Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Float planes on Lows?

I didn't want to steal another thread that has morphed into discussion of illegal access to a wilderness area and DEC's refusal to enforce an existing UMP.

But this reminds me of the continued float plane access at Lows Lake...
I can't remember what was the resolve in the float plane case. There were several deadlines and milestones, one of which is a Dec. 31, 2012 deadline, as published in a 2009 draft amendment to the UMP.
Or have float planes already been eliminated from Lows?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

My understanding is that float plane access was to cease at the end of last year, so December 31st, 2011. This was based on conversations with groups camped on the lake when I hiked into Grass Pond via the canoe carry from Cranberry Lake and camped there.

This Adirondack Daily Enterprise article seems to confirm this: http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...id/506005.html

I've heard some horror stories, but I personally never had any problems with float plane groups or their impacts. I've only been back there twice, though- once on a week long canoe trip in June of 2010. It was obvious that someone had gone in and cleaned up every campsite only a few days prior to our trip (probably the DEC, although someone said that the float plane companies were going back there and cleaning sites up as part of an effort improve their image). The second time was the aforementioned backpacking trip, which was in late November, so I only encountered those few groups. I had Grass Pond all to myself that night.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I've heard some horror stories, but I personally never had any problems with float plane groups or their impacts. I've only been back there twice, though- once on a week long canoe trip in June of 2010. It was obvious that someone had gone in and cleaned up every campsite only a few days prior to our trip (probably the DEC, although someone said that the float plane companies were going back there and cleaning sites up as part of an effort improve their image).
I've paddled Lows at least once every year, often multiple times, ever since 1990. I don't know about the float plane outfitters doing any major cleanup, as at least one of the two regular flyers has made some pretty bad impressions reflected in the undesirable quality and activities of their clients they have dropped off. I personally experienced one particular horror story that I have told in other threads. The ranger told me what I experienced was not unusual. Which is not to say that all paddlers are angels either.

On the other hand, I know the BSA camp director at Sabattis arranges for a beginning of season cleanup trip of all the sites on the lake. He says they come back with dozens of garbage bags full of trash. I wouldn't doubt that later in the season scout troops do the same as part of their environmental award while at camp.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

D,
I saw that article, and I read the draft UMP amendment, neither of those are definitive.
I was last there was in the fall of 2011, and I saw no planes, but it was a miserable weekend for paddling, worse for flying I would imagine.
So, whether the deadline was 2011 or 2012, I suppose there will be no more float planes at Lows??
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
bluequill

I spoke with Pete Helms in the spring and he indicated there would not be anymore flights into Lows. I did not engage in the politics of the matter.....feeling it would be better left untouched.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote