 to May 30. During the late 80ís and early 90ís I leased land in the Speculator Tree Farm (East side of Rte 30) and often played in the Perkins Clearing area and donít recall ever seeing this road closed.
David P. was griping about this too.

Bear in mind, though, that the roads through Perkins Clearing are seasonal, and as such it is normal for them to be closed through mid-May. In the winter they are used as high-volume snowmobile trails, and as with any snowmobile trail the snow can become so hard packed that it takes longer to melt.

I drove up to the Pillsbury Mountain trailhead on May 20th and everything was open... a little rough in places, but open.

Those gates have been there for quite a while... at least for the 10 years I've been going up Route 30. But yes, it would be nice to have winter access to the northern West Canada Lake Wilderness.

I emailed David this link to DEC's website, where they list the status of roads and trails throughout Region 5.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Tom McG

Bill,
You may be wrong on the road closing; I drove into the Jessup River Bridge and paddled the upper Jessup on April 22 of last year and I was able to drive all the way through. To Mason Lake. I also have a journal entry dated January 12, 1994 where I drove to the Sled Harbor Gate and skied into Pillsbury Mt. I know I did similar trips earlier then that but I didnít start keeping notes until 1992. Dave forwarded that link to me and that is where I first found out that the road was open by the 15th. I canít verify that the road was open or closed between 1994 and 2007.

When I returned from my paddle on the 11th, I contacted Neil Woodworth to ask if there had been any changes because of the change of owners and he forwarded my inquiry to DEC. Shortly after that I received a letter from Marcus Riehl, the Region 5 Forester about the ďpublic open houseĒ on the RMP. I still havenít heard of a reason why it was closed in the first place or why they opened before the stated May 31st date. But I would like to thing I may have had some little part in reopening the road.

Tom
P.S. Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it for future reference.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I think that rather then a "hard" opening date, it epends on the road conditions, when they can get in to grade it and when they feel it has dried sufficiently to allow vehicular traffic without tearing it up more.

I travel by there often and the opening has always been erratic. Same with West River Road to Whitehouse in Wells. The opening is more condition specific then it is date specific
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Ain't MUDSEASON a pain! Now with fuel so high they will have less money to rake the road each spring....

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Questions answered, so another little slightly, off-topic aside:

Kind of interesting, how some of that area worked out. A number of people were upset over the state/IPC land swap. Yet, if it wasn't for that...there's a good chance that some of the smaller side-lots of the original plot would have been sold to a few individuals by IPC, such as: favored IPC employees, or a shady internal lawyer, whom deals in the company's realty.

Seen it happen in other places.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

In the case of actual landowners with deeded right-of-ways across state land: Many of them are provided with lock keys/combinations for access, during mud season. However, most of them are good pilgrims & wait for the roads to harden, before trying to ply the seasonal roads...so, to not make ruts & people angry.

At least, that's how it is in much of Region 6.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote