Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
mountaintony

hey guys new here

hi, i am trying hot tenting what would you use in the tent as far as lighting goes i have a cloeman gas lantern that i would use in the tent those lanterns that use batteries just don't last. what would you use????
mountaintony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a hot tenter so I am unable to provide any insight for you. Sorry.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
richard1726

Stay vented with your gas lantern.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

And don't knock it over. My personal opinion is that it's a recipe for disaster.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
bioguide

I would not use a coleman lantern. I use a headlamp as needed and a candle lantern. You might want to visit this forum for more information related to winter hot tenting: http://www.wintertrekking.com/ and search your question there.

Bioguide

Last edited by bioguide; 12-08-2012 at 06:46 PM..
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

the new led battery lanterns do last. ive saw some little coleman ones go 18 hours and they put off a ton of light also very light weight and packable. i personally use my headlamp it last for 30 hours with duracell aaa's.

Last edited by mmetzgier; 12-20-2012 at 08:15 PM..
mmetzgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

i have a coleman with a 15 watt cfl its 6500k so its daylight spectrum and it lasts in my hunting cabin all winter in the cold. ive changed the batteries 2 times in two year as it does not get much use but it is heavy for my standards for lugging it into the woods in my pack. it uses 4 d cells.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
mountaintony

these batteries

these batteries are ok in summer, but what about ontario Canada it can get to -40 i got some candle lanterns
mountaintony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

that will kill them quick. i have good luck with duracells but i keep them in a warm spot when im hiking and camping. who wants to really carry a pocket full of batteries tho,lol. idk why or how my cfl lantern last so long but when it is really cold it takes a bit for it to get bright.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

also, batteries that die from the cold will usually regenerate some power if you warm them up. if its gonna be that cold tho id use white gas and candles, both of which i keep in my cabin just in case.